By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Microsoft Discussion - Has your Xbox 360 ever scratched your disc?

^Same here

My friends have had discs that are non readable because their 360 scratched them.

Guitar Hero 3/ Smash Hits
Around the Network
MikeB said:
darklich13 said:
Haven't had this problem at all. As long as you keep your DVDs clean you won't have a problem.

In the test I linked above, they used brand new games for all three test days (5 hours of gaming per test) placed carefully placed into the 360s and investigated by professionals (the whole test was taped from start to finish). All three tests showed disc scratches, so you cannot promise this to people.

I can't look at the video from work, but it certainly sounds like something else is wrong, like a bad 360, or the test was rigged.  Only 15 hours of testing? I've played for over 1000 hours on my three 360's (two RRoD'd).  Only scratched disk I ever got was when my 360 was verticle and my friend's 2 year old knocked the system over.  So, I've had RRoD issues (confirmed) but scratching disks when system and disks are well taken care of?  Hmmm, confirmed untrue? 

Tag: Hawk - Reluctant Dark Messiah (provided by fkusumot)

@ Hawk

You should watch the video then. They tested various (different) systems simultaneously, they showed disc scratching, but that doesn't per se imply the notorious deep carved circle of death which renders all affected discs useless. In many cases like with DVD movie scratches you can still use the disc, but in course of time you will experience more and more problems with increased scratching.

Most of my 360 discs for example showed minor scratches, I took extra care with the Gears disc, but the game stopped at some point while bein place horizontally (AFAIR, it told me to clean the disc and reboot at random occasions). The little scratches I noticed on the disc were not present when I placed the disc inside the 360.

Naughty Dog: "At Naughty Dog, we're pretty sure we should be able to see leaps between games on the PS3 that are even bigger than they were on the PS2."

PS3 vs 360 sales

Still seems iffy to me. I have over 300 hours on Oblivion. And I am sure I have played more than that on each Halo 2 and Halo 3. So, three disks, with over 300 hours each, on three different systems, I have seen no visible scratches, when I regularly look at them.

Sounds like an iffy test. So I guess the moral is don't move the 360, or play it in a lab environment, and then you are ok.

@ Hawk

Microsoft uses many different types of drives from different manufacturers. Maybe you're lucky.

Naughty Dog: "At Naughty Dog, we're pretty sure we should be able to see leaps between games on the PS3 that are even bigger than they were on the PS2."

PS3 vs 360 sales

Around the Network

Scratched my Mass Effect disk and have been getting alot of disk read errors since 4-5 months ago. Got alot better after i used a dvd lens cleaner but the disk errors still occasionally pop up and my ME is unplayable.

"also, i didnt even move my system, it was standing verticaly. "

well, that's the problem.

And that's the only thing I need is *this*. I don't need this or this. Just this PS4... And this gaming PC. - The PS4 and the Gaming PC and that's all I need... And this Xbox 360. - The PS4, the Gaming PC, and the Xbox 360, and that's all I need... And these PS3's. - The PS4, and these PS3's, and the Gaming PC, and the Xbox 360... And this Nintendo DS. - The PS4, this Xbox 360, and the Gaming PC, and the PS3's, and that's all *I* need. And that's *all* I need too. I don't need one other thing, not one... I need this. - The Gaming PC and PS4, and Xbox 360, and thePS3's . Well what are you looking at? What do you think I'm some kind of a jerk or something! - And this. That's all I need.

Obligatory dick measuring Gaming Laptop Specs: Sager NP8270-GTX: 17.3" FULL HD (1920X1080) LED Matte LC, nVIDIA GeForce GTX 780M, Intel Core i7-4700MQ, 16GB (2x8GB) DDR3, 750GB SATA II 3GB/s 7,200 RPM Hard Drive

MikeB said:
@ Hawk

Microsoft uses many different types of drives from different manufacturers. Maybe you're lucky.

Correct.  So there may be one of the drives they use that's got a problem.  That wouldn't translate into the 360 in general has a problem, now would it.