By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - What conventions would you like to see changed in Zelda U?

curl-6 said:
Starting with 3 hearts after dying even when you have a total of like 10.

This is fucking bullshit and all but necessitates tedious heart hunting. If I have a total of 10, I should start from 10 when I die.

I hate to say it but if you died in any recent Zelda game after MM you are pretty bad they are mind numbingly easy. But hey maybe you are talking about Hero mode and to that I say I agree!

http://moongypsy.bandcamp.com/ ~Thank you Stefl1504 for the amazing sig~
Around the Network
toot1231 said:
curl-6 said:
Starting with 3 hearts after dying even when you have a total of like 10.

This is fucking bullshit and all but necessitates tedious heart hunting. If I have a total of 10, I should start from 10 when I die.

I hate to say it but if you died in any recent Zelda game after MM you are pretty bad they are mind numbingly easy. But hey maybe you are talking about Hero mode and to that I say I agree!

Died once in SS cos I got cocky. I have no illusions about being good at video games, my reflexes are quite slow.

Wow ... I think OP expressed most of my pet peeves with the Zelda series ...

Especially with the whole point of puzzles ...

1. I want voice acting, but keep Link a silent protagonist
2. I want to be able to do the dungeons in any order I want
3. I would prefer if the Master Sword, Ganondorf, the Triforce, and Link's green tunic all stayed
4. Don't make the long trips you go on while riding Epona as boring as the sailing in Wind Waker
5. Make it a good challenge for experienced players, but don't have parts in the game where they expect you to do something and not give a single hint (Problem I had in Majora's Mask)
6. Have an option to play as a female Link

Just what I would really like to see

I'd like the convention of people bitching for voice actors to go away.

as for your point 9, NOTHING should be dark souls hard on any mode. that's because DS is cheaply hard, with lagging character controls + instant death almost everywhere. Zelda's combat should get harder, though.

Around the Network
spemanig said:
I think it would be cool if Zelda played more of an antagonistic roll. Maybe the hyrule royal family is an oppressive one. Maybe she's more of a "do what must be done, no matter the cost" kind of leader. Not the main antagonist of course, but it would be a convention that could be spun a little.

Already done in ALBW, although not with zelda.

spemanig said:
Samus Aran said:

The only good thing about Zelda games are the puzzle dungeons lol. Which luckily is 90% of the game. I don't think Zelda is a franchise for you...

I love puzzles because it takes some intellect to solve them. Sure, a lot of them are easy, but still fun regardless. The puzzles in ALBW were very clever.

What I want to see changed:

- No more kill all the enemies in the room puzzle to unlock a door

- No more light all the torches in the room puzzle to unlock a door or key 

- No more key searching in dungeons. It makes no sense to keep a key of a door in the same place as said door. 

The Zelda game that started it all, and the one this game is inspired by, had no dungeon puzzles. Zelda isn't about puzzles, it's about exploration. If you can't handle a Zelda without puzzles, Zelda isn't for you.

The puzzles in Zelda require very little intellect. They are very rarely rewarding.

wrong. zelda has many hard puzzles that require serious thinking. don't downplay it just because you don't like it.

I agree that puzzles overstayed their welcome in previous zelda games and that it needs more action. but the puzzles aren't a problem, only their excess.

Samus Aran said:

Zelda 1 also happens to be a very shitty game. Just because the first game did not have puzzles doesn't mean that Zelda isn't about puzzles. Because it  quite clearly is all about puzzle solving. 

That's like saying Metroid isn't about puzzle solving because the first game did not have puzzles. You can have both puzzles and exploring in one game you know. Play Metroid Prime 1, 2 & 3. 

Zelda 1 is better than most current zelda games. And that "shitty game" is steering the direction of the next Zelda. Metroid isn't about puzzle solving either. I've beaten the primes.

spemanig said:
1. Dungeons explorable in literally any order.

I want to start with the obvious. Aonuma has already stated that this will happen, but I want to be clear - I want to be able to play every single dungeon, except maybe the last, from the start of the game. If Zelda U has 8 dungeons, I want to be able to go to any one I want from the beginning, and be punished for it if I'm not ready.

I want it to feel exactly like Zelda 1 in that way. The only thing stopping me from beating the Lvl 8 dungeon its my lack of skill, not plot. I don't want it to be like ALBW either. No "beat the first three dungeons, then the last seven." I want complete freedom from the second I start the game, not limited freedom.

Personally, I don't want it to be "you can beat any dungeon in any order", because it limits their ability to be creative with the dungeon designs in terms of use of items, etc.

However, I'd love to have access to all of the dungeons from the start, and a need to figure out which items you need for which dungeon, including items found in dungeons you can't yet beat (that is, you get item from Dungeon 3, which then gets used in Dungeon 1 before you are able to beat Dungeon 3). The trend of the games to have the item necessary for the dungeon found within that dungeon makes things relatively boring.

More generally, I want to see items located in other places more often, with the player having to figure out how to obtain it, rather than always being formatted more along the lines of stumbling upon the item as you work your way through a dungeon, with the item then used beyond that point in the dungeon. For instance, you are exploring a dungeon and come across various cracked walls. One specific wall has a bomb flower close enough that you can figure out quickly that it's how you break the wall (if you've never played a Zelda before - obviously there's no "figuring it out" for experienced players), but other walls clearly need a way to move bombs around. Thus, the player is effectively tasked with finding some way to get bombs.

This could play quite well if there were a character somewhere that would provide advice on how to get bombs, and they'll give that advice once you've blown up that wall with the bomb flower - basically, a trigger for Link to know to ask about it. The specific character could be a special one that gives out some advice for each such item. The item could be in another dungeon, it could be something you can buy somewhere, or it might be found in some out-of-the-way place. It might even be an item you can get from another character by doing some sort of quest.

I also would love to see dungeons designed to be solvable by multiple techniques, using various sets of items. So the same dungeon with the bombable walls and bomb flower might also be completable with a hookshot, via a different path. The only restriction would be that you wouldn't be able to reach the boss without items that are necessary to defeat the boss. So essentially, the game would restrict access to some of the bosses via items, and give a natural order to the dungeons, but you could defeat dungeons in any order, because many items aren't found in the dungeons. But you'd need to visit certain dungeons in order to beat other ones (and clever design could make it more interesting - perhaps three dungeons are Water/Fire/Forest types, and to beat each one, you need to obtain an item that you can only trigger by visiting the one that "beats" that type (Fire beats Forest, Forest beats Water, Water beats Fire). So you only have to visit one of the three twice.

In short, there are a lot of ways that they could mix things up without losing the ability to make dungeon design interesting in terms of items, etc. And I wouldn't want to see them lose that element.

jonathanalis said:
i think they got rid of z-targeting with this slowmotion aiming.
seems to be a great convention of 3d zeldas is gone.
at least for arrows...

No, he ZL targets in the video.