By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Nintendo shouldn't release a new console earlier than PS5.

OP makes a good point about being releasing too early. However, I don't think Nintendo should make more games for the Wii U if sales starts to get lower than 2 million per year. They should just go hand-held only and release the Wii U's successor 2 years after PS4's peak sale.

Around the Network
t3mporary_126 said:

OP makes a good point about being releasing too early. However, I don't think Nintendo should make more games for the Wii U if sales starts to get lower than 2 million per year. They should just go hand-held only and release the Wii U's successor 2 years after PS5's peak sale.

So Nintendo should go without a home console for 4+ years. lol whut!?

Experimental42 said:
KingdomHeartsFan said:

2013 had droughts too, 2014 had way bigger games coming out, going up YoY literally means nothing, its not impressive in any way, especially when the increase was so low.

Yes you are grasping at straws cause none of that has been confirmed FOR 2015, which is what you said.  You said they are coming out in 2015, show me proof of that.

Going up YoY with a "dead" console is impressive. Turning the Wii U profitable when it was a money destroying black hole is impressive. 2014 had far worse droughts because they'd actually built good momentum and it was killed off because nothing else existed.

I also NEVER claimed they'd be out in 2015 and I'm advocating them supporting the Wii U until the PS5 (and by that I mean 9th gen) comes about. That means 2015 and beyond. 2015 already has XBCX, Splattoon, Mario Maker, Zelda U, and Star Fox U, with several smaller titles planned between like Clay Kirby, Yarn Yoshi, Devil's Third, Mario vs DK, and others. There's also Pokken Tournament somewhere in there depending on region and when the port comes in.

Zelda is traditionally as big as Smash, Star Fox is a being made by the team that made the best game in its series, and XBCX essentially has the JRPG market to itself. these games benefit from not being sandwiched between a pair of 4 month droughts like MK8. If 2016 is as good as 2015 it's hard to imagine the YoY not continuing to increase for a forth straight year, meaning more money, which is exactly what a company wants.

Murdering profits to drop hundreds of millions on a new console that will have a short life span is the height of stupidity. Take the money you're getting and do the new gen console right.

No its still not impressive, the fact that the increase is so low is sad at best.  If you can only turn a small increase when your biggest IPs come out its not a good thing, especiall when you were doing horrible before.  Now you've resorted to straight up lying...I'm done

I think Nintendo should continue doing their own thing. The path MS and Sony have taken, creating really mainstream, unoriginal consoles, is so boring and doesn't add to the development of the industry.

Puppyroach said:
I think Nintendo should continue doing their own thing. The path MS and Sony have taken, creating really mainstream, unoriginal consoles, is so boring and doesn't add to the development of the industry.

I think Sony is more original than Nintendo lately, offering new IPs and fresh ideas. What Nintendo is offering with WiiU ? Nintendo just revive always the same games gen after gen.  I think Nintendo should be a 1st Party Sony Developer, and we will have better games, my wish.

”Every great dream begins with a dreamer. Always remember, you have within you the strength, the patience, and the passion to reach for the stars to change the world.”

Harriet Tubman.

Around the Network
Aquietguy said:
DélioPT said:
It really shouldn't come out sooner than the next PS or XB, but that's not the issue.
Problem is that Nintendo will be forced to do so sooner than it probably expected to.
Last gen was one of a kind and probably lasted so long because 2 of the main players for the 3rd party community had no rush to release consoles when they still had to recoup from their losses even years after launch.
So, with no news of a new console, gamers had no option other than stick with 360 and PS3 for more than they anticipated aswell.

Wii U has none of the above: no 3rd party support; no consumer support.
Sales will go down fast after Zelda, not just because the main hitters will have arrived already but because Nintendo will decrease it's support in preparation of the new gen.
Sony and MS can afford to decrease support because of 3rd parties. When Nintendo does it... well, just look at how their release schedule for Wii was like in 2011 and 2012.
In 2011 they released Zelda and Wii Play 2. That was it. And in 2012... nothing.

How will they keep Wii U alive if the Wii situation repeats itself?

Thats where increasing deveoplment studio's come in. Nintendo said its not that easy to do that going from Wii to Wii U. They should be in the procceses making that happen now so they can support the U while also getting games lined up for their next console. Again, as the U gets more games and the price drops there will be more and more on the fence people willing to buy one. Just get the studio's to make the games and not spend too much time on getting third parties.

