By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - If Nintendo launches a new console in 2016 (AMD Rumors) ...... will it be 8th or 9th gen

Consoles of the same generation have shipped 3 or 4 years apart before. There's no way Nintendo would put out a new home console in 2016 though, and absolutely no way the PS5 and Xbtwo will launch in 2020. 2018, 2019 at the very latest.

8th gen predictions. (made early 2014)
PS4: 60-65m
WiiU: 30-35m
X1: 30-35m
3DS: 80-85m
PSV: 15-20m

Around the Network

It would be 9th gen without question.

Oh my word guys, they said it will be revealed in 2016, not released. Plus, it could be a handheld.

Welfare said:

9th gen by time released only.

And everything else that determines a generation.

Clyde32 said:
Welfare said:

Like what? The only reason the Wii U is considered 8th gen is because of when it was launched.

Won bet with t3mporary_126 - I correctly predicted that the Wii U's LTD at the end of 2014 would be closer to 9 million than 10 million. http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=6673287

Around the Network
Welfare said:
Clyde32 said:
Welfare said:

Like what? The only reason the Wii U is considered 8th gen is because of when it was launched.

Which is precisely why the other two are considered 8th gen. Also because of their launch position among their line of consoles.

I will remain loyal to Nintendo regardless.

I have read through the comments and not many people are bringing what Nintendo has already said. There are plans for a Quality of Life tech which may not be a successor the the WiiU. I believe Nintendo has said that their next big gaming platform will be a merger of a console and a handled (and focus there game development onto a single device).

Even if this rumor is true, the 2016 date might be an optimistic tentative date for AMD. I would still considered it most likely that Nintendo next big gaming platform will come out in November 2017.

Games I have Finished

http://pastebin.com/eMdjSjFc

Who cares? In all honesty I would consider both Wii's as part of last gen because that is their level of hardware and online functionality. The new console will be a stronger, Nintendo version of the PS4.

novasonic said:
Consoles of the same generation have shipped 3 or 4 years apart before. There's no way Nintendo would put out a new home console in 2016 though, and absolutely no way the PS5 and Xbtwo will launch in 2020. 2018, 2019 at the very latest.

I agree MS/Sony wouldn't wait that long, but Nintendo would be stupid to not launch by 2017.

i think Ninty will release their HH in '16 for $199. Console that plays the same games will be optional, but to satisfy their home con. fanbase, it will be moderately powerful and release at a friendly $250 later that same yr. could be on par with PS4 .

I originally thought Ninty would make an optional home console, at the same price as the HH. However, Nintendo may feel people won't buy it, that their HH is good enough. For the Smash U NDirect, ninty was touting the big difference between the 3DS and U versions graphically...so there is a decent chance with the home console being optional, it would pack good power (ninty may not produce too many, only to meet demands, etc).