By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Can't the rumored Nintendo Fusion be like the iOS devices? In the handheld console space. Still keep home consoles separate

Dusk said:
loves2splooge said:
My ideas on the console front

- Phase out stereoscopic 3D game development
- Phase out the 3DS
- Release the 2DS in Japan
- Brand new games with the Nintendo 2DS logo
- Release 2DS games at $30 (premium) or $20 (budget)
- Slash prices of digital download games to be in line with Apple App Store and Google Play pricing
- Introduce online Nintendo accounts (much like Xbox Live or PSN) instead of friend codes
- Associate digital game purchases with your Nintendo account. So that you can transfer game purchases from one Nintendo device to the next

I don't have an issue with most of you ideas although, I'm not sure how feasible the pricing part is. Games are actually quite reasonibly priced now. They haven't really increased even with inflation so software makers are actually making less on them than they used to back in the day, although digital has certainly lowered the costs associated with that. 

Nintendo seems to be working on the Nintendo accounts and it has really started with the NNID's, the problem with what you suggest though is that if they are the same as Xbox Live and PSN then they have the ability to be hacked as keeps happening to the mentioned. I don't really have an issue with friend codes though, do you? 

Again, they are working at associating the game purchases with the Nintendo accounts already, but they need to completely have the infrastructure in place before it goes live. 

Maybe I haven't bothered to look at the Nintendo eStore in awhile. I remember games for the Wii/Wii U/DSi/3DS being over-priced compared to similar games on the Apple App Store and Google Play. Even pricing on PSN and the Ouya (yes I have an Ouya) is pretty bad.

If you adjust game prices for inflation, historically game prices are not bad at all. But services like Apple App Store and Google Play are bringing down the prices of games so much that the business model of charging $40 USD for handheld games in some cases $50 USD. Like Persona Q) and $60 USD for home console games is passe. Times change in the age of $8/month music streaming, $8/month Netflix, $10/month Hulu, $7/month Crunchy Roll (anime), etc. Video games are going to be headed in the same direction as music and video eventually. OnLive is a very nascent version of that future. The cost of living in society is going up and up. While wages are stagnating. So people have less money to spend on entertainment these days. And the taxpayer can only bail out wreckless consumer spending (bank bailouts, auto industry bailouts, etc.) so much before the whole thing collapses. Nintendo got rich with the Wii during an era where people bought shit they didn't need with credit cards and taking out second mortgages. Those salad days are gone and not coming back.

I'm not too bothered by friend codes so as long as digital purchases are associated with a Nintendo account that I can migrate from one Nintendo hardware platform to another. If my Wii stops working, all the digital games I bought for my Wii will be dead with it. If I bought a Wii U (hypothetically speaking), I couldn't transfer my purcashes on the Wii to my Wii U. And I can't transfer anything from my Wii to my 3DS either even though there are overlapping titles between the two platforms. Meanwhile the digital PSP games I bought for my PSP can be transferred to my PS Vita or PS3 no problem.

Around the Network
FayeC said:
I doubt they would ever let us run the same software. Nintendo isn't going to go from trying to sell us a Mario Platformer/Kart on portable and one on console to being happy only selling us one. They would cut off much of their profit.

They have even been unwilling to practice Sony's limited model of crossbuy.

I'm editting the OP since it appears I haven't been too clear. I'm only referring to their portable consoles. They would still have a home console which doesn't have the same OS as the portable consoles. When I refer to an OS that runs on two different machines, I'm talking about something similar to the 2DS, 3DS and 3DSXL. Just that this would be a 3DS and a 3DS phone, for lack of better terms to explain them.

http://img244.imageshack.us/img244/7530/gohansupersaiyan239du.jpg" type="application/x-shockwave-flash"> http://www.deviantart.com/download/109426596/Shippuden_Team_7_by_Tsubaki_chan.jpg" type="application/x-shockwave-flash"> http://image.hotdog.hu/_data/members0/772/1047772/images/kepek_illusztraciok/Bleach%2520-%2520Ishida%2520Uryuu%25201.jpg" type="application/x-shockwave-flash">

3DS: tolu619

Wii U: FoyehBoys

Vita, PS3 and PS4: FoyehBoys

XBoxOne: Tolu619

Switch: Tolu619

Kugali - We publish comics from all across Africa and the diaspora, and we also push the boundaries of Augmented Reality storytelling. Check us out!

My thread for teaching VGC some Nigerian slangs

hsrob said:

@bolded: Well, you actually did and just because you wrote the OP does not mean you get to define the bounds of the discussion. I don't think you can talk about Nintendo's future handhelds without talking about their home console when Nintendo themselves have specifically said their future strategy involves integrating both platforms, their 'third pillar' being QOL.

So I agree with the part about an approach that is similar to iOS, in terms of one OS for multiple devices, but I disagree wholeheartedly with you about which platforms they will be.

You painted your picture of how an iOS approach might work, I describe mine, if you feel this isn't relevant consider my contribution complete.

p.s. Bluntly telling people to 'read the OP' is hardly conducive to discussion. If several people have mistaken your meaning, as appears to be the case, then perhaps some clarification is required on your part.

Noted. Trying to correct that

http://img244.imageshack.us/img244/7530/gohansupersaiyan239du.jpg" type="application/x-shockwave-flash"> http://www.deviantart.com/download/109426596/Shippuden_Team_7_by_Tsubaki_chan.jpg" type="application/x-shockwave-flash"> http://image.hotdog.hu/_data/members0/772/1047772/images/kepek_illusztraciok/Bleach%2520-%2520Ishida%2520Uryuu%25201.jpg" type="application/x-shockwave-flash">

Kugali - We publish comics from all across Africa and the diaspora, and we also push the boundaries of Augmented Reality storytelling. Check us out!

Thread died rather quickly. Happy New Year everyone!

Wasn't this whole Nintendo Fusion thing debunked a year ago?

I describe myself as a little dose of toxic masculinity.

Around the Network
Jumpin said:
Wasn't this whole Nintendo Fusion thing debunked a year ago?

It depends of what u mean by Nintendo Fusion, everybody has a different opinion on what it may be. A two-in-one device that acts as both a handheld and console? Yes, recent quotes from Iwata about "form factors" pretty much confirm such a device is not releasing. The "leaked" specs that were reported back in January 2014? Yes, they were way too descriptive to be accurate 3 or so years away from release. But based on recent Miyamoto & Iwata quotes, a fusion concept is still very much a possiblility.

They have on numerous occasions stated how they plan on unifying the hardware in order to release a more steady stream of software across devices. Just go back and read their Q&A from the year end fiscal meeting and u will see a handful of quotes that heavily hint at such a scenario. Many of the statements are pretty vague, making them up for individual interpretation.

They could simply mean both devices have a similar architecture which just makes it easier to pump out games faster for 2 seperate devices. Maybe they share a Virtual Console & eShop, allowing cross buy on these types of games. Maybe they take the fusion/unified concept a step further and do a Vita/Vita TV setup but with better execution and big selling software that can actually make it a success, meaning two seperate devices with the same or very similar hardware that allows all games to be playable on either device, u just simply choose whether u prefer playing on a handheld or a console.

So no the concept has not been debunked, throughout 2014 we had many quotes from Iwata & Miyamoto stating they plan on unifying both sides of their hardware with the intention of maximizing their software output, how far they plan on taking this concept is still up in the air but we should have more details on it sometime in the near future, don't be surprised to see them discuss the topic further at the their year-end fiscal report in April/May just like they did last year.

When the herd loses its way, the shepard must kill the bull that leads them astray.