By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Has Wii U Reached Full Market Saturation?

Not market saturation, but 2014 will probably be its peak year. It peaked in Japan last year so sales can only go down there, and in the rest of the world it only saw moderate gains with its two biggest games.

Maaaaaybe with a $100 cut around the time Zelda releases and some good bundles it can regain lost ground and end up slightly above this years numbers.

I think Nintendo will release a successor late 2016 at the latest.

No troll is too much for me to handle. I rehabilitate trolls, I train people. I am the Troll Whisperer.

Around the Network
padib said:
RolStoppable said:
padib said:

I hope that Nintendo learns their lesson for next gen so they release a console that can be at once profitable and marked at a low price. Kind of like the 3DS.

The 3DS isn't a good example, or even a viable one. It lost money despite being priced relatively high at $170.

It lost money at 170$??

I did not know that. At least it turned profitable soon after, I hope. In that case it's ok. Better than U.

Yes they cut the price Aug 2011 and announced it was profitable again in Aug 2012

When the herd loses its way, the shepard must kill the bull that leads them astray.

Also, Nintendo profits this holiday season may be pretty decent. They moved more Wii U units than last year, released the new 3DS, sold a lot of software, didn't cut their price, and released the amiibo.

Troll_Whisperer said:
Not market saturation, but 2014 will probably be its peak year. It peaked in Japan last year so sales can only go down there, and in the rest of the world it only saw moderate gains with its two biggest games.

Maaaaaybe with a $100 cut around the time Zelda releases and some good bundles it can regain lost ground and end up slightly above this years numbers.

$100 off O.o Jezusssssss :p

Also Nintendo going to release a successor in 2016? at the latest too? I might disagree there especially with the earlier statements they made.

tbone51 said:
Troll_Whisperer said:

Also Nintendo going to release a successor in 2016? at the latest too? I might disagree there especially with the earlier statements they made.

I just don't see Wii U lasting till late 2017. Three more years! Sales are already bad now, I can't imagine how they'll be in 2017.

No troll is too much for me to handle. I rehabilitate trolls, I train people. I am the Troll Whisperer.

Around the Network

I still need to see two things before counting out the system:

1. A Lower price point. A lot of people will argue that it's already a good deal, and if someone isn't buying at 300 they're not going to buy at 250. I think this is partially accurate, but I do believe that simply having a 2 at the beginning of the price could work wonders. Scoff all you want, but different price points affect consumers much more than most people think, even when it's not exactly based on logic. I need to see that sub-300 price before I make any more judgements.

2. More "traditional" games. People get on my case when I talk about the Wii U's current lineup, stating that there are a lot of great games. My argument is that just having games that are "fun" is not enough. People who aren't already hardcore Nintendo fans want games that are exciting and grand, and most of all not something you can get elsewhere. The Wii U is currently filled with platformers and titles that are somewhat niche. Fun games, yes, but not enough to excite most potential buyers, and in most cases not experiences that can't be had on other systems (namely the 3DS). Zelda is perhaps the first non-competitive game with a traditionally large scope to be lined up for the system, and that's what a lot of people are waiting for. A great big Zelda game, a Mario that feels as grand as Galaxy, maybe a Star Fox or a Metroid. Again, you'll probably scoff, but a lot of systems get sold based on that wow-factor, and the Wii U has none of that. Just a lot of solid games that are either very small in scope, or large in scope but of a niche genre that will scare away most people. I need to see more "big" games to really know how the system will fare.

Currently playing:

Bloodbath Paddy Wagon Ultra 9

No, it's actually quite the opposite. I'm sure if you studied market saturation you would understand this statement better.

I'd have to say 99 out of 100 people who are interested in the Wii U don't have one, but at the same time they either don't want a ps or xb1 or they have one and will be getting a Wii U as well at some point because it's a different experience.

Troll_Whisperer said:
tbone51 said:
Troll_Whisperer said:

I just don't see Wii U lasting till late 2017. Three more years! Sales are already bad now, I can't imagine how they'll be in 2017.

I think 2017 holiday (that would be 5 years on the market) is a safe bet. You dont want to cut consumers trust, though its not like its that many lol.

Also I dont see 2014 as the peak year. I see 2015 as it. 2014 might of had the 2 biggest HC franchises released but it only also had 1 spin off and 1 other main game. (1st party).

Here's how i see it.

2015:

~Prce Cut to $250 maybe in Fall (September-ish)

~Much More Games than 2014 (Talking 1st Party). Kirby/Splatoon/MP10/XCX/Star Fox/Zelda/Yoshi with possible rumored HD Remake/Port and 2-3 Unnannounced Games (This tends to happen alot). There is also that FE x SMT game if it still exist.

2016: (My Personal Prediction)

~Amiibo Game (A game that revolves around Amiibos, i dont know XD

~Some Major Announcements: 1-2 surprises and maybe Metroid + AC + FZero

2017:

~Price Cut to $200-$220

New Console releases Nov^

RolStoppable said:
Troll_Whisperer said:

That's a fair observation, but at the same time there is one thing, if nothing else, that should be expected from Nintendo for their next console: A properly planned stream of software releases, because the lack of it hampered both the 3DS and Wii U any way you analyze the shortcomings of these two systems. With that in mind, late 2016 is the earliest point in time for a successor, regardless of how atrocious Wii U sales are going to be. After all, they still have a bunch of big Wii U titles in development and have to prepare for the 3DS successor as well.

To be fair, I don't expect Wii U earlier than late 2016 either, so I worded my first post wrong. Next year seems early and 2017 late, so I guess I expect it to launch in 2016.

RolStoppable said:
Troll_Whisperer said:

That's a fair observation, but at the same time there is one thing, if nothing else, that should be expected from Nintendo for their next console: A properly planned stream of software releases, because the lack of it hampered both the 3DS and Wii U any way you analyze the shortcomings of these two systems. With that in mind, late 2016 is the earliest point in time for a successor, regardless of how atrocious Wii U sales are going to be. After all, they still have a bunch of big Wii U titles in development and have to prepare for the 3DS successor as well.

It's possible the teams that have already released games on Wii U are currently working on games for its successor to release in 2016-2017. Nintendo has recently stated they are working on a 3D Mario but didn't specify what platform, it could very well be for the next-gen device and be a holiday 2016 launch title. Outside of working on DLC, the Mario Kart team is probably already working on the next installment which could be a Spring 2017 title. We have seen a trend of Zelda remakes releasing every 2 years (OoT-2011, WW-2013, MM-2015) so its very probable Twilight Princess HD is being planned for summer/fall 2017. Retro studios said they got started on a new project when DKC released, they also release a game roughly every 3 years (Prime-2002, Prime 2-2004, Prime 3-2007, DKC:R-2010, DKC:TF-2014) so a new Donkey Kong or Metroid game by them is probably going to release late 2016 or in 2017.

Also I truly believe Nintendo is going to go the route where the next handheld and console share a library so this will also help with releasing games in a timely manner.

When the herd loses its way, the shepard must kill the bull that leads them astray.