By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - GTA V is the best selling Retail game of all time!

Just for shits 'n' giggles let's say stuff like WiiSports, Tetris, and Minecraft don't count. (which they do) It still took two generations and 4 consoles to get to what Mario did in one generation on one console. What happens if we include 1/4 of a sale from every copy of Super Mario All Stars for SNES and Wii, the GBA port, and virtual console sales on Wii, 3DS, and WiiU? Would be interesting if we could get some solid digital numbers for the two.

8th gen predictions. (made early 2014)
PS4: 60-65m
WiiU: 30-35m
X1: 30-35m
3DS: 80-85m
PSV: 15-20m

Around the Network
spurgeonryan said:
Dr.Vita said:
spurgeonryan said:
Wii sports?

I don't count it and you also shouldn't. It was sold with every Wii 2-3 years.

But people bought the Wii for it. They would not have if it was not made.

Now, you know you don't know that. People didn't have a choice. It was with every console sold for that time period. No other options. It's like Xbone right now. Only one out is the AC Bundle. No vanilla Xbones are can be found right now. Would you say every person who buys at Xbone right now bought it for AC and would not have bought the XBone without AC?

The inverse would be, you think the Wii would have sold 0 without Wii Sports or XBone would have sold 0 without AC? That's what you're implying, if you're saying that people people wouldn't buy a particular console if a certain bundle wasn't made.....when that bundle is the only means of getting the console.

Clyde32 said:
GTAexpert said:
Darwinianevolution said:
Tetris and Wii Sports in retail.
Super Mario Bros and Minecraft counting digital.

GTA V almost certainly sold more counting digital than Super Mario Bros.

How certain?

Digital sales are a lot higher these days especially on new consoles.

I also read somewhere that GTA V became the best-selling PS3 game on PSN in its launch month.

GTA V is the best selling game of all time, not counting every game that sold more.

To be serious, no. You haven't considered the next equation:

NINTENDO games = rehash (example: Super Mario Galaxy is a rehash of Super Mario Bros)
If NINTENDO games are rehashs, then every NINTENDO game is the same
Therefore:

Super Mario Bros Sales = SMB+SMBLL+SMB2USA+SMB3+SMW+SM64+SMSS+SMG+SMG2+NSMBWii+NSMBDS+NSMB2+NSMBU+SM3DL+SM3DW+SMK+MK64+MKDD+MKWii....

Basically, SMB is still the best selling game of all time.

Proud to be the first cool Nintendo fan ever

Number ONE Zelda fan in the Universe

DKCTF didn't move consoles

Prediction: No Zelda HD for Wii U, quietly moved to the succesor

Predictions for Nintendo NX and Mobile

Around the Network
GTAexpert said:

Digital sales are a lot higher these days especially on new consoles.

I also read somewhere that GTA V became the best-selling PS3 game on PSN in its launch month.

I meant how certain are you on the exact digital sales of SMB?

Gonna add the remasters and such? It's only fair to add SMB ports as well....all of them.

Let me guess, "they don't count"?

BMaker11 said:
spurgeonryan said:
Dr.Vita said:
spurgeonryan said:
Wii sports?

I don't count it and you also shouldn't. It was sold with every Wii 2-3 years.

But people bought the Wii for it. They would not have if it was not made.

Now, you know you don't know that. People didn't have a choice. It was with every console sold for that time period. No other options. It's like Xbone right now. Only one out is the AC Bundle. No vanilla Xbones are can be found right now. Would you say every person who buy at Xbone right now bought it for AC and would not have bought the XBone without AC?

But people wouldn't have bought a wii if this game didn't exist. 

misinformation, buddy.

forethought14 said:
Gonna add the remasters and such? It's only fair to add SMB ports as well....all of them.

Let me guess, "they don't count"?

Ka-pi96 said:
*not including bundled games
*not including digital games
*not including PC games
*not including mobile games