By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Global Hardware Up 27 December 2014

Interesting sales.....is Wii U REALLY that low? Wow

The absence of evidence is NOT the evidence of absence...

PSN: StlUzumaki23

Around the Network
Clyde32 said:
thelalaby said:

I'm not sure I understand what you're trying to say... care to elaborate?

I'm saying, that what he means is 1 week of Mario Kart does not account for 5 months of sales. 

I agree, but Wii U also had price drop momentum early that year and the Mario Kart 8 boost was rather substantial, and IMO will be bigger than any short-term boost provided by Kirby, Yoshi or Mario Party 10. However, any long-term effect throughout the spring and early summer will not be enough to push the Wii U up by 20%, but that's just my prediction.

ExplodingBlock said:
thelalaby said:

Wrong.

What makes you think Wii U will be up 20% YOY though? That is, of course, assuming it doesn't get adjusted down once we get official data... the last Yoshi and Kirby titles did only okay on the 3DS, and even back in the Wii days, Kirby barely scratched 2 million worldwide. To put things into perspective even more, Wii U was up by less than 5% YOY in November in the US, you know in the month that Smash U released, not to mention that it was down massively in Japan in November and December over last year.

Really, I'm curious. I'd love to hear what makes you so sure about this.

My mistake about Mk8 coming out after E3, but I am still sure it can sell 1m before E3

More Games=More Boosts

Mk8 had one big boost, but about a week before E3

MP10 and Mario Maker will provide very nice sales boosts for Wii U

Also you compare Kirby on the Wii, but as you may have forgotten, Wii U has insane attach rates

Yoshi and Kirby will also provide some boosts, not nearly as big as the other games, but still enough to get Wii U above 10m before June

Insane attach rates? It is currently at about 4.7 games per system in over 2 years whereas PS4 is at 4.4 in just over 1 year with a much higher install base.

The One and Only

VizionEck.com

Ninsect said:
Clyde32 said:
thelalaby said:

I'm saying, that what he means is 1 week of Mario Kart does not account for 5 months of sales. 

Problem is that none of the games announced for WiiU for early 2015 will give meaningful boosts. Did Bayonetta 2 do it? Did Hyrule Warriors do it? Did Wonderful 101 do it? Did Smash do it? Only a small boost.

Precisely.

Solid week of sales I guess.

Around the Network
thelalaby said:
Clyde32 said:
thelalaby said:

I agree, but Wii U also had price drop momentum early that year and the Mario Kart 8 boost was rather substantial, and IMO will be bigger than any short-term boost provided by Kirby, Yoshi or Mario Party 10. However, any long-term effect throughout the spring and early summer will not be enough to push the Wii U up by 20%, but that's just my prediction.

I'm neutral in this argument, but I'll say that constant releases will improve the baseline, which we don't even know what will be. 

Ka-pi96 said:
TheGoldenBoy said:
Solid week of sales I guess.

Yeah, but the last one for a while. Just think, the sales are all going to fall of a cliff now, it will be kind of depressing

True, but at least we'll see how the price cut affects the XBO and hopefully February will be somewhat interesting.

Ninsect said:
ExplodingBlock said:
thelalaby said:

Wrong.

What makes you think Wii U will be up 20% YOY though? That is, of course, assuming it doesn't get adjusted down once we get official data... the last Yoshi and Kirby titles did only okay on the 3DS, and even back in the Wii days, Kirby barely scratched 2 million worldwide. To put things into perspective even more, Wii U was up by less than 5% YOY in November in the US, you know in the month that Smash U released, not to mention that it was down massively in Japan in November and December over last year.

Really, I'm curious. I'd love to hear what makes you so sure about this.

My mistake about Mk8 coming out after E3, but I am still sure it can sell 1m before E3

More Games=More Boosts

Mk8 had one big boost, but about a week before E3

MP10 and Mario Maker will provide very nice sales boosts for Wii U

Also you compare Kirby on the Wii, but as you may have forgotten, Wii U has insane attach rates

Yoshi and Kirby will also provide some boosts, not nearly as big as the other games, but still enough to get Wii U above 10m before June

Insane attach rates? It is currently at about 4.7 games per system in over 2 years whereas PS4 is at 4.4 in just over 1 year with a much higher install base.

Try harder!He refers to the major first parties....

CGI-Quality said:
Qermity said:
SJReiter said:

It's next week right?

Indeed

Such as?

I only heard that according to "reliable sources" the X1 was apparently at about 8.5 million sold through at the beginning of December.

bubblegamer said:
ExplodingBlock said:
bubblegamer said:
WiiU always overtracked it seems. I wonder why we haven't had any adjustments for it like X1 and PS4 had..

Because Nintendo hasn't released any shipment/sales numbers recently

Expect some on the 27th, when they are releasing a quarterly report

Ah i see. Not that long from now then

It isn't overtracked,and seriously don't do that!8.8M,Wii u is at 7.29m as of 27th September,nintendo at worst scenario will ship the same amount that shipped in the same quarter in 2013,i.e 1.95M!With that it goes 9.24m shipped as of 28th December,so it won't be overtracked...