By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Has Wii U Reached Full Market Saturation?

RolStoppable said:
zorg1000 said:

It's possible the teams that have already released games on Wii U are currently working on games for its successor to release in 2016-2017. Nintendo has recently stated they are working on a 3D Mario but didn't specify what platform, it could very well be for the next-gen device and be a holiday 2016 launch title. Outside of working on DLC, the Mario Kart team is probably already working on the next installment which could be a Spring 2017 title. We have seen a trend of Zelda remakes releasing every 2 years (OoT-2011, WW-2013, MM-2015) so its very probable Twilight Princess HD is being planned for summer/fall 2017. Retro studios said they got started on a new project when DKC released, they also release a game roughly every 3 years (Prime-2002, Prime 2-2004, Prime 3-2007, DKC:R-2010, DKC:TF-2014) so a new Donkey Kong or Metroid game by them is probably going to release late 2016 or in 2017.

Also I truly believe Nintendo is going to go the route where the next handheld and console share a library so this will also help with releasing games in a timely manner.

Yes, these are things (except the second paragraph) that I have taken into account and you may notice that all of your expected development times result in game releases in late 2016 or early 2017. So a launch before holidays 2016 isn't feasible.

As for the second paragraph, while I do think that quite a few games will indeed be available in more or less the same form on home console and handheld, I doubt that the entire first party lineup will be identical. Think of it in the Wii and DS manner where different control inputs made it impossible for some games to appear on both, even if both systems had been equally powerful.

Well im guessing it will release holiday 2016 so that works out perfectly with the game releases I mentioned.

Ok but look at 3DS & Wii U, very similar input methods (New 3DS actually makes them the exact same). 4 face buttons, 2 analogs, 4 shoulder buttons, dual screen approach, touch screen, gyroscopic motion controls, start, select, home. Basically the only difference is one is HD and the other is 3D. Even the big hitters are becoming more similar, 3D Land/3D World, NSMB2/NSMBU, MK7/MK8, DKC:R/DKC:TF, OoT3D/WWHD. Wii U is basically a console to play bigger, better sequels of 3DS games but the hardware/software is about 50% more expensive (3DS XL-$199.99, software $39.99, Wii U-$299.99, software $59.99) and 3DS has a vastly larger library.

With PS/XB/PC having a lock down on the mainstream AAA crowd, the casual crowd finding a new home on iOS/Android, and Nintendo spreading themselves thin by having to support two distinct pieces of hardware simultaneously, fans of Nintendo franchises are likely to pick the much cheaper option with much better support. Having Nintendo release devices that can share a library helps Nintendo give more sufficient software support along with saving time/money on R&D.

Many of Nintendo's games on Wii U are under performing simply because the install base is not there to support them. Mario Kart 8/3D World for example would likely have sold 2-3 as much if they had an install the size of 3DS to sell to.

When the herd loses its way, the shepard must kill the bull that leads them astray.

Around the Network

I think Nintendo announce a new cheaper model once they end up selling the original +9 million or something Wii Us they manufactured.
And the 9 million people who bought the first model of the Wii U may become like the 3DS ambassadors, get some free virtual console games.

sidmeiernintifan said:
I think Nintendo announce a new cheaper model once they end up selling the original +9 million or something Wii Us they manufactured.
And the 9 million people who bought the first model of the Wii U may become like the 3DS ambassadors, get some free virtual console games.

There is no way they would do an ambassador program, it's a completely different scenario. 3DS had an $80 price reduction 5 months after launch. Wii U is over 2 years old.

When the herd loses its way, the shepard must kill the bull that leads them astray.

Reaching market saturation to me would be sales going downward. Instead they're increasing. Not very much, mind you, but they're increasing. The Wii U will never be what the Wii was, but it can still be a profitable console and it can still sell a healthy amount. At the end of the day, the gamers win as we're getting some pretty incredible games on the console and there's still so much more to come.

Official Tokyo Mirage Sessions #FE Thread

I still think that 2015 will be its peak with all these new games,especially USA'S beloved zelda,plus mario kart 8 smash bros retrospective boost!2014 cannot be its peak year because for the first 5 months of 2014 was selling poorly and then mario kart 8 came...!
I m implying that for the same period in 2015 will be yoy up and why not for the rest of the year...!
So we have to wait to see if there will be new baselines!I used plural because I mean monthly new baseline,i.e in comparison with what it was selling each month in 2014.
Mario kart set wii u at 60k for 3 months and then wii u fell to 40k because of games drought but didn't sell 20k+ like last year...!
January will be the test-drive month...

Around the Network

I doubt nintendo hits 10 million...and when profits from wii u die (which is about a year away) they will announce the successor

tak13 said:

I still think that 2015 will be it's peak with all these new games, especially USA'S beloved zelda,plus mario kart 8 smash bros retrospective boost!2014 cannot be it's peak year because for the first 5 months of 2014 was selling poorly and then mario kart 8 came...!
I m implying that for the same period in 2015 will be yoy up and why not for the rest of the year...!
So we have to wait to see if there will be new baselines!I used plurar because I mean monthly new baseline,i.e in comparison with what it was selling each month in 2014.
Mario kart set wii u at 60k for 3 months and then wii u fell to 40k because of games drought but didn't sell 20k+ like last year...!

I definitely agree with this. I think 2015 will be the peak year. Smash + MK8 will have bumped the baseline, and there will be many more exclusive releases next year, which will provide boosts themselves (Splatoon, Mario Maker, Yoshi, Star Fox, Xenoblade, etc.). And of course Zelda will give a boost in the US. I'm hopeful sales will improve overall next year. Won't be gangbusters, but it will be better.

Skullwaker said:
tak13 said:

I still think that 2015 will be it's peak with all these new games, especially USA'S beloved zelda,plus mario kart 8 smash bros retrospective boost!2014 cannot be it's peak year because for the first 5 months of 2014 was selling poorly and then mario kart 8 came...!
So we have to wait to see if there will be new baselines!I used plurar because I mean monthly new baseline,i.e in comparison with what it was selling each month in 2014.

I definitely agree with this. I think 2015 will be the peak year. Smash + MK8 will have bumped the baseline, and there will be many more exclusive releases next year, which will provide boosts themselves (Splatoon, Mario Maker, Yoshi, Star Fox, Xenoblade, etc.). And of course Zelda will give a boost in the US. I'm hopeful sales will improve overall next year. Won't be gangbusters, but it will be better.

Sales will not improve next year, if history is any indication, they will be on the way down

marioboy2004 said:
Skullwaker said:
tak13 said:

Sales will not improve next year, if history is any indication, they will be on the way down

You just tried to state that Wii U sales will not break 10 million. So forgive me if I take your predictions with a grain of salt. 

marioboy2004 said:
Skullwaker said:
tak13 said:

"HISTORY SAYS THE 3DS IS DOOMED" http://www.ign.com/articles/2011/07/29/history-says-the-3ds-is-doomed

Reminds me of this^ :p

Seriously, you dont think WiiU will hit 10mil Lifetime? Its going to hit 10mil next year bro :0