By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - An actual well informed gaming article on the console war

"PS4 wins by doing absolutely nothing" is what I like to call it.

Hey, it worked. I will not fault them for finding a strategy that gives them $$$. Though I kinda find it ironic how people always make fun of Nintendo and the Wii for appealing to casuals, yet Sony is clearly doing the same thing with the PS4. You know, like every single top selling console in history.

Official Tokyo Mirage Sessions #FE Thread

Around the Network
Ka-pi96 said:
xenogears1234 said:
Ka-pi96 said:
It is pretty good.

Although this bit is a load of crap. 'If even Sony can’t comprehend why their system is selling so well, I’m not going to pretend like I have all the answers. To some extent, it does defy logic.'
It is obvious why it is selling so well. It gives gamers exactly what they wanted, it really is that simple.

Agreed on the defy logic comment, but he nailed it when he talked about it being a game system first and foremost vs the more gimmicky aspects of the wii-u controller and the xbox kinect launch forced bundle.

Yep that's true. Gamers want game systems first, not gimmicks.

I have to agree with that. Gimmicks matter to the casuals. 

the way I see it, what Sony did right with the PS4 is that they basically made a PS2 in 2013. its funny, and probably explains why even Nintendo and Microsoft got it wrong and is directly related to Sony learning from their mistake with the PS3...

Maybe, just maybe, all anyone REALLY wants from a game console, is a game console.

if people really wanted different, them they would have bought different.

Goodnightmoon said:
Lawlight said:
It's got one thing wrong - the PS4 is the default system of choice now, not simply because of the competitors dropped the ball, but also because gamers know that it will end up having the best library of the gen.

You know it's true. PS1, PS2 and PS3 - all the best libraries of their generations. But it's ok - gamers speak with their wallets.

Goodnightmoon said:
Lawlight said:
It's got one thing wrong - the PS4 is the default system of choice now, not simply because of the competitors dropped the ball, but also because gamers know that it will end up having the best library of the gen.

I love that gif but it feels so innappropriately placed. Nintendo my have the "best" line up... but as far as sheer amount of mainstream and casual games + AAA Playstation is where it's at. 

Around the Network

I agree with some things in that article and other things not so much. Nintendo's problems stem back generations ago and that they rely too much on gimmicks to sell their consoles. They don't need to change their damn controller every console gen. MS showed it's true colors and it's still feeling the consequences of it in spite of some gamers short term memory. It didn't learn anything from it.

Skullwaker said:
"PS4 wins by doing absolutely nothing" is what I like to call it.

Hey, it worked. I will not fault them for finding a strategy that gives them $$$. Though I kinda find it ironic how people always make fun of Nintendo and the Wii for appealing to casuals, yet Sony is clearly doing the same thing with the PS4. You know, like every single top selling console in history.

sony is doing what the ps1, ps2 and 360 did before it. a console for gamers first. gamers did not want kindest. they do not want a touchpad or tablet pad. 

and the ps4 is not selling to casuals. and the only top selling console in history that ride the casual market was the Wii. and Nintendo were too stupid or stubborn to see that that market had moved on to smartphones. hell they didn't even change the name of the console.

Lawlight said:
Goodnightmoon said:
Lawlight said:

You know it's true. PS1, PS2 and PS3 - all the best libraries of their generations. But it's ok - gamers speak with their wallets.

The last one is highly debatable - the 360 has an astounding library of awesome games.

In fact the last generation is the best argument for why we should all want a very competitive Xbox One. Sony and Microsoft have both run very well supported consoles for a very long time as a result of that competition. Add to that the promise of the usual high-quality Nintendo titles on their platform, and that model is clearly the best for gamers.

starcraft - Playing Games = FUN, Talking about Games = SERIOUS

Is it me or is Europe actually the main reason why PS4 is selling so well? I feel like Europeans are buying the console to the extreme compared to even past consoles. And this is surprising especially when you see the console doing so well in countries where the economy is bad like Spain.

starcraft said:
Lawlight said:
Goodnightmoon said:
Lawlight said:

The last one is highly debatable - the 360 has an astounding library of awesome games.

In fact the last generation is the best argument for why we should all want a very competitive Xbox One. Sony and Microsoft have both run very well supported consoles for a very long time as a result of that competition. Add to that the promise of the usual high-quality Nintendo titles on their platform, and that model is clearly the best for gamers.

360 does have an astounding library but, game for game, the PS3 etches ahead. I think that's pretty generally accepted.