By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Movies & TV - What do you think of Idris Elba as James Bond?

I love Idris Elba as an actor, but I still think of James Bond as being the same person, even if the actors change, so I think it would be weird to suddenly make Bond a black guy. I'd still watch it if it happened, but it would be kind of off-putting.

Around the Network

I don't mind. He's an awesome actor and I think he'd do well in the role

He's an awesome actor with amazing screen presence. Bonds been a scot, a Welshman, an Irishman too. This guy actually is British. So no complaints. He would be sweet as Bond.

Or if people complain too much make him another double O in a movie. Like 4 or an 8.

I think it'd be funnier if they'd cast a woman as James Bond. Or make him gay. I'd like that.

Nintendo Network ID: Cheebee   3DS Code: 2320 - 6113 - 9046

DanneSandin said:
The most important thing is that Bond is British! Anything else would be like a none-british Doctor Who. I also kinda feel like a none-white Bond would require quite extensive re-writing from the current Bond we all know and love.

Pierce Brosnon is Irish so being British isn't important . As long as the accent sounds legit.

Around the Network
Cheebee said:

I think it'd be funnier if they'd cast a woman as James Bond. Or make him gay. I'd like that.

but, but, but... what about the tradition of bond girls and the overall male audience? only way this might work is taking for example her

and making her lesbian.  

I think the reason they talked about him being the new bond because Daniel Craig does not like playing bond. He has been hoping that each movie flops so he can terminate it early.

Now onto the topic. He is a good actor but I would not put him as bond simply for the reasons OP outlined. The character is already envisioned to be a white middle aged man with Scottish and British roots.

It is the same reason why you would not do a movie about a white samurai in Japan fighting against his former colleagues. Oh wait Hollywood did go there lol.

padib said:
Seece said:
Stupid, I love him and have no issue with a black bond, but he is only being pushed as a bond candidate BECAUSE he is black. There will be other black actors in a decades time that would make more sense as well.

For some reason I heard you say this in a brittish accent.

Well I do have an upperclass brit accent soo .. :P

Seece said:
padib said:
Seece said:
Stupid, I love him and have no issue with a black bond, but he is only being pushed as a bond candidate BECAUSE he is black. There will be other black actors in a decades time that would make more sense as well.

For some reason I heard you say this in a brittish accent.

I find it to be quite amusing how you mention that you are not only having a british accent but an upperclass british accent. Splendid my dear friend.

Well then good night. Cheerio.

JazzB1987 said:
Seece said:

I find it to be quite amusing how you mention that you are not only having a british accent but an upperclass british accent. Splendid my dear friend.

Well then good night. Cheerio.

Accent, not dialect :P