By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - PS3 vs. Xbox 360 ports - Microsoft's rebuttal

Lol, IGN rated CoD4 0.1 better on the PS3, but of course it is me thats blowing things out of proportion.

starcraft - Playing Games = FUN, Talking about Games = SERIOUS

Around the Network

And IGN's numbers are the be-all end-all of any discussion on the quality of games, right?

Tag (courtesy of fkusumot): "Please feel free -- nay, I encourage you -- to offer rebuttal."
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
My advice to fanboys: Brag about stuff that's true, not about stuff that's false. Predict stuff that's likely, not stuff that's unlikely. You will be happier, and we will be happier.

"Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not his own facts." - Sen. Pat Moynihan
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
The old smileys: ; - ) : - ) : - ( : - P : - D : - # ( c ) ( k ) ( y ) If anyone knows the shortcut for , let me know!
I have the most epic death scene ever in VGChartz Mafia.  Thanks WordsofWisdom! 

@ Starcraft

Of course, you make no mention of the delay in getting the game to the console, or the fact that Virtua Fighter 5, which saw a similar delay on the 360 ended up being the far superior version.

The extra time was worth it for Oblivion, Berthesda did a nice job considering it's difficult to port stuff over from the 360/Win32. I thought VF5 is about on par as expected apart from online play? (probably the 360 version is better than would otherwise have been the case as it result into cache friendly code and it's relatively easy to port the code from PS3 to other platforms) With regard to implementing online functionality it's easier to implement this for the 360, but the PS3 has more online potential due to providing more flexibility (requires more effort, but there's more potential as well).

Naughty Dog: "At Naughty Dog, we're pretty sure we should be able to see leaps between games on the PS3 that are even bigger than they were on the PS2."

PS3 vs 360 sales

PS3 is way too hard to program and requires more time and effort to make a decent port so developers cut corners and end result gamers suffer with getting a shoddy port.

Rock_on_2008 said:
PS3 is way too hard to program and requires more time and effort to make a decent port so developers cut corners and end result gamers suffer with getting a shoddy port.

The PS3 isn't that hard to program for, it's much more easier to code for than for the PS2. However most often porting 360 games to the PS3 is hard.

The best approach is developing for the PS3 first and then port the game to the 360, this will usually result in a better 360 version as well.

With regard to legacy game engines the major roadblock is mainly breaking up the engine to be suitable for running on the SPUs. Building a new engine from scratch isn't that hard, you can make all the right design decisions from the start and this won't hinder cross development to other platforms, actually this should make things more efficient and powerful for other systems as well.

Naughty Dog: "At Naughty Dog, we're pretty sure we should be able to see leaps between games on the PS3 that are even bigger than they were on the PS2."

PS3 vs 360 sales

Around the Network

@Mike

Reffering to a game that came out a year later and pointing some facts that are under question like resolution, is completely unreliable.
Anyway, the favt is that equally performing multiplats as CoD4 and Burnout, are called superior on PS3 cause people were used to CRAP ports. AC superior on PS3???
LLLOOOLLL. You haven't seen this game on 360, admit it. No frame rate issues, no freezing and clear picture as hell

Mike, why Bethesda's next project, FALLOUT is developed in 360?

epinefridis said:
@Mike

Reffering to a game that came out a year later and pointing some facts that are under question like resolution, is completely unreliable.
Anyway, the favt is that equally performing multiplats as CoD4 and Burnout, are called superior on PS3 cause people were used to CRAP ports. AC superior on PS3???
LLLOOOLLL. You haven't seen this game on 360, admit it. No frame rate issues, no freezing and clear picture as hell

Mike, why Bethesda's next project, FALLOUT is developed in 360?

What kind of fanboy rant was that? Where did I say AC is superior on either platform? I was only referrred to Oblivion as a game which is clearly and undoubtable superior on the PS3.

IMO exclusives is where the PS3 shines and will start to show what the additional tech residing inside the PS3 is worth (many devs will make it their effort to make cross platform games as similar as possible). IMO 2008 will be a good year to judge which platform is more powerful, judging 360 exclusives like Gears 2 with PS3 exclusives like Killzone 2 and Resistance 2 from a technical perspective. However the 360 had a year headstart and devs are running into system bottlenecks, while the PS3 development still offers enormous headroom for longterm improvements (untapped Cell potential and Blu-Ray capacity).

PS3 vs 360 sales

Nice and thought out....but Achievements and Gamerscore really aren't much of a reason for the 360 versions being much better. DMC4 looks the same on both versions. As well as Assassin's Creed, I tested it out myself instead of relying on a comparison video and they both look exactly the same save for frame rates. Not to mention Burnout: Paradise was built on PS3 hardware, so the PS3 version looks better.

The trend where the 360 version of the game looks better due to half-assed ports is starting to fade away as developers get used to the hardware of the PS3. Oblivion, COD4, it's all changing lately.

PSN: Lone_Canis_Lupus

MikeB said:
Rock_on_2008 said:

The PS3 isn't that hard to program for, it's much more easier to code for than for the PS2. However most often porting 360 games to the PS3 is hard.

The best approach is developing for the PS3 first and then port the game to the 360, this will usually result in a better 360 version as well.

With regard to legacy game engines the major roadblock is mainly breaking up the engine to be suitable for running on the SPUs. Building a new engine from scratch isn't that hard, you can make all the right design decisions from the start and this won't hinder cross development to other platforms, actually this should make things more efficient and powerful for other systems as well.

I've been programming for 27 years and I've *never* seen a situation where developing software for one platform then porting it to another results in a better user experience from the ported version as opposed to developing directly on the latter platform.  How is this possible?

crumas2 said:
MikeB said:

I've been programming for 27 years and I've *never* seen a situation where developing software for one platform then porting it to another results in a better user experience from the ported version as opposed to developing directly on the latter platform. How is this possible?

Yeah, I don't really get that either. If you make a 360 game, and have it optimized for the 360, I don't see how a port from a ps3 version will be better. A 360 port may be better quality than a ps3 port, but a lead 360 cannot be worse than a 360 port.