By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Nintendo shouldn't release a new console earlier than PS5.

Experimental42 said:
Barozi said:

The only thing you're talking about is higher specs, which to me sounds like you expect Nintendo to do a WiiU2, which obviously would be a bad decision and hardly Nintendo's strength.
WiiU profits only fall when Nintendo is abandoning the console, which they usually do quickly. If they learned something from the transition from last to this gen, they would develop cross gen games (pretty much like they already did with Twilight Princess).

Also why would MS and Sony already show new hardware, when their own barely launched. Just to piss off Nintendo? They would harm only their own console sales with that.

Trying to create a second Wii-like success should be their priority and not giving a console life support that will probably never turn profitable at all.
A lot seem to forget that the thing needed R&D to even exist, which was only possible due to the huge profits they got from Wii and DS sales.

If Nintendo wants third party support, they need similar specs. What do you thinks more reasonable, creating something completely new and hoping it catches fire like the Wii or making a console that has comparable specs so you get third parties and super powerful HD Nintendo games?

And announcing the PS2 over two years before release in order to sh*t all over Sega didn't hurt the PS1 or the PS2, so why exactly wouldn't both companies be on board to cut the legs from Nintendo when its new console could steal sales away from them or create an XB360 situation?

They have a machine that's pulling in profits that are actually on the rise. Why rush into killing those profits on a machine that will likely be subject to smear campaigns from machines that WILL be more powerful if only because tech is evolving rapidly?

So basically you think it's a better idea to copy Sony and MS and just make a powerful machine where consumers need to pay $400 (and Nintendo probably still losing money) and then hope that third parties will hop on board instead of trying to catch the casual crowd again like Wii did?

Around the Network
Barozi said:
Experimental42 said:
Barozi said:

The only thing you're talking about is higher specs, which to me sounds like you expect Nintendo to do a WiiU2, which obviously would be a bad decision and hardly Nintendo's strength.
WiiU profits only fall when Nintendo is abandoning the console, which they usually do quickly. If they learned something from the transition from last to this gen, they would develop cross gen games (pretty much like they already did with Twilight Princess).

Also why would MS and Sony already show new hardware, when their own barely launched. Just to piss off Nintendo? They would harm only their own console sales with that.

Trying to create a second Wii-like success should be their priority and not giving a console life support that will probably never turn profitable at all.
A lot seem to forget that the thing needed R&D to even exist, which was only possible due to the huge profits they got from Wii and DS sales.

If Nintendo wants third party support, they need similar specs. What do you thinks more reasonable, creating something completely new and hoping it catches fire like the Wii or making a console that has comparable specs so you get third parties and super powerful HD Nintendo games?

And announcing the PS2 over two years before release in order to sh*t all over Sega didn't hurt the PS1 or the PS2, so why exactly wouldn't both companies be on board to cut the legs from Nintendo when its new console could steal sales away from them or create an XB360 situation?

They have a machine that's pulling in profits that are actually on the rise. Why rush into killing those profits on a machine that will likely be subject to smear campaigns from machines that WILL be more powerful if only because tech is evolving rapidly?

So basically you think it's a better idea to copy Sony and MS and just make a powerful machine where consumers need to pay $400 (and Nintendo probably still losing money) and then hope that third parties will hop on board instead of trying to catch the casual crowd again like Wii did?

Yeah. I think its pretty clear the market that bought the Wii and DS have moved on. The only way Nintendo gets more marketshare is to try to take it from Sony and Microsoft because they clearly aren't taking it from tablets/phones.

Experimental42 said:
Cobretti2 said:
In theory yes it should come out later so it is closer to competition specs.

However I think they will be forced to come out earlier because the sales of Wii U will vanish.

I think they got themselves stuck between generation with the Wii U unfortunately. So their next console assuming it comes out 2017 will be at least 2 years before PS5. They would need to predict what power PS5 will have and try to be reasonable close to it.

However knowing Sony and Microsoft they will see what the next Nintendo console has and just double it lol.

