By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - PC Discussion - What game made you a PC gamer?

I wanted to play KH Chain of Memories so bad... but I never found the cartdrigde... So I emulated it, and I loved it. I became a pirate after that and loved PC gaming forever.

"I've Underestimated the Horse Power from Mario Kart 8, I'll Never Doubt the WiiU's Engine Again"

Around the Network

World of Warcraft really got me into PC gaming in early 2007, everything before that was casual. It's the game I've spent the most time on ever by a long shot and will probably never be beaten. Even though I think back on all the time wasted on it I still have a lot of fun on it with friends.

badgenome said:
Pool of Radiance or something. Thankfully I outgrew PC gaming and now play on consoles like a real man.

I read those books.  I remember absolutely none of it.

On topic, the answer is probably Daggerfall.  It was an experience that felt way more mature than what was on consoles at the time.  Sure, the graphics were so bad that I would get a splitting headache, to the point where I would feel physically sick, but it was basically the same game as Skyrim.  I'm not even kidding.  Actually, the atmosphere of it felt a lot more wicked, like it was inviting me to be a cut-throat rather than a hero.  I still remember seeing one of the topless dancers in the thieve's guild for the first time.  It really had a very sinful vibe.

I also remember my sister laughing at me for dying to the very first monster, a giant rat.  Not my fault, I just wasn't used to the m/kb combat style.  Shut up.

Ragnarok Online is what got me into MMO land, though, and then the launch of WoW resulted in my first purchase of a "gaming" PC.

Solitaire.

Was addicted to that game for so long.

Age of Empires.

Around the Network

Elder Scrolls

Thanks jlmurph!

When I was a kid I loved my NES, Genesis and SNES. I spent many an hour mastering games like Contra and Megaman. When the fifth console generation started I found the graphics to be jarring and unpleasant while the controls were unrefined and often downright broken. My disappointment with the fifth generation drove me to PC gaming which had gotten past the awkward transition into 3D by the time the N64 released. I started with a few blockbusters like Starcraft, Diablo and Quake and my love of PC gaming grew from there.

King's Quest IV

and Vette! along with some qbasic nibbles and gorillas.

Oh, cats, I forgot about Princess Maker!  I loved that game.  One of the first things I did when I first got online was to hang out in anime chat-rooms, which lead to someone sending me Princess Maker.

I kind of miss my Princess now ...

Well I'm still primarily a console gamer but the game that has made me always have a PC is the Total War series. So kickass!