By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - Driveclub is the most underrated game of the year

Have you played Driveclub?

No 328 55.69%

Yes 257 43.63%

Total:585
GTAexpert said:

When did you play it exactly, and how much of it did you play? It seems you playede it close to launch and even then, the gameplay was pretty good. Now however, its an incredible game, not an average one. I would call NFS: Rivals average, and The Crew is pathetic. They are not at all better at "filling the gap" if that gap even exists anymore because Driveclub has already erased that gap.

Driveclub is nothing like a sim racer at all, so I don't get that comparison either.

I last played it a few weeks ago. Nothing about it felt extraordinary, but that doesn't mean I disliked it.

Driveclub's physics and controls are more like a sim racer than what we expect from an arcade racer.

Here's a question, have you actually played arcade racers?

Recently Completed
River City: Rival Showdown
for 3DS (3/5) - River City: Tokyo Rumble for 3DS (4/5) - Zelda: BotW for Wii U (5/5) - Zelda: BotW for Switch (5/5) - Zelda: Link's Awakening for Switch (4/5) - Rage 2 for X1X (4/5) - Rage for 360 (3/5) - Streets of Rage 4 for X1/PC (4/5) - Gears 5 for X1X (5/5) - Mortal Kombat 11 for X1X (5/5) - Doom 64 for N64 (emulator) (3/5) - Crackdown 3 for X1S/X1X (4/5) - Infinity Blade III - for iPad 4 (3/5) - Infinity Blade II - for iPad 4 (4/5) - Infinity Blade - for iPad 4 (4/5) - Wolfenstein: The Old Blood for X1 (3/5) - Assassin's Creed: Origins for X1 (3/5) - Uncharted: Lost Legacy for PS4 (4/5) - EA UFC 3 for X1 (4/5) - Doom for X1 (4/5) - Titanfall 2 for X1 (4/5) - Super Mario 3D World for Wii U (4/5) - South Park: The Stick of Truth for X1 BC (4/5) - Call of Duty: WWII for X1 (4/5) -Wolfenstein II for X1 - (4/5) - Dead or Alive: Dimensions for 3DS (4/5) - Marvel vs Capcom: Infinite for X1 (3/5) - Halo Wars 2 for X1/PC (4/5) - Halo Wars: DE for X1 (4/5) - Tekken 7 for X1 (4/5) - Injustice 2 for X1 (4/5) - Yakuza 5 for PS3 (3/5) - Battlefield 1 (Campaign) for X1 (3/5) - Assassin's Creed: Syndicate for X1 (4/5) - Call of Duty: Infinite Warfare for X1 (4/5) - Call of Duty: MW Remastered for X1 (4/5) - Donkey Kong Country Returns for 3DS (4/5) - Forza Horizon 3 for X1 (5/5)

Around the Network

If an 8/10 game that was rated 7/10 for being broken is "underrated", then maybe.

Even so, then you would have to make the case that MCC is the most underrated game, since it was a 9.5/10 game that got 8/10 for being broken.

No, I think it's not underrated or overrated. Sony goofed up with it just like how Microsoft goofed up with MCC, both deserve all the criticism they got, even if both of them are (mostly) fixed. 

You're Gonna Carry That Weight.

Xbox One - PS4 - Wii U - PC

Driveclub's launch wasn't spectacular, this alones makes me think that the game didn't deliver what was originally expected, and while it improved with the following patches, I'm pretty sure that 2014 had many games that launched in an acceptable state, delivered good entertainment for their owners and were definitely unnoted. These titles are really underrated until some grade. I however can't give names because that's just matter of opinion.

Driveclub isn't that kind of game.

My bet with The_Liquid_Laser: I think the Switch won't surpass the PS2 as the best selling system of all time. If it does, I'll play a game of a list that The_Liquid_Laser will provide, I will have to play it for 50 hours or complete it, whatever comes first. 

MikeRox said:
Drive Club's single player was still great fun even while all the issues were going on. I've no idea why reviewers punished it so much over the online aspect. Was a crazy decision to finish the game off post release, it will no doubt suffer for it which is a shame.

The game was delayed primarily because they wanted to make everything about online, one of the big things was their social menus... Or something like that

But basically all the marketing behind this game has focused on the online aspect. It is kind of shocking that it went so very very very wrong.

I was always more interested in seeing how I could avoid the online social interactions

SvennoJ said:

How do they fill the track based arcade racer gap exactly?
The last track based NFS was the run, you don't seriosuly believe that competes with DC?

I've played most track based and open world racers. I prefer the racing in track based games while open world is fun for exploring and doing stunt challenges. DC is definitely the best track based racer since PGR.

If they really want to fill that arcade racer gap they could make another Motorstorm or something like it. I didn't play a lot of Motorstorm on PS3 but I really enjoyed the PSP game... unfortunately that studio was closed.

Anyhow, I don't think there is much demand for arcade racers these days. The Sonic racing games are fantastic and even those struggle.

