With my heartbroken, I agree. 291 32.96%

A pricecut can still push it to 20M-25M. 426 48.24%

Nonsense. WiiU is an assu... 165 18.69%

Total:882
Aquietguy said:
Guitarguy said:
Aquietguy said:
Guitarguy said:

I find the gamepad to be a novelty for basically 95% of Wii U games. Most use it as a 'map' or it replicates what is shown on the TV anyway. It is just an un-needed expense unlike the Wii motion controls which were integral to most of the defining games on the Wii. The majority of people just don't see it as justified much like the Kinect. Just my opinion.

What games are you playing because most of the games I have played uses the pad is used well. Having your menus at a glance rather than having to pause is a plus and worth it. I wish I had the pad for Zelda orcarina of time. Constantly having to pause to changing boots in the water temple became a pain.

Come on man... Having the screen used as a menu is not a pivotal reason for the gamepad. Games like NintendoLand use the gamepad much much better. Games like that actually showcase how the screen can be used in an innovative and functional way, not simply for displaying a map/menu/health vitals.

But if every game tries to pack every possible uses then people will complain it is forced like the waggling complaint of the wii mote. Just use it as needed. Some games need it more. Some less. Like I said, most game use it well for what ever game it is. No a menu is not needed but is sure is better to have than not. I find that some games a map is good like low pace games. Where as fast pace games is better on screen. Its a learning curve. But is being done pretty well all around.

I do see your point about people complaining about it being 'tacked on' and being forced to use it but here is there problem: you are forced to buy a Wii U with it and the increased price is not justified in ALOT of gamers eyes. If Nintendo had a gamepad-less version of the console, it could easily shave off $50 off the highest retail price. Considering the screen is not used in any meaningful way in more than 50% of Wii U games(other than as a map/menu/vitals), many gamers feel it is an un-necessary item and expense.  I personally don't think dropping the gamepad will solve the bad sales of the Wii U, I think it is too late now given the PS4 is booming as well as the Xbox 1, but I do think the gamepad was a bad idea and poorly executed as most games do not do anything innovative with it. Just my opinion anyway.

Around the Network
naruball said:
archer9234 said:

That never matters to people. The GC will be always remembered as a failure. Even though it made profit. People don't care about logic :P HUGE NUMBERS MEAN ALL! God forbid Nintendo could keep making consoles forever. Never have 3rd party again. And still make profit. That is inherently wrong somehow.

I agree, people don't always care about logic, but let's use some logic and try to find a source that proves that Gamecube made a profit. Or that WiiU has made a profit so far (not right now, but overall). While we're at it, can you tell me how exactly you know that Ninty did not consider Gamecube a failure? A failure does not mean sell x number of units, make $5, etc. It means the company has certain expectations and the product fails to meet them, even massively. 

If you don't wanna address all the points, please at least provide that source that I've yet to see ever posted. I, like you, like logic too. 

Here's another issue. Nintendo never split the profit numbers of the GC and GBA. They just combined them. We'll never know what the GC sold alone. But they did make a profit the whole time of that generation. The issue relys with: Does it matter if the GBA helped or not? The graph definatly shows the GC would of beaten the Xbox. People can argue that Nintendo had an advantage. But nothing prohibited Sony or MS from making handhelds in those years. It be like bitching that the taller person on a basketball team is beating the smaller one. You do better at picking a person that can deal with it. Train the person, Or higher a taller person too. Plus, the PS2 sold 120+ (at the time of 2006) million units. And only goes over 5 million boosted income. VS GC 21 and 81 GBA. http://i.imgur.com/ZUJHD.png

I agree without my heart broken

Guitarguy said:
captain carot said:
No, they should never have removed the Gamepad nor should they.
They should have revised it though, make it cheaper by the way and get some decent marketing. Especially the EU marketing was, well, plain shit, sorry to say that.

I find the gamepad to be a novelty for basically 95% of Wii U games. Most use it as a 'map' or it replicates what is shown on the TV anyway. It is just an un-needed expense unlike the Wii motion controls which were integral to most of the defining games on the Wii. The majority of people just don't see it as justified much like the Kinect. Just my opinion.

I'm disagreeing on Wii and Wiimote use. There was a minority of games even from Nintendo that really used the Wiimote well and to much games that would have played better with traditional controls or actually did play better on the classic controller.

That said, there's a ton of games even on the e-shop. that make decent use of the touchscreen without overusing it. On other games i'm fine with off-tv and map.

Bought AC IV for Wii U only because of off-tv. The slightly improved map was a nice to have, would've been better if you could have set targets directly on the touchscreen map.

With Rayman Legends Murphy levels are actually fun. I'd love to see point & click adventures on Wii U by the way.

On the other hand, Mario Kart 8 without touchscreen features is better, but you still can use motion control.

And there's actual OS integrated features like Miiverse or simply the browser, the Gamepad is great for. Or switching on my TV. A small but acutually nice to have feature.

Kinect is pretty much useless aside from some Kinect games. It's even much more inefficient for OS features than pushing a button. I mean, Xbox On vs. pressing the guide button? Come on.

The Gamepads two biggest issues still are people thinking of it as a Wii add on instead of a new console with Gamepad and Nintendo doing extremely dumb marketing.

archer9234 said:
naruball said:
archer9234 said:

That never matters to people. The GC will be always remembered as a failure. Even though it made profit. People don't care about logic :P HUGE NUMBERS MEAN ALL! God forbid Nintendo could keep making consoles forever. Never have 3rd party again. And still make profit. That is inherently wrong somehow.

I agree, people don't always care about logic, but let's use some logic and try to find a source that proves that Gamecube made a profit. Or that WiiU has made a profit so far (not right now, but overall). While we're at it, can you tell me how exactly you know that Ninty did not consider Gamecube a failure? A failure does not mean sell x number of units, make $5, etc. It means the company has certain expectations and the product fails to meet them, even massively. 

