By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Hackers Explain Why They Took Down XBL And PSN, XBL Was Easier To Hack

Fucking dick heads are what they are.

I'm on Twitter @DanneSandin!

Furthermore, I think VGChartz should add a "Like"-button.

Around the Network

To all those saying ddos is not a legitimate hack, you are wrong.

There are multiple methods to go about ddos, some of which include exploiting security flaws and what many of you think are legitimate hacking.

Fact of the matter is, these service were almost completely shut down for days, a standard ddos attack as you are all probably thinking of it, is not what happened here as those can easily be mitigated or at least partially mitigated.

Intel Core i7 3770K [3.5GHz]|MSI Big Bang Z77 Mpower|Corsair Vengeance DDR3-1866 2 x 4GB|MSI GeForce GTX 560 ti Twin Frozr 2|OCZ Vertex 4 128GB|Corsair HX750|Cooler Master CM 690II Advanced|

There is not enough facepalm in the world for the spin they just made up there.

I mean DDoS is hacking now? Also, they won't take down NASDAQ because they don't want to hurt the economy... more like scared to do it. There is a reason no one has tried.

You guys do realize that ddos is not only achieved through flooding a service with requests right? -_-

Intel Core i7 3770K [3.5GHz]|MSI Big Bang Z77 Mpower|Corsair Vengeance DDR3-1866 2 x 4GB|MSI GeForce GTX 560 ti Twin Frozr 2|OCZ Vertex 4 128GB|Corsair HX750|Cooler Master CM 690II Advanced|

Educate me Shinobi-san.

Around the Network

Lizard Squad's only motivation is to gain attention and now hold companies to ransom for something they consider of value too them, like vouchers to spend on anything they like just to stop these attacks, but they still carry on, so they have no morals. Hell they can monetize the whole ordeal using their twitter feed, as one of the guys said.

It's no hack, a hack is to break through a company's internet security, get into their network, they didn't do that, they just overloaded their servers with more traffic than they could handle and they crashed, not particularly hard to do with web bots, pretty much an automated affair in this day and age.

Sony have a lot more users to cater too, double the number of 8th gen consoles, they have Vita and more PS3 users than Microsoft has with XBox One and 360, which is why Microsoft were up much sooner.

Shinobi-san said:
You guys do realize that ddos is not only achieved through flooding a service with requests right? -_-

Actually, yes. This is exactly what a DDOS attack is in 99% of the case. I mean the DDOS is the actual result and even if you can follow different path to achieve it, at the end the majority of "hackers" do exactly that: flooding with many requests.

Now, you may argue that it was not only that. But if it was a simple DDOS attack (as many suspected), it was hardly a hack :)
Also, Xbox Live has not been down for days, only for hours and then it is slow here and there which is a good indication that it is only a DDOS attack. Microsoft mitigated it and I could play online today and yesteday without any problem.

That's what it says "limited" and not down on Xbox Live status page.
PSN on the other hand seems down but I'm not sure.

Shinobi-san said:

Distributed Denial of Service attack IS all about hitting the network or servers from many many different clients to prevent normal traffic from being processed. This is achieved by either flooding the network pipes, causing the servers to process more work than they can handle or exploiting flawed code to cause the servers to crash continually, but regardless it does involve a lot of clients and flooding of the service. If you aren't doing this from a large botnet then it is just a DoS attack not a DDoS.  

What it appears they did at least with Xbox Live was server stress with excessive requests. had it been more involved than that Live would have been down for a lot more than just a few hours. (it was not down for days, shouldn't mods limit themselves to being a little more factual?)

nanarchy said:
Shinobi-san said:

Distributed Denial of Service attack IS all about hitting the network or servers from many many different clients to prevent normal traffic from being processed. This is achieved by either flooding the network pipes, causing the servers to process more work than they can handle or exploiting flawed code to cause the servers to crash continually, but regardless it does involve a lot of clients and flooding of the service. If you aren't doing this from a large botnet then it is just a DoS attack not a DDoS.  

What it appears they did at least with Xbox Live was server stress with excessive requests. had it been more involved than that Live would have been down for a lot more than just a few hours. (it was not down for days, shouldn't mods limit themselves to being a little more factual?)

Yah I think people do not realize that. Maybe this moderator was talking about PSN and not both, I believe PSN has been effectively down for 3 days, but yah he is wrong to say several days for Live at least.

Xbox Live was not down for day (or forever lol) but just few hours and then the limited status is just some slowness here and there but I can play 100% of my games and use 100% of my online services without any problem. So to me, Microsoft mitigated this DDOS attack very well.

Side note: I really hope they found those morons and put them in jail for good.

Its a game to them. They are sociopaths who live out of creating chaos out of order. Thats the whole point of hacking.....cracking an established system. It can be used to help, but it is devastating if used for the worst of reasons. Its a systematic process...or like dogs chasing after a bone. They give the bone back only so you can challenge them by throwing it further. In essence....even if Sony and Microsoft raised the bar on their security, so to would the hacker groups want to lay claim to their security system once more to say. "hah..we did it...it was us".