By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Japan: Updated with Media Create and Famitsu to Dec 28.

Conegamer said:
MoHasanie said:
Poor Wii U.

Yeah, that's pretty much all you can say about it really.

Japan was the only region it could do well in. Now its struggling there too. 

NNID: FrequentFlyer54

Around the Network

I think guys that the new3ds/xl have passed psvita's YTD...

Aerys said:
Meret said:

RIP PS4

Moderated - Kresnik.

How can you  be a gamer and wish thé death of home consoles now représented by PS4 in japan ? Its beyond logic

No different from the bunch of Wii U haters.

I'm very uneducated in this, but is the economy in Japan not doing all that well? Do people not have enough money to spend on consoles than they did before, or do the Japansese just not have an intrest in home consoles anymore?

Poliwrathlord said:
I'm very uneducated in this, but is the economy in Japan not doing all that well? Do people not have enough money to spend on consoles than they did before, or do the Japansese just not have an intrest in home consoles anymore?

I think it has less to do with the economy and more to do with the fact that they have a tightly spaced, busy and highly competitive society where handheld formats simply fit the bill better in modern day, the average home console software production has also taken a large step towards more Western centric philosophy and values, thus catering less to the Japanese audience in general. Even Europe and the US during the worst bout with the financial crisis had a thriving videogame and console market.

The Japanese gaming market appears to simply have vastly different priorities and preferences when compared to other major markets and this trend is likely to grow in the future; I've been saying all along that no home console in the 8th gen will sell 10 million sales lifetime and I see no reason to back out of that seeing the weekly charts.

Around the Network

Not impressive from any console. This year will tell us everything we need to know about the PS4 in Japan for this entire generation. If sales are not much better next year, then that will be very unfortunate

Onii-sama not bad, but not good either : pretty much the traditional anime fanbase that's buying games.

Q1 can't come soon enough to free us from those horrible charts :(

bubblegamer said:
POE said:
Ouch the PS4 is selling really bad.

At least it has something to look out for

Yeah i know, greatness awaits right?

forest-spirit said:
2013 Wii U > 2014 Wii U + PS4

3DS did great but there are simply no excuses for the terrible performance shown by the rest.

Great might be a little too much, but I agree with your overall sentiment.

LTD in its fourth year (cut off at week51 of respective years)
3DS 17.628.715 (2014)
PS2 13.814.495 (2003)

YTD 4th year (cut off at week51 of respective years)
3DS 2.934.704 (2014)
PS2 2.809.795 (2003)

YTD 3rd year
3DS 4.722.616 (2013)
PS2 3.732.020 (2002)
GBA 3.613.269 (2003)

3DS is performing pretty good compared to the other big sellers, it is everything else that is performing horribly, prior there was one or two other systems performing great besides the market leader, that is just not the case anymore.

WiiU week45 (Famitsu):

PS4 week45 LTD (Famitsu):
925.570 (Famitsu)

Launches aligned, the PS4 is also performing worse than the WiiU, however when taking into account that the WiiU launch in the Holiday seasons as well as the software available on each platform and the price; the PS4 is doing well compared to it.

Japan as a whole is getting pretty depressing, the UK, Germany and France are becoming more important markets than it, and is just going to get worse.