By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - The Last of Us 2 Confirmed. Sort of.

thedawghousev2 said:
spemanig said:
CosmicSex said:

What do you mean? The world has a ton of potential.  We don't even know who the main characters will be.

TLOU isn't about the world. That's just the setting to push a very specific, and ultimately complete, narrative about two characters. Making a sequel to it is like making a Lord of the Flies 2.

if you know the ending of the last of us, how can you say it's complete based on what happened at the end?

The whole point of the end to me is to dispel these comformist notions. Its about what real people would do, its about real outcomes and not just those which offer people a false sense of closure. None of that speaks to sequel IMO. The world itself is paper thin,  its literally just a realitic potrayal of the zombie apocolypse  with your usual fractions, nothing really unique about it. Its entirely the characters and their narratives which pushes the game.

Around the Network
Damagon said:

The original TLOU will not change because there is a sequel. And if a new story bothers you so much you can always not buy it/play it/care for it, simply ignore it and you will never know. But do you have the integrity to do that?

The mere existance of a sequel ruins the integrity of TLOU. That was not a story that needed one. "Don't play it" is not a pacifier to that. If someone writes a sequel to 12 Angry Men, I'd obviously skip the thing, but that doesn't mean that there isn't a problem with that. It just means that I'm not consuming the problem. Creating a sequel to the TLOU completely shits on the integrity of the story that game tried to tell.

Legendary_W said:
Skullwaker said:
I'm kinda afraid tbh. I hope this doesn't become a lengthy series that ruins what made the original so great. That seems to be a trend in modern gaming.

Agreed. Being the sequel to a good game doesn't make it automatically good. They could very well mess up. There are hight expectations and they can't just grab the original game ad copy all the good things from it. They would have to add new stuff that was either missing on the original game, or upgrade absolutely everything + some new exciting and unexpected features.

In short, the only way to surpass the original one is trying out new approaches on the gameplay, and that can go either way.

Yeah, and even if they do give a massive upgrade to the gameplay, people are still wanting a phenomenal story that is better or at least on par with the original. Which is going to be incredibly difficult, as TLOU has one of the most engaging stories in gaming. People were willing to overlook the flaws of the gameplay because the story was so great, but I don't think people will be willing to overlook the flaws of the story just because the gameplay is great. At least not in this scenario.

Plus with a bunch of lead artists and such leaving ND, it'll be interesting to see how this game (and Uncharted 4, for that matter) shape up in comparison to their predecessors. Only time will tell, I guess.

Official Tokyo Mirage Sessions #FE Thread

thedawghousev2 said:

SPOILERS FOR ANYONE WHO HASN'T PLAYED THE GAME AND IS READING THIS

They ended it with Joel lying about what happened with the fire flies, when Ellie finds out that what Joel said was bullshit, then she will be pissed. Then a plethora of possibilities can come from that. The Last of Us is my favorite game of all time, but what happened at the end of the game is not enough for it to end there, not even close.

I know how it ends. It literally hurts my head that you wanted more explanation in the ending. You're not supposed to see what happens if Ellie finds out. Of course there are plenty of possibilities. It's leaving the rest to the imagination. It's being subtle. It's respecting the audience's intelligence. There's nothing that Ellie being pissed adds cunstructively to that story. Absolutely nothing. Maybe she never even finds out. Who knows? I guess we all fucking will.

Let's make a sequel to Majora's Mask while we're at it. There's just so much more to learn about that world, right? I mean, it's not a good and finite conclusion unless every single lose end is tied, right? Geeze.

In all honesty im not to happy about this if true. The first game is a master peice, one of tue best games ive ever played! But leave it at that master peice (the citizen kane of gaming)

If true i hope its with a new set of characters, using joel and ellie again would be foolish. During the last of us live event they even said joel and ellies story is finished. Thats unless they lied....

Obviously making a sequel is the smart thing to do but id be more interested to see what new ip ND do next since anything they do is gold. 

Around the Network
spemanig said:
thedawghousev2 said:

SPOILERS FOR ANYONE WHO HASN'T PLAYED THE GAME AND IS READING THIS

They ended it with Joel lying about what happened with the fire flies, when Ellie finds out that what Joel said was bullshit, then she will be pissed. Then a plethora of possibilities can come from that. The Last of Us is my favorite game of all time, but what happened at the end of the game is not enough for it to end there, not even close.

I know how it ends. It literally hurts my head that you wanted more explanation in the ending. You're not supposed to see what happens if Ellie finds out. Of course there are plenty of possibilities. It's leaving the rest to the imagination. It's being subtle. It's respecting the audience's intelligence. There's nothing that Ellie being pissed adds cunstructively to that story. Absolutely nothing. Maybe she never even finds out. Who knows? I guess we all fucking will.

Let's make a sequel to Majora's Mask while we're at it. There's just so much more to learn about that world, right? I mean, it's not a good and finite conclusion unless every single lose end is tied, right? Geeze.

Relax, almost everyone I know who has played this game wants to know what happens, where or how you came up this notion that the ending was desgined for the  imagination and the imagination only is beyond me. Bottom line is you're in the minority, people want to see what happens, people want to see a newer version of the ellie and joel story, and the ending of the last of us allows that to happen.

And he doesnt even work for ND anymore, weird mistake to make. Any chance he could be talking about Left behind (before it was named such) and just called it 2? 

Somehow I think it's too easy of an error, or maybe if he remodeled joel and ellie in tlou:r and called it 2

the great sales of the first game already confirmed a sequel

spemanig said:
CosmicSex said:

What do you mean? The world has a ton of potential.  We don't even know who the main characters will be.

TLOU isn't about the world. That's just the setting to push a very specific, and ultimately complete, narrative about two characters. Making a sequel to it is like making a Lord of the Flies 2.

I disagree.  Having played the game, it is obvious that even though Joels story is the adhesive, the last of us is a game about people in different situations dealing with the world they live in.   TLOU is the story of Joels survivin' in that world.  All other charachter have their own unique stories but ultimately everyone is living in a world ravaged by the fungus.   One of the great parts of the story is that you could tell that everyone Joel encounterd had a unique story.  The DLC dives into this and lets us explore Ellie's deeper story.   And that was just one character. 

Joels story is the adhesive that holds all of these complex backgrounds together, but each story in itself is very compelling.  Even David's story... or rather especially David's.  Also Marlene's story and Tess; not to mention Tommy and his family... heck even Ish could get a whole game.

thedawghousev2 said:

Relax, almost everyone I know who has played this game wants to know what happens, where or how you came up this notion that the ending was desgined for the  imagination and the imagination only is beyond me. Bottom line is you're in the minority, people want to see what happens, people want to see a newer version of the ellie and joel story, and the ending of the last of us allows that to happen.

Because that's good writing. Because an ending like that to a story like that separates good writers from amateur ones. There's no doubt in my mind that TLOU was written to be just one game. There's no room for a sequel. The decision to make one if purely a financial one. No integrity.

And of course I want to know what happens. Everyone does. The ending was designed to make you want to know what happens. The exercise in good writing becomes having the restraint to not tell you. It would be like writing a sequel to Inseption, so you can find out if he's not still dreaming. That's like Aonuma making a sequel to Makora's Mask so you can find out who the Mask Salesman, the Fierce Deity, Termina, and Majora really are. If you can't understand why that's bad, and moreso slimy, writing, then just end I'll just end this discussion here.