By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - PC Discussion - GameSpot tried to build a Pc which costs around the same as a console.

http://www.reddit.com/r/PCMasterRace/wiki/builds
Tell gamespot to try again.

Around the Network
Game_God said:
vivster said:
Game_God said:
vivster said:
These projects are getting less and less meaningful the more time passes. Also they're missing a controller.

Anyway why would I even build a cheap PC if I can have a console for even cheaper? If money is so tight why not go for the cheapest choice?

... & the console is missing a keyboard+mouse, which is only the best set-up to play FPS by far!

Sure. Don't know a single person without a mouse and keyboard plugged into their console to play FPS.

The point you made was that PC was lacking a controller.

To what I responded that Console was lacking keyboard+mouse. Get it?

About which is better, for FPS, FPS being hugely popular on both platforms, mouse+keyboard combo is lightyears better than a gamepad, live with it!

The point I made was the value proposition. Consoles include a fairly high quality controller while for this project they chose the cheapest keyboard and mouse they could find. So either they get proper peripherals for the PC or add a controller.

If you demand respect or gratitude for your volunteer work, you're doing volunteering wrong.

SvennoJ said:
venuse8102 said:
sorry but you can build a gaming pc, that is close to the ps4 in power, for alot cheaper then that, plus why did they add taxes to the price? most online stores dont tax you. hell here is a quick thing i slaped together
PCPartPicker part list: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/2rPGt6
Price breakdown by merchant: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/2rPGt6/by_merchant/

CPU: AMD FX-6300 3.5GHz 6-Core Processor ($89.99 @ Newegg)
Motherboard: Asus M5A78L-M LX PLUS Micro ATX AM3+ Motherboard ($38.98 @ Newegg)
Memory: Crucial 4GB (1 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory ($36.69 @ Newegg)
Storage: Western Digital AV-GP 500GB 3.5" 5400RPM Internal Hard Drive ($40.98 @ Amazon)
Video Card: HIS Radeon R9 270 2GB IceQ X² Video Card ($111.99 @ Newegg)
Case: HEC Vigilance MicroATX Mini Tower Case ($23.99 @ SuperBiiz)
Power Supply: EVGA 500W 80+ Certified ATX Power Supply ($14.99 @ NCIX US)
Optical Drive: Samsung SH-224DB/BEBE DVD/CD Writer ($13.99 @ Newegg)
Operating System: Microsoft Windows 8.1 (OEM) (64-bit) ($89.98 @ OutletPC)
Keyboard: Rosewill RK-101 Wired Standard Keyboard ($5.99 @ Amazon)
Mouse: V7 Full size USB Optical Mouse Wired Optical Mouse ($4.50 @ Mwave)
Total: $456.07
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2014-12-28 12:06 EST-0500

so about $100 cheaper then there pc with about the same power.

^ So a year later $456 will get you a PC with half the memory of a console that's now $350
Putting you specs together in Canada I get $114 for the CPU, Motherboard out of stock no price, Video card $189 ($159 after rebate) out of stock. Nm.

Anyway, if you just want to play games, you're going through a lot of hassle, spend $100 more, and end up with a system that's not going to be able to keep up as games start taking full advantage of PS4 and XBox One. Sure you can add some memory later, upgrade the gpu, which offsets the cost of live or ps+. With those you get tons of games as well though.

He can always get a Windows 7 key instead for like $40 and then buy another stick of ram. Also, I can guarantee you that 5 years from now an r9 270 will be able to play multiplatform games on low-medium (like the next gen consoles.) It is comparable the 8800gt (price-wise) released 6 years ago, and that card plays all games at low-medium today. This is especially true since this card is very similar to the PS4's GPU. It is an upgraded HD 7870 rather than a downgraded HD 7870 (Pitcairn), with about 35% more floating point performance (1.8 TFLOPS vs. 2.3 TFLOPS) and everything else slightly upgraded. You might argue that the PS4 will become more optimized, but any optimization in that GPU space will affect these very similar GPU's. It would be other areas where optimization is necessary, and this PC's CPU just blows the PS4's out of the water. Consoles are on familiar architecture these days, unlike Gen 7. Don't expect the same wonders and level of optimizations. 

Actually there is a way to get really powerful PC really cheap. When PCs brick there is plenty of parts to salvage, so if you gamble a bit you can get a working CPU from mobo with fried north bridge, working new mobo with something like cracked ethernet chip (put old PCIe card instead), glitchy gtx 580 which you can try cooking in oven and cheap memsticks from someone who upgraded. If you are lucky that PC will work for reasonable amount of time for a fraction of new PC cost. Gamespot just got it completely wrong though.

Mr.Playstation said:

They used AC:black flag as a game test. If they used AC:U I hardly doubt it would be playable at 1080p.

Kinda like how the PS4 version at 900p has framerate drops to 18fps. 

Around the Network
sc94597 said:

Consoles are on familiar architecture these days, unlike Gen 7.

Except they aren't. Consoles have unified architecture while PCs have to continiously juggle resources between regular RAM and GPU RAM. Not to mention that even if they had exact PC architecture that would mean nothing, try looking for xbox hueg emulator, and that thing is literally a PC with custom OS.

sterner said:
Actually there is a way to get really powerful PC really cheap. When PCs brick there is plenty of parts to salvage, so if you gamble a bit you can get a working CPU from mobo with fried north bridge, working new mobo with something like cracked ethernet chip (put old PCIe card instead), glitchy gtx 580 which you can try cooking in oven and cheap memsticks from someone who upgraded. If you are lucky that PC will work for reasonable amount of time for a fraction of new PC cost. Gamespot just got it completely wrong though.

well if you go pre-owned then it has to be compared with pre-owned console price.

Anyway, This article is outdated because its compared with the weaker console of the two which forced you to buy kinect, but now no longer does.

sterner said:
sc94597 said:

Consoles are on familiar architecture these days, unlike Gen 7.

Except they aren't. Consoles have unified architecture while PCs have to continiously juggle resources between regular RAM and GPU RAM. Not to mention that even if they had exact PC architecture that would mean nothing, try looking for xbox hueg emulator, and that thing is literally a PC with custom OS.

X86 is a thousand times easier to develop for than the Power PC (Risc) or Cell (also Risc?)architectures. Having unified memory doesn't change that. Also, the emulator comment is ridiculous. We aren't talking about emulation, which is an entirely different matter. Nor are we talking about PC ports. We're talking about how easy is it for developers to use the full system's capabilities, and it is many times easier on an X86 architecture than the unique architectures they had last generation. 

X86 is a thousand times easier to develop for than the Power PC (Risc) or Cell (also Risc?)architectures.

All right, expert developer in thread, I'm leaving

sterner said:

X86 is a thousand times easier to develop for than the Power PC (Risc) or Cell (also Risc?)architectures.

All right, expert developer in thread, I'm leaving

Nobody said I was an expert developer. This is common knowledge though. If there weren't any advantages to having both consoles use x86 why would third-parties have pushed Sony and Microsoft in that direction? They want a common architecture that allows them to take advantage of both systems at low costs. This common architecture happens to be the main hardware used in home computers since the 90's. That is why it's a thousand times easier for these developers (hyperbole.)  It is an architecture they are familiar with and it is universal for their purposes.