By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - PC Discussion - GameSpot tried to build a Pc which costs around the same as a console.

Real cost of the ps4, assuming 5 years of use.

>United States - $649 ($399 + $50/year PS+)
>United Kingdom - £549 (£349 + £40/year PS+)
>Australia - $899 ($549 + $70/year PS+)
>Europe - €649 (€399 + €50/year PS+)

Around the Network

Well, naturally PC's cost more since they let you do more things on them. Things that earn you money. Gaming is just a plus.

And of course, gaming on PC is not for everyone, since it needs you to have certain sets of skills that are probably too hard to grasp and learn for many people. It's perfectly understandable.

MikeRox said:
So what we're saying is, this was a year ago. Now that PC parts have dropped again, you'll be able to make a PC that smokes the PS4/XB1 for $550 now? Sweet, I'm looking to drop £750ish on a new PC in the next few months.

You will make a great PC, you might want to raise a bit more if that means getting a good SSD. 

ghost_of_fazz said:
Well, naturally PC's cost more since they let you do more things on them. Things that earn you money. Gaming is just a plus.

And of course, gaming on PC is not for everyone, since it needs you to have certain sets of skills that are probably too hard to grasp and learn for many people. It's perfectly understandable.

I would say unless you are part of Generation Baby Boomer, you should easily grasp concepts of gaming on a PC, but seriously I agree with you 600-700 priced computer offers a much stronger machine and does more.  

sorry but you can build a gaming pc, that is close to the ps4 in power, for alot cheaper then that, plus why did they add taxes to the price? most online stores dont tax you. hell here is a quick thing i slaped together
PCPartPicker part list: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/2rPGt6
Price breakdown by merchant: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/2rPGt6/by_merchant/

CPU: AMD FX-6300 3.5GHz 6-Core Processor ($89.99 @ Newegg)
Motherboard: Asus M5A78L-M LX PLUS Micro ATX AM3+ Motherboard ($38.98 @ Newegg)
Memory: Crucial 4GB (1 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory ($36.69 @ Newegg)
Storage: Western Digital AV-GP 500GB 3.5" 5400RPM Internal Hard Drive ($40.98 @ Amazon)
Video Card: HIS Radeon R9 270 2GB IceQ X² Video Card ($111.99 @ Newegg)
Case: HEC Vigilance MicroATX Mini Tower Case ($23.99 @ SuperBiiz)
Power Supply: EVGA 500W 80+ Certified ATX Power Supply ($14.99 @ NCIX US)
Optical Drive: Samsung SH-224DB/BEBE DVD/CD Writer ($13.99 @ Newegg)
Operating System: Microsoft Windows 8.1 (OEM) (64-bit) ($89.98 @ OutletPC)
Keyboard: Rosewill RK-101 Wired Standard Keyboard ($5.99 @ Amazon)
Mouse: V7 Full size USB Optical Mouse Wired Optical Mouse ($4.50 @ Mwave)
Total: $456.07
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2014-12-28 12:06 EST-0500

so about $100 cheaper then there pc with about the same power.

Conina said:
Mr.Playstation said:

In my opinion this attempt shows that PCs cannot compare to consoles in terms of Price to Power ratio.

Article: http://www.gamespot.com/articles/can-we-build-a-gaming-pc-on-a-console-budget/1100-6418829/

Ironically GameSpot came to a contrary conclusion:

"As it turns out, you can build a gaming PC for around the cost of an Xbox One that will outperform both next-gen consoles given the current stock of cross-platform games. You'll also enjoy a massive library that neither the PlayStation 4 nor the Xbox One will ever be able to match from a pure numbers standpoint. Plus, your PC is upgradable, and its functionality in non-gaming areas only adds to its value."

Well, since April some demanding games were released that run better on consoles than on these PC builds and the console prices have dropped (the prices of some PC components also, especially graphic cards & HDDs)... so why are you starting a thread with such an outdated article?

My opinion: if you don't take the cheaper PC game prices into account, console hardware will always have a better price-to-power ratio. BUT the difference is shrinking generation for generation! In the past a PC that was more powerful than a console in every scenario was 200% - 600% more expensive than the console, nowadays its only 50% - 100% more expensive

I believe they are speaking about XBox One at the cost (~$500) it carries when paired with Kinect, not the $350 SKU.

I would like to see a PC built (With keyboard & mouse) that can compare with a XBone and/or PS4 with a $400 price tag before taxes.

iPhone = Great gaming device. Don't agree? Who cares, because you're wrong.

Currently playing:

Final Fantasy VI (iOS), Final Fantasy: Record Keeper (iOS) & Dragon Quest V (iOS)     

Got a retro room? Post it here!

