By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - PS3 vs. Xbox 360 ports - Microsoft's rebuttal

twesterm said:
Nth said:

5) Your all freakin idiots. - That last quote was by me because I have quite frankly had it with the console wars and all of the constant bitching that goes back and forth. It's a giant pissing contest that I am, gladly, stepping out of now. I've said my peace and I'm sticking to my opinions and views and you can even rebuttal this to your very hearts content....not going to reply. However, if you feel the need to continue making an ass of yourself them by all means.

Nth, please keep things civil. I'm absolutely fine with you having your opinion and expressing that opinion to your hearts content but please play nice or get out.

He's only been here for 54 posts and we've already driven him crazy.  Well done, but let's aim for below 50 with the next new person.  vgChartz is about continuous improvement after all. ^_^

Around the Network

Retrasado said:

Regardless of what M$ said, the gamerscore and achievements are a moot point when Home comes out and they failed to mention the fact that the 360 has been out for a year longer than its competition (which explains why it has more games and better games).
Conclusion: all PR spins are crap. Just sift the useful information (if any) out of them and get back to playing your games. (I assume that's why you bought your console; to play games, right?)

Good points, system reliability, disc scratching, system noise, etc also potentially affects the user enjoyability of games, should games receive a penalty for this? Gamescore support is a 360 system wide feature, as this feature is widely used and common amongst 360 games I think not supporting this feature it makes more sense this should rather result into penalties instead of resulting into bonus points if games do support this feature. What if Home starts to offer much more compelling system wide features, should PS3 games be ranked considerably higher than 360 versions?

It's important for devs to tap system specifc features, Wii or PS2 like graphics or sound (or too limited game complexity, like unimpressive AI, Physics, world size, etc) is unacceptable for 360 or PS3 games, but is prefectly suitable for the PS2 and Wii.

Cross platform developers who haven't yet started adapting their game engines for the PS3 I believe will have a hard time in the future, reviewers playing more impressive PS3 exclusives and some well adapted cross platform titles will probably start to slam subpar efforts. They will not look at this as a PS3 problem anymore, but rather as a development company effort problem. 

Naughty Dog: "At Naughty Dog, we're pretty sure we should be able to see leaps between games on the PS3 that are even bigger than they were on the PS2."

PS3 vs 360 sales

I heard the framerate for some games such as Madden and NCAA Football were 60 fps for 360 and 30 fps for PS3. I have never played or seen a PS3 so I can't comment on the graphical difference between the same games. Plus, being a 360 owner - I'm sure I wouldn't be able to objectively look at it without bias.

Achievements is a plus for some owners for sure .

But Live is a downer because well ....you have to pay for something that Sony is giving for free (well SOny and about everybody else outside MS ) .

The thing is ...when Home and Trophies arrive ....what will be the point in buying 360 versions ?

As for the port quality goes things are definitely changing ...most of the high budget games already look as good or better on the PS3 ...Army of Two ,Burnout Paradise ,Call of Duty 4 ,Devil May Cry 4 .....theres still some exceptions with small developers that just port from the 360 to get the PS3 version but all in all things are nearly equal right now .

But Live is a downer because well ....you have to pay for something that Sony is giving for free (well SOny and about everybody else outside MS ) .

The thing is ...when Home and Trophies arrive ....what will be the point in buying 360 versions ?

As for the port quality goes things are definitely changing ...most of the high budget games already look as good or better on the PS3 ...Army of Two ,Burnout Paradise ,Call of Duty 4 ,Devil May Cry 4 .....theres still some exceptions with small developers that just port from the 360 to get the PS3 version but all in all things are nearly equal right now .

Around the Network
Diomedes1976 said:

Excellent point, online game scores for Super Stardust HD is a free service. Hope the online multiplayer pack will be released soon.

I wish some journalists would finally have the balls to ask Microsoft for a rebuttal on points brought forward in this thread.

Naughty Dog: "At Naughty Dog, we're pretty sure we should be able to see leaps between games on the PS3 that are even bigger than they were on the PS2."

PS3 vs 360 sales

Rock_on_2008 said:

Whether you are a Sony fanboy or neutral. The XBox 360 has the best graphics card despite the XBox 360 with its well known hardware problems. The graphics card for the XBox 360 is 512 MB, thats is as good as most PC graphic cards.

False. The 360 shares 512MB of RAM with it's CPU and GPU. The PS3 has a total of 512MB of RAM. 256MB dedicated to one, and 256MB dedicated to the other. Yeah, of course you can use all 512MB for the GPU on the 360...but where does the processing for the actual game come then, huh? You can't dedicate 512 to graphics on the 360 and have a functioning game.

