By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Define "Nintendo Magic"

bubblegamer said:

Correct on Splatoon. Remains to be seen if a good game, but it's a new IP and that is a step in the right direction. I was once a very happy Nintendo gamer, they just lost me because i changed and they didn't.

Newer games and IP's could bring in new people who get tired of the old formula. Which is why i cheer on change, but that's a topic for another discussion.

Yeah, whether it lives up to its potential remains to be seen, but I'm getting good vibes so far.

Around the Network

I think it's just because Nintendo games tend to bring out my inner child at heart, even if the games are "mature", similar to the way Disney films do it. Not entirely sure why they're able to capture that feeling so often and why other companies have a hard time doing so, but that's just how it is to me. Doesn't necessarily make their games better than another developer's but Nintendo's games certainly stand out over others because of that quality.

NNID: TheCCluc

Nintendo magic is simply playing the games

XBOX ONE/Wii U/3DS/PC

RIP Iwata 12/6/1959-7/11/2015

Thanks for all the great memories!

bubblegamer said:

So your experience represents that of every Nintendo fan? Nostalgia doesn't mean decades ago, it could be 6 months ago. There is no time definition.

Of course does nostalgia contain a time definition - its the time your brain needs to make memories better than tehy were in reality.

If you're not ill this needs some time...

DarkRPGamer007 said:
Nintendo magic is simply playing the games

Yep. You can't define magic other than by experiencing it.

Around the Network

Perfectionist quality.

PS: You can already scape from a spinyshell (with luck) since MK64. In MK8 is easy with tha horn item.

Proud to be the first cool Nintendo fan ever

Number ONE Zelda fan in the Universe

DKCTF didn't move consoles

Prediction: No Zelda HD for Wii U, quietly moved to the succesor

Predictions for Nintendo NX and Mobile

curl-6 said:
pauluzzz1981 said:
nostalgia

Except that there was no Xenoblade Chronicles when I was a kid, yet it still holds the Nintendo magic for me, so nostalgia can't explain it.

not for you. But for me it is. Xenoblade chronicles is the best rpg from the last 15 years, oh yes, but it didn't have a nintendo feel for me personally. When i think of nintendo it's playing super mario 64 for the first time and be blown away, or mario kart 64 multiplayer, or ocarina of time. That's why for me it's nostalgia. Because when i play games from nintendo now it's never the same as it was.

Nostalgia is not it's Nintendo Magic entirely though. Those games I stated in the OP really had to create it's magic, being they were the first of it's kind to step each Mario and Zelda into the 3D realm.

For instance, Fire Emblem really has no nostalgic history (since almost every FE tell a new tale of the Fire Emblem), but Nintendo Magic is CERTAINLY present in those games.

Examples are pretty much the whole story of Fire Emblem : The Blazing Sword. Lyn's prologue, The Black Fang, The Four Fangs, and Nergal manipulating everyone, even the Eliwood and Hector to do his bidding. The music is definitely epic as well.

The racist issues that are both in Fire Emblem: Path of Radiance and Radiant Dawn. In those games exists a race that is half man/half beast called the Laguz, but full humans call them "sub-humans" (sub meaning Lower or on the bottom) because they feel they are superior to them. This addresses many of the race issues in todays world too.

And the hidden meaning in Earthbound as well. Pretty much Nintendo's ability to disguise world issues in games we can all enjoy so just maybe, few people can actually learn life lessons while having fun...

I think the "magic" quality is not exclusive to nintendo but they have nailed that quality on the head so many times that most people associate them with "magic". I think the magic feel comes from games that have a high level quality but not only that but have ingenuity, uniqueness, newness...some examples are how nintendo has taken technologies and incorporated it in unique ways like the rumble Pak, joystick, wiimote, directional pad, dual screen.

also some revolutions introduced by nintendo in game design are mario 64(1st excellent 3d designed game), ocarina of time(1st time z-targeting created), super Mario bros (essientally the game that turned america on), mario Galaxy (antigravity), mario 3d world(the best interpretation of 2d-3d with multiplayer), etc...

this quality is not exclusive to nintendo and other games that have hit the nail on the head are street fighter 2, megaman, resident evil, devil may cry, etc but for some reason capcom (although had Magic before) is in deep financial woes.. Maybe they weren't innovative enough in game design and quality 

mii-gamer said:
The tingling feeling around your genitals

Also the sphincter mucle.