By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - GTA V is the best selling Retail game of all time!

Darwinianevolution said:
This thread evolved from "GTA is the best-selling game ever" to "Wii sports and Minecraft don't count because of reasons". Lol. I think a GTAV release on the WiiU with Mario skins would calm down everyone here. PC mods soon.

It would be better to discuss if it is the best selling retail game ever. If we count digital, then Minecraft and Wii Sports would be obliterated by US$ 1 versions of Tetris, Angry Birds and such. That's probably why discussing revenue would be more reasonable (correcting previous games by the inflation).

But we can't deny that most top-seling games wouldn't come close to that number without massive bundles. GTA has the merit of getting there only with light bundling.

Around the Network

Looks like Minecraft currently holds that title, also I'd expect the PC version to sell quite a lot once it releases instead of a mere "few units".

Step right up come on in, feel the buzz in your veins, I'm like an chemical electrical right into your brain and I'm the one who killed the Radio, soon you'll all see

So pay up motherfuckers you belong to "V"

Dr.Vita said:
spurgeonryan said:
Wii sports?

I don't count it and you also shouldn't. It was sold with every Wii 2-3 years.

Except it does. People didn't buy the Wii -- they bought Wii Sports, which happened to be bundled with the console. :P

I predict NX launches in 2017 - not 2016

JazzB1987 said:

It also killed my PS3 :)

Stuck in an update loop since I started to update my PS3 with the firmware provided on the disk.

Also a single system jump n run in the 80s (that was a launch game!) vs a multiplatform action game in the mid 2010's (where even everyones grandma or baby is playing games) is kinda an unfair comparison.

Fair would be to add every single version of the game to the Mario sales. Be it the GBA Nes classics or the Virtual console versions etc.
(The Gameboy or Wii etc versions of the Mario is more similar to the NES game than the updates modified new gen version of GTA is to its last gen counterpart. GTA5 on PS4 is more like WindWaker to WindWaker HD than a normal port)

If SMB hadn't been bundled with practically every single NES in the US it would be unfair I guess.

The One and Only

VizionEck.com

Clyde32 said:
BMaker11 said:

There's absolutely no way to prove that. It was with every console. It'd be like saying people buy Froot Loops for the yellow rings and wouldn't buy Froot Loops if the yellow rings weren't in there. There's no way to make a factual statement about that because the latter option isn't available. You cannot say that people wouldn't buy a Wii without a game when the only way to get the Wii is with the game. Like I said, it's like the XBone and AC. Only way to get an XBone right now is with AC bundled. You wouldn't dare say people wouldn't buy an Xbone unless AC was with it, and yet that's what you're implying by saying that the only reason people bought a console is because of a game they had no option but to receive.

There's also no way to say otherwise. Other than looking at the difference between the Wii and the Gamecube. That difference was Wii Sports. 

No, the difference was the waggle. Wii Sports helped sell it but the controller was the reason for its popularity.

The One and Only

VizionEck.com

Around the Network
Chazore said:
Looks like Minecraft currently holds that title, also I'd expect the PC version to sell quite a lot once it releases instead of a mere "few units".

Nah if we count digital plenty of games have sold more than MC (see: mobile games)

The One and Only

VizionEck.com

Pretty sure Minecraft has sold 7 billion by now.

If you demand respect or gratitude for your volunteer work, you're doing volunteering wrong.

Tetris has 425 million mobile sales
Puzzle game totals about 70 million in retail
http://www.computerandvideogames.com/457963/tetris-has-425-million-mobile-sales/
As of April 9th 2014, that 425 million number doesn't count free-to-play iterations like EA's Tetris Blitz

Nothing will ever take Wii Sports' crown.

So it sold 40mil on a install base of 200 mil not bad. A