Which is exactly why the next Nintendo console has to wait until the PS5/XB specs are hammered out. Who's going to buy a new Nintendo console when it's more expensive than the PS4, has a smaller library, and know a significantly more powerful system is coming out? The media will jump all over it calling it a failed, DOA console just like they did with the Dreamcast and the Wii U.

If Nintendo releases a new console early and Sony/Ms claim their new system will be X amount more powerful in a couple years, Nintendo's console will f*cking die. Nobody will want to develop for the weaker console, no one will want the weaker games, and the PS5 would likely have a better power to price ratio.

Which happens behind closed doors, they can't even get information on that kind of stuff from AMD (if they happen to be the vendor), because that information is kept under NDA until the agreements drop and Nintendo wouldn't know for sure what they have in their boxes until Sony and Microsoft announce them, which would already be too late if they wanted to launch within a similar time frame.

If their plan was to announce their platform, with firm specs after Sony and Microsoft then they'll be launching years after both of those systems, because that's how long it takes to get R&D done and set all of the schedules for manufacturing, they may not even be able to get hold of the technology they'd want because the providers of said tech may be at capacity because they're trying to fulfil the needs of other customers. Especially if they go for some of the newer technologies.

No the best thing for Nintendo is to concentrate on righting the wrongs that they've made in online, focus on developing their own studios to provide the kinds of games that will change their image to one of a more diverse nature that appeals to the gamers that buy 3rd party games, that way they can legitimately go to 3rd party publishers and get them onboard to publisher their games on the next platform. Nintendo needs to ask for help from external studios to find out what hardware they need to put in their next box. Making Wii U's line-up more diverse now would probably actually give it more mass market appeal and drive the sales up, especially if the machine's price drops like a stone within a year or so.

If anything they can stretch the Wii U's life by actually dropping games that diversify the line-up to fit in with 3rd party, even if it costs Nintendo profits, because they need to pay to show the community they want to change, that they're willing think about the broader market. It doesn't mean they have to give up on their main staples of Mario and the other traditional titles that they have done, but if they can cater to a wider audience then 3rd party publishers see that there's potential for their games in the future.

Nintendo has more issues than their platform not being that powerful compared to the competition, it goes much deeper than hardware performance. Running on the Wii U for too long may be damaging, being first to market with some game changing tech, that will definitely be substantially more powerful than PS4 in 3 years from now is not a bad move in the slightest, espcially if it's backed by a different stance on the overall library Nintendo brings to the platform themselves and their online network is a step ahead of the competition.

Another factor I almost forgot was that Nintendo needs to get better with their system software support for external developers, this was apparently a major issue why Wii U lost it's 3rd party support so early (besides not being X86 or having the gap in hardware performance it did).

vkaraujo said:

That does not mean Nintendo has to do everything the same as the HD Twins or go after the same audience, what would required a lot of work.

Agree

There only hope of growth is from

1. Their core adult fans

2. Retainig kids who become teens (this is where they loosig their players atm). Need adult games to cater to them

3. Getting more kids to buy there systems instead of ipad games.

Forget the casuals.

FayeC said:
Barozi said:

Yeah. I think its pretty clear the market that bought the Wii and DS have moved on. The only way Nintendo gets more marketshare is to try to take it from Sony and Microsoft because they clearly aren't taking it from tablets/phones.

The jump from handheld to smartphones really isn't that big, but you think that tens of millions previous Wii owners wouldn't buy a home console ever again?
Why not making it more efficient to steal marketshare from MS and Sony by only developing first person shooters. Those platformer-lovers will surely move on...
In reality, neither PS4, X1 or WiiU are offering anything worthwhile for casual gamers. They were forced to move on. But that doesn't mean that they wouldn't come back once they see something they like.

Around the Network
Barozi said:
FayeC said:
Barozi said:

The jump from handheld to smartphones really isn't that big, but you think that tens of millions previous Wii owners wouldn't buy a home console ever again?
Why not making it more efficient to steal marketshare from MS and Sony by only developing first person shooters. Those platformer-lovers will surely move on...
In reality, neither PS4, X1 or WiiU are offering anything worthwhile for casual gamers. They were forced to move on. But that doesn't mean that they wouldn't come back once they see something they like.

