By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - When's the Xbox One gonna overtake the PS4 in the US?

Tagged games:

When will the Xbone overtake the PS4 in the U.S.?

Late 2014 32 2.87%

1st half of 2015 51 4.57%

2nd half of 2015 92 8.25%

1st half of 2016 22 1.97%

2nd half of 2016 12 1.08%

2017 6 0.54%

2018 and beyond 10 0.90%

Never 794 71.21%

See results 95 8.52%

Total:1,114

Wow, a Black Friday price cut finally puts the XBO above the PS4 in the states after several months and people immediately think it'll stay that way forever. No, it's not going to happen. Even if the price cut stays.

Around the Network
steverhcp02 said:

This is your (and everyone who is still grasping) problem. Youre completely ignoring the tidal wave shift of the last 12 months and still pointing back to an age where the PS3 kicked itself in the crotch for 5 years. We have a solid 10-12 months of data that shows of current generation figures and trends to go by but get ignored. 

Destiny, and a bundle, albeit white, for $10 off the price of the game and console managed to outsell the One by over 200,000 units in september witht he same software available, while a 50$ price advantage with free games for an entire month versus a single weekend of a bundle for $50 more of the PS4 saw similar results and the ONE had a white bundle available as well if we want to over emphasis teh cosmetic nature f the destiny bump. Keep in mind this is during the biggest shopping season of the year versus Spetember. Perspective.

We don´t know if it was 200K, but it could have been, the same way November could be a 200K lead for the XOne.

There is no "tidal force" anywhere, keep the hyperboles at there place. If anything other than the price advantage that influenced the early PS4 lead was the hardcore gamers delusion that Microsoft was a evil company trying to block the ownership of their games with a terrible, buggy and slugsh hardware, with no apeal to quality that Sony has...

Well, preaty much of this is gone now.

By Fall 2015 XB1 will overtake ps4 in the US. Price is a great reason why ps4 is ahead, now XB1 is cheaper and is assumed to be selling better than the ps4.

/Titanfall/Sunset Overdrive/      Halo will finally allow Xb1 to overtake Ps4 and hold the lead in US 5ever. Even tho xbox has never really had a lead in the US. Be it the first xbox or xbox 360 it's not accurate to say they really had the US. Take the life time sales aligned ps3 beat 360 every month until it gradually took a 1mil+ lead and held it since.. :/ 

http://www.youtube.com/v/AoOOpLpcF28 http://www.youtube.com/v/CphFZGH5030

All Hail the Jester King. The King is back, and I am still a dirty girl prof ;)

Giggs_11 said:
steverhcp02 said:
So much wrong with this thread and the OP assumptions. Think about this. Sony has not touched the PS4's price. In fact I believe they actually raised it at one point in Canada but I can't recall if it was a single store chain or not. So you have MSFT, in 12 months coming out with a separate SKU at $100 less entry, then cutting another $50 in a "temporary" price cut and bundling 1-2 free games on top of this. Keep in mind Sony has not yet even touched the price.

Price cuts are pendulums. The assumptions that A) Price gap will forever remain B) MSFT will be willing to bundle free games forever at $350 and C) When the PS4 has its first price drop it wont dwarf the ground MSFT gained with the aforementioned pricing strategy (hint, it will) is asinine.

It is always fascinating to me how narrow people's visions are. It is literally the last week in history, like a snapshot, with no recollection or reference to past events and then extrapolating the narrow vision forward not accounting for anything but the unsustainable best case scenario of said snapshot.

I really don't think people fully understand how significant the price of the console going from $500 to $350 with 1-2 free games, two marquee games, no less, in less than a year is and to only gain a couple hundred thousand units when your competitor did arguably NOTHING. As always, the peaks and valleys of knee jerk reactions triumph on this site. Someone save this post and lets talk in 8 months, but then again I am not sure if most will have the attention span given the recent sales discussion in light of the unprecedented and lopsided strategies of the last month.

I don't fully agree with what you said.

1) Sony never touched PS4's price? Does it cost as much as it did when it came out 1 year ago? And also with no games?