Around the Network
MikeRox said:
So what we're saying is, this was a year ago. Now that PC parts have dropped again, you'll be able to make a PC that smokes the PS4/XB1 for $550 now? Sweet, I'm looking to drop £750ish on a new PC in the next few months.

Oh snap, now everyone must ignore my previous post.

All the prices in this article are 12+ months old?! O_o

iPhone = Great gaming device. Don't agree? Who cares, because you're wrong.

Currently playing:

Final Fantasy VI (iOS), Final Fantasy: Record Keeper (iOS) & Dragon Quest V (iOS)     

Got a retro room? Post it here!

Mr.Playstation said:
MohammadBadir said:
PCs cost more than consoles but the cheap games make up for the price. That's literally it. Why's this so hard for some people to understand?

Second hand console games are also extremely cheap, I don't know why some people think that all new console games can only be bought for $60 when one can easily find them second hand for $40.

I never pay more than $5 for titles like Arhkam City, Portal 2, Witcher 2, Skyrim, Bioshock, etc... I get GOTY editions with all of the DLC for a fraction of what "bargin" bin console games cost. So yes, PC games are far cheaper. If I purchased my Steam collection on consoles the multiplatform titles alone would cost more than my entire Steam collection and PC combined (at the aforementioned "bargin" bin prices)!

Additionally, Sony and Microsoft subsidize their hardware, especially early in their consoles' lifecycles. This serves to increase their cost to performance ratios but it is temporary as they need to eventually turn a profit (at least Sony does, the Xbox division seems to be a charity). A year from now the cost advantage of the hardware will be diminished somewhat making console gaming an even poorer bargain.

Edit: Additionally, I don't have to pay to play online (or wait for the DDoS attacks to end) further erroding the savings. Also, the Gamespot comparison is outdated and poorly done (Assassin's Creed for a PC / console performance comparison, seriously?)

A good gaming PC has a higher cost initially, but if you look at the long term, then there's certainly a lower cost associated with a gaming PC compared to a console.

Current gaming platforms - Switch, PlayStation 4, Xbox One, Wii U, New 3DS, PC

venuse8102 said:
sorry but you can build a gaming pc, that is close to the ps4 in power, for alot cheaper then that, plus why did they add taxes to the price? most online stores dont tax you. hell here is a quick thing i slaped together
PCPartPicker part list: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/2rPGt6
Price breakdown by merchant: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/2rPGt6/by_merchant/

CPU: AMD FX-6300 3.5GHz 6-Core Processor ($89.99 @ Newegg)
Motherboard: Asus M5A78L-M LX PLUS Micro ATX AM3+ Motherboard ($38.98 @ Newegg)
Memory: Crucial 4GB (1 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory ($36.69 @ Newegg)
Storage: Western Digital AV-GP 500GB 3.5" 5400RPM Internal Hard Drive ($40.98 @ Amazon)
Video Card: HIS Radeon R9 270 2GB IceQ X² Video Card ($111.99 @ Newegg)
Case: HEC Vigilance MicroATX Mini Tower Case ($23.99 @ SuperBiiz)
Power Supply: EVGA 500W 80+ Certified ATX Power Supply ($14.99 @ NCIX US)
Optical Drive: Samsung SH-224DB/BEBE DVD/CD Writer ($13.99 @ Newegg)
Operating System: Microsoft Windows 8.1 (OEM) (64-bit) ($89.98 @ OutletPC)
Keyboard: Rosewill RK-101 Wired Standard Keyboard ($5.99 @ Amazon)
Mouse: V7 Full size USB Optical Mouse Wired Optical Mouse ($4.50 @ Mwave)
Total: $456.07
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2014-12-28 12:06 EST-0500

so about $100 cheaper then there pc with about the same power.

^ So a year later $456 will get you a PC with half the memory of a console that's now $350
Putting you specs together in Canada I get $114 for the CPU, Motherboard out of stock no price, Video card $189 ($159 after rebate) out of stock. Nm.

Anyway, if you just want to play games, you're going through a lot of hassle, spend $100 more, and end up with a system that's not going to be able to keep up as games start taking full advantage of PS4 and XBox One. Sure you can add some memory later, upgrade the gpu, which offsets the cost of live or ps+. With those you get tons of games as well though.

MohammadBadir said:
PCs cost more than consoles but the cheap games make up for the price. That's literally it. Why's this so hard for some people to understand?

...But there are cheap games on consoles. I've never understood that argument. New games on PC are still full priced, just like on consoles, and old games drop in price everywhere. That's not just a PC thing.

EDIT: Ninja'd way too hard.