By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - The Last of Us 2 Confirmed. Sort of.

This one better win 300 awards xD Seriously though, I'm sure it can.

...Let the Sony Domination continue with the PS4...
Around the Network
spemanig said:
thedawghousev2 said:

Relax, almost everyone I know who has played this game wants to know what happens, where or how you came up this notion that the ending was desgined for the  imagination and the imagination only is beyond me. Bottom line is you're in the minority, people want to see what happens, people want to see a newer version of the ellie and joel story, and the ending of the last of us allows that to happen.

Because that's good writing. Because an ending like that to a story like that separates good writers from amateur ones. There's no doubt in my mind that TLOU was written to be just one game. There's no room for a sequel. The decision to make one if purely a financial one. No integrity.

And of course I want to know what happens. Everyone does. The ending was designed to make you want to know what happens. The exercise in good writing becomes having the restraint to not tell you. It would be like writing a sequel to Inseption, so you can find out if he's not still dreaming. That's like Aonuma making a sequel to Makora's Mask so you can find out who the Mask Salesman, the Fierce Deity, Termina, and Majora really are. If you can't understand why that's bad, and moreso slimy, writing, then just end I'll just end this discussion here.

We're in a thread about a pretty much already confirmed sequel to the last of us, meaning the people who made the last of us already decided to make a sequel. That's proof, if it wasn't proven already based on the ending, that there is room for a sequel. You claim that making a sequel is sloppy writing, that must mean that you know more about writing than the creators themselves.

MohammadBadir said:
Meh.
Expected. With all of it's popularity, Sony would be crazy to not try and leverage the IP.

And what's meh about that? You know you don't need to comment in a topic about a game on a system you never liked. Imagine if i did the same in every pokemon, Mario thread!

LordLichtenstein said:

What if The Last of Us 2 is to TLOU what Uncharted 2 was to Uncharted 1? :D

*heads explodes*

CosmicSex said:

I disagree.  Having played the game, it is obvious that even though Joels story is the adhesive, the last of us is a game about people in different situations dealing with the world they live in.   TLOU is the story of Joels survivin' in that world.  All other charachter have their own unique stories but ultimately everyone is living in a world ravaged by the fungus.   One of the great parts of the story is that you could tell that everyone Joel encounterd had a unique story.  The DLC dives into this and lets us explore Ellie's deeper story.   And that was just one character. 

Joels story is the adhesive that holds all of these complex backgrounds together, but each story in itself is very compelling.  Even David's story... or rather especially David's.  Also Marlene's story and Tess; not to mention Tommy and his family... heck even Ish could get a whole game.

What? No it isn't. It most definitely is only about Joel, and to a lesser extent, Ellie. It's not about Joel surviving anything. It's about Joel dealing with the loss of his daughter. That's it. Of course they're are others living in that world. It would be inauthentic story telling to not flesh out those characters as they interact with him. Every good story with supporting characters does this. That doesn't somehow make the setting more important. It merely makes the setting more credible. If the setting was WW2 Germany instead of a zombie apocolypse, the characters would be just as fleshed out. Not of that makes a sequel more credible.

Around the Network
arcane_chaos said:
LordLichtenstein said:

What if The Last of Us 2 is to TLOU what Uncharted 2 was to Uncharted 1? :D

*heads explodes*

Literally.

Azerth said:
Not surprising Sony is going to milk that franchise for as long as they can

Why is this Sony specific? Whic developer doesn't follow up on such a good selling game? Try harder.

spemanig said:
CosmicSex said:

I disagree.  Having played the game, it is obvious that even though Joels story is the adhesive, the last of us is a game about people in different situations dealing with the world they live in.   TLOU is the story of Joels survivin' in that world.  All other charachter have their own unique stories but ultimately everyone is living in a world ravaged by the fungus.   One of the great parts of the story is that you could tell that everyone Joel encounterd had a unique story.  The DLC dives into this and lets us explore Ellie's deeper story.   And that was just one character. 

Joels story is the adhesive that holds all of these complex backgrounds together, but each story in itself is very compelling.  Even David's story... or rather especially David's.  Also Marlene's story and Tess; not to mention Tommy and his family... heck even Ish could get a whole game.

What? No it isn't. It most definitely is only about Joel, and to a lesser extent, Ellie. It's not about Joel surviving anything. It's about Joel dealing with the loss of his daughter. That's it. Of course they're are others living in that world. It would be inauthentic story telling to not flesh out those characters as they interact with him. Every good story with supporting characters does this. That doesn't somehow make the setting more important. It merely makes the setting more credible. If the setting was WW2 Germany instead of a zombie apocolypse, the characters would be just as fleshed out. Not of that makes a sequel more credible.

Aside from your usual preferences, that's just not correct. The Walking Dead is exactly about the stories people experience, but that never means that Rick's story is the only interesting one.

thedawghousev2 said:

We're in a thread about a pretty much already confirmed sequel to the last of us, meaning the people who made the last of us already decided to make a sequel. That's proof, if it wasn't proven already based on the ending, that there is room for a sequel. You claim that making a sequel is sloppy writing, that must mean that you know more about writing than the creators themselves.

No, it's proof that a sequel will make money. And yeah, if the writers truly did believe that a sequel to TLOU was an intelligent writing decision, and I'm 99% sure they don't actually believe that, then I absolutely and unequivocally do know more about writing than the creators themselves.

thedawghousev2 said:
kinisking said:
thedawghousev2 said:
kinisking said:
thedawghousev2 said:
CosmicSex said:
Without a doubt the best game I ever played.
imagine this: I played Nino Kumi, BioShock Infinite, and TLOU all in the same month...

I nearly overdosed on good games. An amazing RPG, an amazing FPS/RPG and an Epic Third Person/Action Adventure.

instantly surpassed super mario world, super mario sunshine, pokemon emerald, 007: agent under fire, and a certain dude bro fps game that is looked down upon in this community called call of duty: world at war as my favorite game of all time. played it three months ago on the ps4 and i love it, played the campaign three times already

I'm sorry but now way tlou 2 will sell 15 million copies. Too much competition from uncharted and all of the other amazing games Sony makes 

the ps4 sells software like no other, the last of us ps3 version alone sold 7-8 million and the ps3 didn't sell software as well as the ps4. the last of us 2 will come out in 2016 or 2017 maybe even 2018, by then the ps4 will have sold 70-100 million if not more, and uncharted will be long gone. the last of us is huge man, will sell systems even that late in the generation.

The ps4 sells 3rd party software like no other. Not first party. When they actually get some competition it'll be even less of a chance 

lol The Last of Us Remastered 2.5 million probably much higher by now, Infamous 2 million, Driveclub on it's way to 2 million, LittleBigPlanet 3 on it's way to 1 million, Killzone SF, despite how bad it was, sold 2 million, Knack even got 1.25 million. come on now man, i know you love xbox but be real here. i get 15 million may seem overly optimistic but the last of us is a 10+ million seller already.

"I know you love xbox". I knew that card would be used. I said it wouldn't sell that much because of the competition from great games later one. Knack was heavily bundled. This is the beginning of the generation. Theyres less completion. Tlou selling 10 million copies? Possible. 15 mil no way. I don't even think halo ever sold that much. Heck did anyone besides ninty sell that much on one platform with a non casual game like this 

Ltd predictions by the time 9th Gen comes out

Ps4:110million

Xbox one :75 million( was 65) 

Wii u: 20 milliion