2) X1 didn't go from 500$ to 350$ only from price cuts. 100$ out of those 150$, if I recall correctly, are due to kinnect not being bundled. In my book that ain't a price cut.

3) Also, X1 without Kinnect is a weaker PS4 in terms of hardware, am I right? So, and I'm talking without profund knowledge on the matter, but wouldn't that mean X1 as more room for manoeuvre to lower X1s price? Just raising the question.

Having said that I agree that people are extrapolating1-2 months of sales not considering other 12 months of sales and that makes no sense. I don't see X1 ever overtaking the PS4 in the US or anywhere else. But stranger things have happened...

I never termed the $100 drop a cut but a change in entry point which it was. I agree removing stuff from the box and adjusting price should not on its face be a price cut but a change in entry price which is exactly what I said. Say the "price of the console" drops is accurate and true because at launch someone who wanted a One had to pay $500 whereas now someone can pay $350 if they want one.

Around the Network

If it ever does it will be no sooner than Holiday 2015. It also depends on whether MS were being honest with the price drop. If it goes back up to $399 in January then I don't think it'll ever outsell the PS4. The PS4 will simply outsell the Xbox One by significantly more in the first 10 months of the year than the Xbox can ever hope to make up during the holidays.

Bet with Adamblaziken:

I bet that on launch the Nintendo Switch will have no built in in-game voice chat. He bets that it will. The winner gets six months of avatar control over the other user.

steverhcp02 said:

I never termed the $100 drop a cut but a change in entry point which it was. I agree removing stuff from the box and adjusting price should not on its face be a price cut but a change in entry price which is exactly what I said. Say the "price of the console" drops is accurate and true because at launch someone who wanted a One had to pay $500 whereas now someone can pay $350 if they want one.

You say that as if there is a difference between the two. A lowering in the entry price is by definition a price cut..

http://www.youtube.com/v/AoOOpLpcF28 http://www.youtube.com/v/CphFZGH5030

All Hail the Jester King. The King is back, and I am still a dirty girl prof ;)

Dark_Feanor said:
steverhcp02 said:

This is your (and everyone who is still grasping) problem. Youre completely ignoring the tidal wave shift of the last 12 months and still pointing back to an age where the PS3 kicked itself in the crotch for 5 years. We have a solid 10-12 months of data that shows of current generation figures and trends to go by but get ignored. 

Destiny, and a bundle, albeit white, for $10 off the price of the game and console managed to outsell the One by over 200,000 units in september witht he same software available, while a 50$ price advantage with free games for an entire month versus a single weekend of a bundle for $50 more of the PS4 saw similar results and the ONE had a white bundle available as well if we want to over emphasis teh cosmetic nature f the destiny bump. Keep in mind this is during the biggest shopping season of the year versus Spetember. Perspective.

We don´t know if it was 200K, but it could have been, the same way November could be a 200K lead for the XOne.

There is no "tidal force" anywhere, keep the hyperboles at there place. If anything other than the price advantage that influenced the early PS4 lead was the hardcore gamers delusion that Microsoft was a evil company trying to block the ownership of their games with a terrible, buggy and slugsh hardware, with no apeal to quality that Sony has...

Well, preaty much of this is gone now.

First. If you are going to quote a phrase get the phrase correct. I said tidal wave, not force. Secondly, hyperbole is a statement of exaggeration meant to be taken as a fact or literally. Unless you truly felt I meant the change in this generation is literally water contained in a huge wave generally cause by shifting plates in the ocean. What youre looking for is a metaphor which compares two things in nature or scope without drawing literal comparisons.

At the first bold either we use VGC numbers or we dont. So lets decide what numbers we will use to discuss sales because if not there is no point in disucssing them unless we want to talk in generalities. this entire thread is based on VGC data thus inherantly assumes we use those figures when debating. 

At the second bold. that is hyperbole. Nice work. I am sure you were just trying to teach me a lesson though. Right? Right.

Nicklesbe said:
steverhcp02 said:

You say that as if there is a difference between the two. A lowering in the entry price is by definition a price cut..

Some argue that but I disagree. The product someone is buying is different. To me, if youre cutting the price the contents should remain the same otherwise it is a seperate product. 

I don't see why it will.