The Jump from Wii To modern Smartphone isn't very big either. There is no reason for the casual user to invest in a Wii to pick up a handfull of games any longer because their needs are being met with a device that they carry around anyway. A device that the gaming portion of is effectively free with the purchase of the functional portion of.

I don't think Nintendo has to make first person shooters to attract Xbox and PS users, they would get them from the same sources as those two if their platform was more suitable for third party software to thrive on.

As for the bold, I'd have to disagree. The social features of the new consoles are intended just for causal gamers. The type of people who don't buy external screenshot/recording software, would never direct their browser to twitch.tv and are overjoyed to be using their smart device as part of their console expereince and getting subscription games on a monthly basis. Certainly no casual gamer has been forced to move on to an Xbone or a PS4. So much of the software is still on the older platforms. People are buying new hardware because they want it. This is in contrast to the Wii where software had a pretty abrupt halt, and users felt they may have had to move on to other platforms.

teigaga said:
I get where you're coming from but I don't think you've thought about it thoroughly enough.

Did being released over a year early hurt the PS1, PS2 or Xbox 360? History has shown arriving early is normally a good thing. Also Dreamcast comparisons are flawed because Sega simply run out of money. If they hadn't the system probably would have outsold the gamecube and Xbox.

Tech wise, Nintendo doesn't need to wait for the others to release their specs to be within the ball park they simply need to communicate with 3rd parties and manage those expectation against what they can afford. Because of diminishing returns, I don't see it being hugely important whether Nintendo match the PS5 specs, they just need to easily trump PS4 and X1 by a fair margin.

You just made my point. You think the PS1 and PS2 are the "early" release consoles. They're not. The Saturn and Dreamcast came out earlier than both respectively and were killed by all the following consoles. There's a precedence for early consoles being killed just as I predict will happen if Nintendo releases a new console early.

I'll say it now, if Nintendo releases a new console that's stronger than the PS4, Sony will show off conceptual art for a PS5 game within the month. Just like they did with the bullsh*t old man demo to show off PS2's graphics and how much more powerful it was than the Dreamcast.

The XB360 was only successful because the PS3 release was almost as stupid as the XB1 launch. They charged 500 dollars, had crappy online, it sucked to develop for, and had vastly inferior ports.

What do you thinks's going to happen? Third parties will go to Nintendo's obvious dead duck early release console? Or will they do what they did with the PS3/360/WiiU where Wii U got inferior multiplat support despite being stronger? I really doubt they'll put the extra effort in to make a better looking game for ONLY Nintendo, especially when most can't even be bothered to make a PC version that isn't complete garbage on release.

Release with the others, share the common architecture, have roughly the same power, and you will guarantee multiplat support for the entire generation. It's the biggest flaw with the Wii U, and an early release console is subject to the SAME issue.

PDF said:
Terrible strategy The WiiU didn't die because it was released too early. It probably would have done better if they could have released it even earlier.

Best thing for Nintendo to do is try to be super innovative and find a new way to game that captures peoples attention. They also must do this while keeping their console relatively cheap. It would be best if they could do this by 2017. Making them the only new console for at bare minimum 2 years.

Are you trolling or something?

User was moderated for this post.

--Veknoid_Outcast

I think it should only be announced one PS5 there for 2019/2020 at most , this generation is already outdated and as graphics cards are evolving faster very soon it ends, but I want to announce a new Nintendo console along with SONY and M $

Prediction: Nintendo Switch sells 100 million until the end of 2021

MoHasanie said:
The Wii U is in its peak years and is performing so poorly. PS5 will come out in 2019 so I doubt Nintendo would wait that long.

I agree with the author on this. There is no need for Nintendo's next console until the PS5 and XBox2. The U is doing fine and will continue it's sells trend. There will be price drops making it more attractive to non Wii U owners. All Nintendo has to do is bring the games. And make sure they increase develpoment teams to make sure they have games ready for the Wii U successor.