Recently Completed
for 3DS (3/5) - River City: Tokyo Rumble for 3DS (4/5) - Zelda: BotW for Wii U (5/5) - Zelda: BotW for Switch (5/5) - Zelda: Link's Awakening for Switch (4/5) - Rage 2 for X1X (4/5) - Rage for 360 (3/5) - Streets of Rage 4 for X1/PC (4/5) - Gears 5 for X1X (5/5) - Mortal Kombat 11 for X1X (5/5) - Doom 64 for N64 (emulator) (3/5) - Crackdown 3 for X1S/X1X (4/5) - Infinity Blade III - for iPad 4 (3/5) - Infinity Blade II - for iPad 4 (4/5) - Infinity Blade - for iPad 4 (4/5) - Wolfenstein: The Old Blood for X1 (3/5) - Assassin's Creed: Origins for X1 (3/5) - Uncharted: Lost Legacy for PS4 (4/5) - EA UFC 3 for X1 (4/5) - Doom for X1 (4/5) - Titanfall 2 for X1 (4/5) - Super Mario 3D World for Wii U (4/5) - South Park: The Stick of Truth for X1 BC (4/5) - Call of Duty: WWII for X1 (4/5) -Wolfenstein II for X1 - (4/5) - Dead or Alive: Dimensions for 3DS (4/5) - Marvel vs Capcom: Infinite for X1 (3/5) - Halo Wars 2 for X1/PC (4/5) - Halo Wars: DE for X1 (4/5) - Tekken 7 for X1 (4/5) - Injustice 2 for X1 (4/5) - Yakuza 5 for PS3 (3/5) - Battlefield 1 (Campaign) for X1 (3/5) - Assassin's Creed: Syndicate for X1 (4/5) - Call of Duty: Infinite Warfare for X1 (4/5) - Call of Duty: MW Remastered for X1 (4/5) - Donkey Kong Country Returns for 3DS (4/5) - Forza Horizon 3 for X1 (5/5)

Around the Network
Mr Puggsly said:
GTAexpert said:

Thing is DC was criticised due to things other than gameplay, like it not being an open-world game, lack of content in SP (which is true) and its aggressive AI. They completely overlooked all the things it did well, and there was an overwhelming number of pros than cons. For all it did so well, it never got praised. Even worse are the people who call it a poor game with great graphics without even playing it. That's why I said its underrated.

No, most of the complaints had to do with the game play. Also, it came after some of the same critics reviewed Forza Horizon 2. That's a great game so Driveclub probably felt like a step down in comparison.

What it does well is just average, that's why it got an average metascore.

The game didn't score terribly low and sales are respectable. Why not just be happy the game isn't a failure?

That's your opinion and that's fine. Having played well over a hundred racers in 30 years, what DC does well, it does very very well. It remains fun and challenging after months of playing daily, due to the outstanding tracks and a handling model where you feel you can always get a little bit better.

Maybe it's not mainstream, neither is Bayonetta yet that gets praised for what it does well, not penalized for what it doesn't do.

Anyway you are right, I'm happy it's not a failure and that there is plenty more DLC planned. It might be the first time I'll dip into a season pass once the December premium content hits. So far the free DLC has been top quality.

SvennoJ said:

Maybe it's not mainstream, neither is Bayonetta yet that gets praised for what it does well, not penalized for what it doesn't do.

Apples and oranges. There are expectations from a racer that don't exist for hack n' slash games.

Forza 5 got attacked for only having 200+ cars and 14 tracks (more if you include the track variations).

Recently Completed

Mr Puggsly said:
SvennoJ said:

Apples and oranges. There are expectations from a racer that don't exist for hack n' slash games.

Forza 5 got attacked for only having 200+ cars and 14 tracks (more if you include the track variations).

There are different expectations for arcade and sim racers as well. Forza 5 also got attacked for micro transactions, (now fixed I believe) still not having dynamic time of day or weather like it's closest rival, next to halving the track list and car count.

DriveClub is a new IP, no prior expectations, and held against it peers (Burnout, Ridge racer, PGR, NFS shift/run, Split/Second, Blur or GRID) it's an excellent return to what arcade racing was all about. The only real thing DC is lacking was never even mentioned in reviews. Where is splitscreen? Motorstorm had 4 player splitscreen, MK8 has it.

I would love a new Motorstorm too, as long as they go back to the roots. I didn't enjoy Apocalypse much. Annoying story mode and gimmicky exploding tracks took the fun out of a great franchise. It's a very different experience from road based racing though, not a replacement.

Reviewers focus too much on the graphics though. The real game changer for me is challenge mode. Sure the weather effects make a great looking game look even better and adds extra challenge. Yet without challenge mode it wouldn't be as much fun competing under these conditions.

Driveclub is a good arcade type racing game that I would give maybe an 8/10.

SvennoJ said:

There are different expectations for arcade and sim racers as well. Forza 5 also got attacked for micro transactions, (now fixed I believe) still not having dynamic time of day or weather like it's closest rival, next to halving the track list and car count.

DriveClub is a new IP, no prior expectations, and held against it peers (Burnout, Ridge racer, PGR, NFS shift/run, Split/Second, Blur or GRID) it's an excellent return to what arcade racing was all about. The only real thing DC is lacking was never even mentioned in reviews. Where is splitscreen? Motorstorm had 4 player splitscreen, MK8 has it.

I would love a new Motorstorm too, as long as they go back to the roots. I didn't enjoy Apocalypse much. Annoying story mode and gimmicky exploding tracks took the fun out of a great franchise. It's a very different experience from road based racing though, not a replacement.

Reviewers focus too much on the graphics though. The real game changer for me is challenge mode. Sure the weather effects make a great looking game look even better and adds extra challenge. Yet without challenge mode it wouldn't be as much fun competing under these conditions.

All racing games should have splitscreen!!!

And I never quite felt that Motorstorm lived up to it's potential. Monument valley and splitscreen, that will make me happy