If you don't wanna address all the points, please at least provide that source that I've yet to see ever posted. I, like you, like logic too. 

Here's another issue. Nintendo never split the profit numbers of the GC and GBA. They just combined them. We'll never know what the GC sold alone. But they did make a profit the whole time of that generation. The issue relys with: Does it matter if the GBA helped or not? The graph definatly shows the GC would of beaten the Xbox. People can argue that Nintendo had an advantage. But nothing prohibited Sony or MS from making handhelds in those years. It be like bitching that the taller person on a basketball team is beating the smaller one. You do better at picking a person that can deal with it. Train the person, Or higher a taller person too. Plus, the PS2 sold 120+ (at the time of 2006) million units. And only goes over 5 million boosted income. VS GC 21 and 81 GBA. 

I'm sorry but your analogy doesn't make much sense. 

You didn't say "Ninty beat Sony in 2006" to which I would have replied, "where's the evidence?". You said "The GC will be always remembered as a failure. Even though it made profit"

You made a claim that simply cannot be supported by evidence. When you do find a reliable source that shows that Gamecube alone overall made a profit, then you can continue making that statement. At the moment, we simply don't know and it seems to me that the logical thing to do is to refrain from such unfounded claims. You can, however, say that Ninty was overall profitable during the Gamecube's lifetime/that generation. We all know that.

Around the Network
captain carot said:

I'm disagreeing on Wii and Wiimote use. There was a minority of games even from Nintendo that really used the Wiimote well and to much games that would have played better with traditional controls or actually did play better on the classic controller.

That said, there's a ton of games even on the e-shop. that make decent use of the touchscreen without overusing it. On other games i'm fine with off-tv and map.

Bought AC IV for Wii U only because of off-tv. The slightly improved map was a nice to have, would've been better if you could have set targets directly on the touchscreen map.

With Rayman Legends Murphy levels are actually fun. I'd love to see point & click adventures on Wii U by the way.

On the other hand, Mario Kart 8 without touchscreen features is better, but you still can use motion control.

And there's actual OS integrated features like Miiverse or simply the browser, the Gamepad is great for. Or switching on my TV. A small but acutually nice to have feature.

Kinect is pretty much useless aside from some Kinect games. It's even much more inefficient for OS features than pushing a button. I mean, Xbox On vs. pressing the guide button? Come on.

The Gamepads two biggest issues still are people thinking of it as a Wii add on instead of a new console with Gamepad and Nintendo doing extremely dumb marketing.

Would love a Zack and Wiki 2.

naruball said:
archer9234 said:
naruball said:
archer9234 said:

Here's another issue. Nintendo never split the profit numbers of the GC and GBA. They just combined them. We'll never know what the GC sold alone. But they did make a profit the whole time of that generation. The issue relys with: Does it matter if the GBA helped or not? The graph definatly shows the GC would of beaten the Xbox. People can argue that Nintendo had an advantage. But nothing prohibited Sony or MS from making handhelds in those years. It be like bitching that the taller person on a basketball team is beating the smaller one. You do better at picking a person that can deal with it. Train the person, Or higher a taller person too. Plus, the PS2 sold 120+ (at the time of 2006) million units. And only goes over 5 million boosted income. VS GC 21 and 81 GBA. 

I'm sorry but your analogy doesn't make much sense. 

You didn't say "Ninty beat Sony in 2006" to which I would have replied, "where's the evidence?". You said "The GC will be always remembered as a failure. Even though it made profit"

You made a claim that simply cannot be supported by evidence. When you do find a reliable source that shows that Gamecube alone overall made a profit, then you can continue making that statement. At the moment, we simply don't know and it seems to me that the logical thing to do is to refrain from such unfounded claims. You can, however, say that Ninty was overall profitable during the Gamecube's lifetime/that generation. We all know that.

You want the profits displayed in a certain way, to show it absolulty made more money than the PS2. From an offfical source. Than you're right. It can't be done. Unless you want to do all the guesstimation numbers.

What if Nintendo makes an amiibo Pokemon? That can make a huuuuuuuge boost on the console, i´m expecting some kind of surprise with amiibo.

I absolutely think that the Wii U will pass 15 lifetime, no doubt in my mind. But to make a guess for an actual lifetime sale I can not, it's really difficult to know how much it will sell in the end.

I usually say 30-40m, but to say 20-30m would be much more safe.

The GC and N64 that didn't sell all too well still made 4-6m lifetime in Japan so my bet is that the Wii U will do the same. It is already at 2m with a 1m/year average, similar to the two other systems.

When it comes to NA it would need to continue selling around its current numbers to reach 10-14, similar to the GC.

For EU the GC and N64 made 4-6 like in Japan, extremely low numbers actually. And just looking at the Wii U's numbers it seems to do worse than the other two, but not too worse, so it could make the same numbers.

For RoW I would think 1-2m would seem possible.

Add those numbers up and I will get 19-27m consoles WW lifetime sales.

Still I'm hoping for pricecuts and some wind in the sails for Nintendo. If things goes better in the coming years it could reach 40m, which for me would be a victory in itself, given the poor situation it has now. But yes, this is wishful thinking.

So can it make 15? Yes it will. Make 20? I do think so, yes. Make 30? Perhaps, it's not impossible but also not probable. Make 40? Seems impossible at the moment, something must really change for it to happen.

Does anyone have any numbers for how well(poorly) the GC, N64, Saturn and DC actually did in their 3 first years on the market? It would be really interesting to see. :)

ryuzaki57 said:
I agree without my heart broken

:P You're heartless!

...Let the Sony Domination continue with the PS4...