By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Give me ONE reason Nintendo shouldn't go 3rd party.

The fact that 60% of their profits were from hardware.

Around the Network
Fusioncode said:
ganoncrotch said:
Fusioncode said:
WolfpackN64 said:
Give me one good reason Sony and Microsoft shouldn't go third party?

Because they both have successful next gen consoles. 

Why not go 3rd party in terms of handhelds? make games for the 3ds it's clearly the place to put their handheld games for profits? Why not just both agree that 1 system is better and just make games for that? why have people compete between ps4 or X1 just shake hands and then everyone wins right? Give me one good reason why they don't as a person who buys games I don't see why the world shouldn't be a way that would make it easier for me to buy all the games on 1 system since I matter so much!!

Sony should leave the handheld business. I've never denied this. 

Why leave it? why not just make the games for Nintendo handhelds, Nintendo has proven they can sell handhelds in a market that has iphones and Android all over the place why not just port the Vita games to that, and get some Halo going on their too, no one is gaming on windows phones.

Why not check me out on youtube and help me on the way to 2k subs over at www.youtube.com/stormcloudlive

Fusioncode said:

Give me ONE reason Nintendo shouldn't go 3rd party.

They don't need to.

Another Nintendo port-begging thread. Pass.

torok said:
marley said:

This is based on......... your feelings?  

They introduced something new and fun that people liked and purchased.  Nope, I'm sure that could never happen again. *eye roll

It can, but counting that you will find the next revolution every gen is a recipe for disaster. You need a consistent strategy to create a compelling console. Sony is usually very basic with their consoles and they achieved way more success this way. Sometimes evolution is better than revolution.

But the big issue is that most gaming companies have the habit of screwing up badly and that means a bad gen. It doesn't look that bad, but one single bad gen can be 5 or 7 years of awful sales. It's not like Samsung realeasing a bad Galaxy S: they can fix it next year. Atari, Sega, MS, Nintendo, they sometimes do things right and sometimes they screw up badly. Sony usually doesn't screw up, or at least they have a light screw up that is fixable mid-gen (PS3):

- Big screw ups: Atari 5200/7800, all Genesis add-ons, Saturn, N64, GC, Wii U, OG XBox

- Light screw ups: Dreamcast, PS3, X1

uhh Dreamcast and X1 are more of a screw up than the N64.   N64 was still profitable.   X1's are going at a loss with the drastic price cut, still not winning globally and the Dreamcast was the nail in the coffin for Sega.

Around the Network

They shouldn't because Nintendo was 3rd party around 1982 for Colecovision, Intellivision and Atari 2600 with games like Donkey Kong, Donkey Kong Jr. and Popeye.  Since the NES they've made unique games with loads of IPs and going 3rd party again would take away their unique quality.  Also their portable division is profitable as is the Wii U division now.  They're on their own schedule so they make complete games that work and don't need huge patches right away.  I think Sony and Microsoft are the ones that need to go 3rd party long before Nintendo returns to where their gaming division started.

Fusioncode said:
WolfpackN64 said:
Give me one good reason Sony and Microsoft shouldn't go third party?

Because they both have successful next gen consoles. 

Well Microsoft is not making money with XONE, it is not successful on a business point of view. Selling a product under the real price point is not winning a race, its losing it... You need to look at the market with a business point of view, not with gamer goggles. There is no way that a company's shareholders will accept an eternal loosing money cycle or just breaking even. The Ps4 is doing great, making money, but Sony is loosing money. So in one hand you have the XBOX brand not making money and on the other side Sony not making money, that makes your 2 successful next gen consoles constructors not that successful financialy. On the other side you have Nintendo that is now making money with their games and hardware even if it is not that successful in raw numbers of console sold. Tell me now why should they risk going third party on consoles that do not have a garanteed success in the long run when they are making money doing what they do now? Nintendo's next console may be what everyone will want? We don't know, but one things for sure, Nintendo is a money making business more than Sony and XBOX. So the main reason they won't go third party goes with the fact that they are in control of a profitable business because it's not in the hand of a third party console constructor...

ghost_of_fazz said:
Fusioncode said:

Give me ONE reason Nintendo shouldn't go 3rd party.

They don't need to.

It really does just come down to this doesn't it :)

Why not check me out on youtube and help me on the way to 2k subs over at www.youtube.com/stormcloudlive

thegamerpad said:

uhh Dreamcast and X1 are more of a screw up than the N64.   N64 was still profitable.   X1's are going at a loss with the drastic price cut, still not winning globally and the Dreamcast was the nail in the coffin for Sega.

For that matter, the Gamecube was far more successful and profitable than the Dreamcast. And it was far more profitable than the Xbox and was only a little more than a milion units behind the Xbox.

Scanning thread. Not detecting any actually good arguments. Agree with OP.

There are a ton of reasons they should go third-party that are backed by actual numbers and consumer trends, and a lot of reasons why they shouldn't made with sweeping generalizations and blind speculation. I've yet to hear a legitimately good point against it.

Currently playing:

Bloodbath Paddy Wagon Ultra 9