They said that developing in HD enviroment was hard because it was new to them, but by this time it's something already old to them.
But if i recall correctly, only Retro was hiring a lot of people, with other companies just adding your usual number of newcomers.

I don't think things are as easy as just increasing staff to develop 2 projects at once.
Look at Nintendo's past. During the GC when they still had a good number of western studios, the console saw little support or even meaningful support in it's late years, but that was somewhat compensated with a lot of 3rd parties who provided the most wanted/common genres in variaty and quantity.
Same thing for the Wii. Although in its case Nintendo's output in last two years was even worse than during GC days. But they a console that sold well and 3rd parties released games for that market, so...

Nintendo has less studios than before so Nintendo can't be helped like before.
Deals can be made, but how many smaller studios like Big Red Button are there in the West, with quality staff, to develop games paid by Nintendo?
And even 2nd party studios need time to prepare for next gen, too. Don't cunt on them to release a lot of games in 2 years.

And in Japan it's even worse.
Not even the great friends of old time or backing Nintendo anymore. And even if Nintendo could sustain Wii U in the west, how could do that in Japan?
Deals could be made, but it seems only a few companies are willing to do it with Nintendo and that wouldn't be enough to fill on Nintendo's absence when it starts developing for next gen.

Simply put, in it's last two years Wii U will face serious droughts from Nintendo and besides a number of deals, Nintendo doesn't have enough studios to cover them, no 3rd parties to sustain the console with newer titles - or even old titles, for that matter - nor the console had a big library to really attract new customers... it doesn't even have it now, or else it would be doing a lot better.

Einsam_Delphin said:
t3mporary_126 said:

OP makes a good point about being releasing too early. However, I don't think Nintendo should make more games for the Wii U if sales starts to get lower than 2 million per year. They should just go hand-held only and release the Wii U's successor 2 years after PS5's peak sale.

So Nintendo should go without a home console for 4+ years. lol whut!?

Woops, I meant PS4.

Nate4Drake said:
Puppyroach said:

I think Sony is more original than Nintendo lately, offering new IPs and fresh ideas. What Nintendo is offering with WiiU ? Nintendo just revive always the same games gen after gen.  I think Nintendo should be a 1st Party Sony Developer, and we will have better games, my wish.

Well I was talking about consoles, not games :). Either way, Nintendo might be using their IPs in alot of games, but they always find new and unique ideas when it comes to game concepts.

I don't think there is a fair way to describe what factors would drive Nintendo to choose the timing of its next console release in relation to the next Playstation. Since Nintendo can choose their own path I think it will be sooner than the other major console makers. I imagine they will keep the current peripherals (perhaps adding new ones, as usual) and just sell a powerful base unit that will be competitively priced.

Feel free to check out my stream on twitch 

DélioPT said:

They said that developing in HD enviroment was hard because it was new to them, but by this time it's something already old to them.
But if i recall correctly, only Retro was hiring a lot of people, with other companies just adding your usual number of newcomers.

I don't think things are as easy as just increasing staff to develop 2 projects at once.
Look at Nintendo's past. During the GC when they still had a good number of western studios, the console saw little support or even meaningful support in it's late years, but that was somewhat compensated with a lot of 3rd parties who provided the most wanted/common genres in variaty and quantity.
Same thing for the Wii. Although in its case Nintendo's output in last two years was even worse than during GC days. But they a console that sold well and 3rd parties released games for that market, so...

Nintendo has less studios than before so Nintendo can't be helped like before.
Deals can be made, but how many smaller studios like Big Red Button are there in the West, with quality staff, to develop games paid by Nintendo?
And even 2nd party studios need time to prepare for next gen, too. Don't cunt on them to release a lot of games in 2 years.

And in Japan it's even worse.
Not even the great friends of old time or backing Nintendo anymore. And even if Nintendo could sustain Wii U in the west, how could do that in Japan?
Deals could be made, but it seems only a few companies are willing to do it with Nintendo and that wouldn't be enough to fill on Nintendo's absence when it starts developing for next gen.

Simply put, in it's last two years Wii U will face serious droughts from Nintendo and besides a number of deals, Nintendo doesn't have enough studios to cover them, no 3rd parties to sustain the console with newer titles - or even old titles, for that matter - nor the console had a big library to really attract new customers... it doesn't even have it now, or else it would be doing a lot better.

They should have been adding people. You can only use the "its not that simple as just adding develpoers" forever. Even thought, the Wii U is still fine as in it will the second console of choice for most as more games come and evenual price drops.