By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Can't the rumored Nintendo Fusion be like the iOS devices? In the handheld console space. Still keep home consoles separate

loves2splooge said:

Stereoscopic 3D drives up the costs of game development considerably. That's why Nintendo jacked up the price $10 on games.

How does stereoscopic 3D drives up the costs of game development considerably? Most games use a 3d engine anyways and it doesn't matter if the graphic is renderend from 1 viewpoint or from 2 viewpoints very close together.

The only thing they have to watch out for are graphic effects which don't work in 3D.

Around the Network

Threads like these (and I make them too, so I'm not criticizing) are exactly how I know that the Wii U and 3DS's days are numbered. You'd get crucified if a thread like this were made about a successor to the PS4 or XBO, because it's "too soon."

spemanig said:
Threads like these (and I make them too, so I'm not criticizing) are exactly how I know that the Wii U and 3DS's days are numbered. You'd get crucified if a thread like this were made about a successor to the PS4 or XBO, because it's "too soon."

I see threads about Sony and Microsoft's successors too though.....

I wouldn't put too much stock in a thread since the majority of polls show there are a lot of Nintendo fans here....

Cheebee said:
tolu619 said:

I'm sorry, I couldn't think of a good way to word the subject of this thread. Please don't comment without reading the OP. The rumor about the Nintendo Fusion is that the next Nintendo handheld device and next console will have the same library of games or run more or less the same software. There may or may not be any truth to this at all, but here's what I think would be cool. I'm no industry expect and I can't say whether this would lead to more or less sales for Nintendo, but I persoanlly like the idea :)

The iPod Touch, iPhone and iPad all run the same Operating System and can run almost exactly the same apps. The iPhone is the only one with mobile phone features such as phone calls over a phone network (not over the internet) and apps like WhatsApp that are tied to your phone number. The iPad usually has its apps optimised for a bigger screen, otherwise, the apps are identical to the iPod and iPhone versions. There are a few iPad exclusive apps. Here's what I propose:

make a portable console that has a regular version and a phone version. For the sake of abbreviation, I'll call these the Nintendo Game and the Nintendo Phone. The NG will have whatever innovations nintendo wants to add to the 3DS, and will basically be what people like me who don't want our phone and our dedicated handheld game to be the same device. I don't want to be unable to make calls because I killed my battery gaming or vice versa. The NP will be a slimmer, flatter version of the NG with a SIM card slot that allows cellular functions. Even if most casual gamers don't choose this over an iPhone or Android phone, if about 20% of them do switch over to the NP, that would have made the idea worth the while for Nintendo. It shouldn't hurt the sales of the NG since it's the same OS. In fact, it should help the NG platform have more non-gaming apps.

Also, after reading @loves2splooge's thread http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/thread.php?id=191638 , I remembered that one of the main reasons casuals have moved to iOS and Android is the low prices of games on those platforms. The average game on these platforms are going to have to be cheaper than what we have now, even if they're more expensive than iOS and Android games.

Feel free to improve the idea or shoot holes in it, but please stick to constructive criticism.

@ Bolded; there is no possible nor plausible way a Nintendo phone of any sort would ever gain anywhere close to 20% of the market. Ever. Anywhere.

Actually there are two ways that a Nintendo phone could get 20% or more of the mobile phone market.

Option A.) Nintendo is bought out by Apple and the Nintendo phone is a stylized iPhone for games.

Option B.) Nintendo is bought out by Google and the Nintendo is a stylized Andriod phone for games.

Multishanks said:

I wouldn't put too much stock in a thread since the majority of polls show there are a lot of Nintendo fans here....

I've literally never seen one.

Around the Network
spemanig said:

Yes, because the 3DS and the PS4 released the same year.

Multishanks said:
spemanig said:

I've had this idea for years. When the Vita was announced, I was disappointed that the 3G model wasn't also a phone. Now that it's almost certain that there won't be another Sony handheld gaming console, Nintendo is my only hope to see how well a dedicated portable game with a wifi model and a phone model will work.

http://img244.imageshack.us/img244/7530/gohansupersaiyan239du.jpg" type="application/x-shockwave-flash"> http://www.deviantart.com/download/109426596/Shippuden_Team_7_by_Tsubaki_chan.jpg" type="application/x-shockwave-flash"> http://image.hotdog.hu/_data/members0/772/1047772/images/kepek_illusztraciok/Bleach%2520-%2520Ishida%2520Uryuu%25201.jpg" type="application/x-shockwave-flash">

3DS: tolu619

Wii U: FoyehBoys

Vita, PS3 and PS4: FoyehBoys

XBoxOne: Tolu619

Switch: Tolu619

Kugali - We publish comics from all across Africa and the diaspora, and we also push the boundaries of Augmented Reality storytelling. Check us out!

My thread for teaching VGC some Nigerian slangs

I agree in principle but the problem is that I think people expect more of Nintendo when it comes to their games. What i mean is that people are happy enough that Angry Birds on the iPad runs in a higher resolution than the iPhone version, their expectations of differentiation between the small and bigger screen versions aren't high because the cost isn't high and games aren't the primary function of the device.

Part of the reason Nintendo has had a measure of continued success with the 3DS, when the Vita crashed and burned, is that they understand handheld games and home console games are not the same beast. There are genres and areas of overlap but people have different expectations of the two. If all we were getting on Nintendo's future home console was up-rezzed versions of the handheld games e.g. streamed to the TV from the handheld,  I think people would be pissed.

I think we will see two separate devices, i think we will see uniform hardware architecture, a unified OS, unified account system but we will see some separate handheld games, some separate home console games and then shared games, where it makes sense. The only other way I can imagine seeing sharing of most games is if Nintendo works hard on the middleware and produces a very robust and essentially automated solution for down-porting home console games for their handheld. That way development could be focused on the home console but be playable across two systems. Of course there would be the opportunity for handheld specific games as well, for those who don't want to deal with the additional cost of home console development, but I think down-porting rather than up-porting would generally be a better approach. If this is going to be a viable approach though it means that input-wise both devices will need to be very similar, removing one of the differentiators that Nintendo has recently relied upon.

competing with phones would be too difficult for nintendo, is other red ocean, and seems nintendo has problems with red oceans...

loves2splooge said:
My ideas on the console front

- Phase out stereoscopic 3D game development
- Phase out the 3DS
- Release the 2DS in Japan
- Brand new games with the Nintendo 2DS logo
- Release 2DS games at $30 (premium) or $20 (budget)
- Slash prices of digital download games to be in line with Apple App Store and Google Play pricing
- Introduce online Nintendo accounts (much like Xbox Live or PSN) instead of friend codes
- Associate digital game purchases with your Nintendo account. So that you can transfer game purchases from one Nintendo device to the next

I don't have an issue with most of you ideas although, I'm not sure how feasible the pricing part is. Games are actually quite reasonibly priced now. They haven't really increased even with inflation so software makers are actually making less on them than they used to back in the day, although digital has certainly lowered the costs associated with that. 

Nintendo seems to be working on the Nintendo accounts and it has really started with the NNID's, the problem with what you suggest though is that if they are the same as Xbox Live and PSN then they have the ability to be hacked as keeps happening to the mentioned. I don't really have an issue with friend codes though, do you? 

Again, they are working at associating the game purchases with the Nintendo accounts already, but they need to completely have the infrastructure in place before it goes live. 

Gotta figure out how to set these up lol.