PSN: Lone_Canis_Lupus

Lone_Canis_Lupus said:
Rock_on_2008 said:

Whether you are a Sony fanboy or neutral. The XBox 360 has the best graphics card despite the XBox 360 with its well known hardware problems. The graphics card for the XBox 360 is 512 MB, thats is as good as most PC graphic cards.

False. The 360 shares 512MB of RAM with it's CPU and GPU. The PS3 has a total of 512MB of RAM. 256MB dedicated to one, and 256MB dedicated to the other. Yeah, of course you can use all 512MB for the GPU on the 360...but where does the processing for the actual game come then, huh? You can't dedicate 512 to graphics on the 360 and have a functioning game.

Yes, with regard to RAM size a similar situation is the case for the PS3. On the PS3 the CPU needs system RAM as well. However the GPU has fast access to the XDR Ram as well, so this RAM can be used if needed. The Cell has slow access to the graphics RAM, but this doesn't make much sense for use in games as the XDR Ram is faster combined with low latencies which is important to CPUs, especially for a CPU like the Cell. (also the Cell isn't really in need of more RAM, the huge bandwidth is far more important by an order of magnitude)

PS3 vs 360 sales

MikeB said:
izaaz101 said:
crumas2 said:
MikeB said:

This because the SPUs require you to design your code efficiently and well structured, the CPUs aren't that different with regard to running well optimed code. Once you have a PS3 with the YDL6 installed do some coding. It's not hard, but you will be able to spot inefficiencies easily and this is crucial for the SPUs.

Some quotes from developers:

Insomiac Games:

"Conclusions

* It's not that complicated.
* Good data and good design works well on the SPUs (and will work well anywhere)
- Sometimes you can get away with bad design and bad data on other platforms
-...for now. Bad design will not survive this generation.
*Lots of opportunities for optimization."

http://www.insomniacgames.com/tech/articles/0208/files/insomniac_spu_programming_gdc08.ppt

Article being discussed here at Beyond3D:

http://forum.beyond3d.com/showthread.php?t=47057

A PC/360 games dev responded:

"Regardless of managed memory or cached memory, the concepts and methods Mike has presented is highly portable. In the case of cached memory, that method results in optimized cache locality and cache utilization (something extremely important when multiple threads are sharing L1 on a single core, and multiple cores are sharing L2), and a predictable way to optimally prefetch. Good data locality, minimal sync points, branch elimination, and vectorization are all required to be able to extract great performance out of the 360 as well.""

Sony finally made a statement with regard to this as well, something I have been saying for a long time:

"Third party publishers and developers are moving away from using Xbox 360 as their primary development platform. They understand that developing on PlayStation 3 first makes more sense and, in fact, will make the Xbox 360 version look better."

Nostromo (Ninja Theory) developer at NeoGAF:

"Using PS3 as a 'lead platform' is the right thing to do if you are going to make a game that has to run on 360 and PS3. The reason is very simple: on PS3 designing your data structure in the proper way is paramount to achieve decent performance (and to scale up..), while your PS3 friendly data will be also 360 friendly data in the vast majority of cases.
This is a big win cause you will definitely be able to get the most from BOTH platforms."

Another multi-platform games developer posting at Beyond3D (admitted their initial games were just "quick & dirty ports from 360, still doing a game on 360 first but should change in the future):

"We all agree given the time we'd like to architect for the SPU's first then work back... giving us cache-friendly algorithms by design "

Note SPU friendly code is cache friendly on the PC/360.

Some quotes from a dev working on Tomb Raider Underworld (from E-mpire forums):

"asset-wise 360 was around first, so we made stuff keeping the 360 in mind first."

"Well, that all depends on your definition. Writing code optimized for the PS3 and using threading policies that are suited the SPUs is a given, because not doing so would not be acceptable at all. All our multithreading is done on PS3 first without exception, and other platforms emulate SPURS."

"Secondly, the matters of multithreading policies, the whole job queue architecture, encapsulation of jobs and their corresponding data packets, etc. that work on the PS3 are indeed more than applicable of the 360/PC. And as I've mentioned before, they work better than anything and everything that Microsoft recommends (so far without exception for us). The problems lie in the fact that that work is an absolute necessity on the PS3, whereas they're not entirely necessary on any other platform."

Do you understand now?

Another statement from Sony here:

“Third parties have started to move from the de facto 360 SDK. Of course people designed their next-gen games on it because that was the only one there. The PS3 shipped and so they said, ‘let’s port our 360 games to the PS3.' But now companies are recognizing that ‘hey, if I start on the PS3 and then port down to the 360, my 360 game is going to look better than if I had just designed it for the 360.' So the pendulum is swinging. The heads of development thinking ‘what’s going to show off my next-gen game that much better?’ It is to lead with the PS3 and then to port to the 360.”

http://www.next-gen.biz/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=9429&Itemid=2&limit=1&limitstart=1 

PS3 vs 360 sales