By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - The first games you owned/played...

Was the first game you played a good or bad experience?

Good 73 96.05%

Bad 3 3.95%

Total:76

This will likely all take us all back on a nostalgia trip, in the form of two questions.

1. What was the game or games that you ever played or owned?

2. How would you define your experience with those games and did they impact on your future preferences?

My answers:

Ecco the Dolphin and Sonic CD were the first games that I had ever had the pleasure of owning and playing. Both of these games were PC ports of their Sega CD counterparts. So my gaming journey began on the PC. My experience with Sonic CD was a very positive one. I like the levels in the game, the speed of the game, but my favorite part of this game was by far the time travel aspect it had. I remember being able to make it through most of the stages until I hit Metalic Madness, which for me was where the difficultly took an insane jump (at least younger me though so). I was able to complete this game multiple times though. In retrospect, I'd honestly consider Sonic CD easy in comparison to the other 2d Sonics.

I probably spent more time playing Ecco the Dolphin and it was probably my most played game as a child (at least before the age of 10 or 11). In retrospect, it was and still is the most difficult game I ever played. Now younger me had no concept of difficulty yet. I only had Sonic CD to compare to at that point, but I did get far more of a challenge playing through Ecco, which is probably why I kept going back to it. There was certainly challenge throughout and I made plenty of deep runs into the game. Of course the one major roadblock that I could never get past as a kid was the final level prior to the boss. Anyone that has played Ecco can probably relate to the feelings you get when you hit the "Welcome to the Machine" level. Unforgiving is a generous way to describe the level. It wasn't until over a decade later (2008) that I finally beat that level in a run playing the Genesis version on the 360.

I enjoyed both of these games a lot and both remain on my own personal list of favorite games. I ended up eventually playing the other 2d Sonic and I ended up picking up Ecco the Dolphin: Defender of the Future close to when it released on the PS2. I would say having Sonic CD as one of my first games certainly effected my preference on 2d platformers... As I hold Sonic to be number 1 in that regard.

Current gaming platforms - Switch, PlayStation 4, Xbox One, Wii U, New 3DS, PC

Around the Network

Sonic the hedgehog 2 shaped me into a gamer.

NNID: MagicalLight

FC: 4124 - 5888 - 4804

My first video game was Pokemon FireRed. It was a fantastic experience, I clocked over 400 hours into it, which is still to this day my most played game. It certainly has shaped my preferences, as Pokemon is still my favorite series. In hindsight, however, it is actually my least favorite main series Pokemon game, because it was so limited by trying to be like the original. Although I guess that makes it good for my first one.

NNID: garretslarrity

Steam: garretslarrity

Kirby and the Amazing Mirror
Basically the reason I play video games and love Nintendo as much as I do today

Hah, kinda hard. It was between Pokemon Yellow and Super Mario Bros. Deluxe. They didn't do much to my future, as my first consoles were a PS1 and PS2. But I do love now Pokemon and Mario.

What probably made me a gamer was Crash Bandicoot (and me being jealous of my friend with an N64 and Smash Bros.). I probably played for hours as a kid everyday. After that, I wanted to play any and every game available.

Bet with bluedawgs: I say Switch will outsell PS4 in 2018, he says PS4 will outsell Switch. He's now permabanned, but the bet will remain in my sig.

NNID: Slarvax - Steam: Slarvax - Friend Code:  SW 7885-0552-5988

Around the Network

Can you even have a bad experience from your first game? I mean you have no standards and most new things are fun as a kid. Well maybe if it was Resident Evil..

The first games I played might've been Tetris and Super Mario Land on Gameboy. I still play both of them nowadays and kept enjoying puzzle games and jump n runs in my later years.

Halo: Combat Evolved

I can't remember what the game was called, but I do remember it being on the first computer I ever saw. You were in a maze, which was just blocks drawn with lines, but in 3D. You could go north, south, east or west, and you had to type in your directions. There was text, saying what you could hear. The object of the game was to navigate through the maze without being found and killed by the monster that prowled within it.

Super Mario World.

My cousin had a NES, and I used to play Super Contra with him, but my first official game was SMW.

1st 3 games i played were Super Mario World(SNES), Sonic The Hedgehog(Game Gear) & Rainbow Island(Amiga 500), i was 3 years old in 1992.