By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Microsoft Discussion - Does Microsoft have the right intentions as a video game console maker for a gamer?

Aeolus451 said:

Haha I never bothered to check some of the other consoles. Hmmm, I'll reword what I said. Sony consistently follows that 10 year plan with their consoles. I think they are the first to make it a game plan for their consoles in general versus just doing that with one console for a generation. I think MS is following it because of sony's proven success with it. I think it's important for sony and ms to stick with that though. Makes it easier for devs to plan and make games to release them on it. I counted from when the playstation console was released to it's end. The wiki counts the playstation console and psone seperately. 

This is just more goal post shifting. Sony has had three consoles where they could have had 10+ years of support. They did it with PS2, they did not do it with PS1 or PSP. You can't say they "consistently follow" something if they actually only do it 1 time out of 3. As for proven success with it, is 10 years of support really what made the PS2 a success? Did yearly legacy updates of MLB The Show push it over the top? I don't think so.

Around the Network
Baalzamon said:
I think the better question would be, in their ultimate goal to make money (a business that doesn't make money is a failing business), are they trying to make gamers happy?
To which, I would say yea, they are trying to please their gamers in the best way they see fit.

I'm pretty sure they're supposed to make profit. Even then, they can make gamers happy AND make profit.

They dont care about gamers or profits. I think all what microsoft cares is about not giving monopoly to japanese, they work closely with The US goverment and nsa.

thx1139 said:

Wrong the original Xbox was discontinued for one reason only. The hardware would never be profitable.  MS changed how they designed consoles with the X360 and they are happy to continue to support it because it is all gravy now. Profitable hardware (for several years now), profitable software, and profitable services.

You are trying to use facts and logic in a discussion where they don't want to use either. Just look at the deflecting and shifting goal posts:

MS drops support on all their consoles 1-2 years before releasing the next one!
No they don't, the Xbox 360 is still getting great games today
Oh well you're right, but they are only still releasing 360 games because Sony showed the WORLD that you can support a console for ten years!
No they didn't, other consoles were doing that years/generations before Sony did it
Oh yeah there were other consoles but Sony still showed MS how to do it!

LudicrousSpeed said:
thx1139 said:

Wrong the original Xbox was discontinued for one reason only. The hardware would never be profitable.  MS changed how they designed consoles with the X360 and they are happy to continue to support it because it is all gravy now. Profitable hardware (for several years now), profitable software, and profitable services.

You are trying to use facts and logic in a discussion where they don't want to use either. Just look at the deflecting and shifting goal posts:

Oh well you're right, but they are only still releasing 360 games because Sony showed the WORLD that you can support a console for ten years!
No they didn't, other consoles were doing that years/generations before Sony did it

I know it really is for other reader to see.   Only reason any console continues to get support is if it is a big success to begin with. Any company will continue to support a console 10, 12, 15 years if it is more profitable to do so.   Will we see something like the Wii U supported for that long. I doubt it.

Its libraries that sell systems not a single game.

Around the Network
thx1139 said:
LudicrousSpeed said:
thx1139 said:

I know it really is for other reader to see.   Only reason any console continues to get support is if it is a big success to begin with. Any company will continue to support a console 10, 12, 15 years if it is more profitable to do so.   Will we see something like the Wii U supported for that long. I doubt it.

Nintendo support for the Wii dropped immediately. Which is crazy since its in so many homes.

Seece said:
bigjon said:
MS never has or never will care about gamers. They always quit supporting their old console 12-24 months prior to the next consoles release, and as soon as they thought they had a stranglehold on the console market they announced the terrible "pre-180" policies. If it were not for Sony's strong showing XB1 fans would be dealing with that BS right now. It weird this GEN, even the biggest MS fanboy has to be gratefull to Sony this GEN.

If MS ever gets in a dominent position again expect more anti consumer policies to follow shortly after.

That's funny. What does Sony have for PS3 in 2015 that matches Forza Horizon 2, Titanfall, Fable Anniversary and Max Curse of Brotherhood?

Persona 5 alone>>>all of those combined.

I know that seems a little biased just because it's a stand alone and unique title based on the JRPG genre, but since there are so few high quality JRPGs on current or last gen consoles the value of it increases dramatically.  On the other hand the titles you mentioned are a dime a dozen, including Max Curse of Brotherhood.

They want to make profit, thats it. They listen to investors mostly. Or how can any one explain their long forgotten “no used game“ approach?

This still costs them money, as gamers dont forgive so easily. 

Seece said:
bigjon said:
MS never has or never will care about gamers. They always quit supporting their old console 12-24 months prior to the next consoles release, and as soon as they thought they had a stranglehold on the console market they announced the terrible "pre-180" policies. If it were not for Sony's strong showing XB1 fans would be dealing with that BS right now. It weird this GEN, even the biggest MS fanboy has to be gratefull to Sony this GEN.

If MS ever gets in a dominent position again expect more anti consumer policies to follow shortly after.

That's funny. What does Sony have for PS3 in 2015 that matches Forza Horizon 2, Titanfall, Fable Anniversary and Max Curse of Brotherhood?

You can cherry pick a few cross gen ports, nice. Do a list of exclusives from the 2011, 2012, 2013 and compare. if( you never said you don't believe this) one does not believe MS would f over gamer in a heartbeat they are naive at best.

End of 2009 Predictions (Set, January 1st 2009)

Wii- 72 million   3rd Year Peak, better slate of releases

360- 37 million   Should trend down slightly after 3rd year peak

PS3- 29 million  Sales should pick up next year, 3rd year peak and price cut

bigjon said:

You can cherry pick a few cross gen ports, nice. Do a list of exclusives from the 2011, 2012, 2013 and compare. if( you never said you don't believe this) one does not believe MS would f over gamer in a heartbeat they are naive at best.

On the one hand you claim they drop support years before their next console is out, on the other hand you're admitting they are still supporting both consoles with games. Which is it?