By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Street Fighter 5 was a necessity, not a win.

Smash Bros isn't a game to appeal to the fighting game crowd. It isn't remotely similar to fighting franchises. I don't see the guy who plays KoF wanting to play SB. And Killer Instinct isn't a big franchise.

They won't stay relevant, they will be the number 1 with fighting crowd. Serious fighting game fans want Tekken, Street Fighter, KoF, DOA, maybe MK and some others (mostly Japanese games and a lot are PS exclusive).

Around the Network
torok said:
Smash Bros isn't a game to appeal to the fighting game crowd. It isn't remotely similar to fighting franchises. I don't see the guy who plays KoF wanting to play SB. And Killer Instinct isn't a big franchise.

They won't stay relevant, they will be the number 1 with fighting crowd. Serious fighting game fans want Tekken, Street Fighter, KoF, DOA, maybe MK and some others (mostly Japanese games and a lot are PS exclusive).

Are you joking, Smash is big in the fighting game scene, and im sure the latest one will be no different. 

The Fury said:

I'll hear none of it (I know you are right as relaunch of SF in the new style was so successful it was a little silly, it accounts for near 20% of all SF sales).

Yet surely then Tekken being more Playstation aligned means Tekken was the franchise Sony needed to go for not SF. 

Tekken was one of the best selling franchises on the Playstation until Tekken 4 came out and no one gave a damn anymore. Street Fighterright now is the king and the FGC has to follow suit because of it. Killer Instinct is gaining popularity but the game isnt even complete and SF is coming more than likely in the 2016 region. By then MS should already be finished (or almost finished) with season 3. Ontop of that Sony has  Guity Gear exclusively on the PS4. There are also rumors that they are bringing back Bloody Roar.

Xenostar said:

Are you joking, Smash is big in the fighting game scene, and im sure the latest one will be no different. 

Its  a brawler, not a fighting game. Its made primarily for pick up and play competitive fun and it doesn't have even moderate mechanics. Mastering it like many of Nintendos games takes time though. Any legitimate fighting game has much more depth than Smash. Even the creator of Smash doesn't consider it a fighting game. Smash comes to the FGC because there is a community of competitive gamers behind it whom have mastered the game in its own unique essence.

Add Phantom Dust to Xbox and that will be two 1st party fighting games on Xbox One.

Around the Network

Tekken, Smash, KI, MK.....meh. Street Fighter is the king of fighters (pun intended) and if anybody says else wise then just go watch EVO.

It was never a necessity but its definitely a clear winner (for fighting games).

street fighter is fun,but I suck at it. I generally suck at most fighting games. Not fast enough with those crazy combo's.

Vasto said:
Add Phantom Dust to Xbox and that will be two 1st party fighting games on Xbox One.

PS3 has Killzone and Resistance. Did that prime the PS3 as the platform for FPS fans?

I'm sure Killer Instinct is fun but its time to accept that it's not exactly the most popular or relevant fighting game franchise. 

Sigs are dumb. And so are you!

S.T.A.G.E. said:

Tekken was one of the best selling franchises on the Playstation until Tekken 4 came out and no one gave a damn anymore. Street Fighterright now is the king and the FGC has to follow suit because of it. Killer Instinct is gaining popularity but the game isnt even complete and SF is coming more than likely in the 2016 region. By then MS should already be finished (or almost finished) with season 3. Ontop of that Sony has  Guity Gear exclusively on the PS4. There are also rumors that they are bringing back Bloody Roar.

No one gave a damn yet Tekken 4 still sold over 3.5 million copies and since then the games have sold more each entry since (okay so there have only been 2 but still). The dedicated fanbase is still there and ready to spend their money on what is consider the best 3D fighter available, SoulCalibur from 4 to 5 had a huge drop is sales and unless they change something.

KI isn't in the league of SF or Tekken but I don't know where it fits, without sales numbers we just won't know. Could it be Blazblue niche or Mortal Kombat popularity? Bloody Roar is Konami's and Hudson no longer exist, whoever makes that has to do well with it. That is a risk however. I'd love Capcom to start working on some of their older fighting franchises again but if they had to ask for financial backing to get SF5 going, they will never do another Star Gladiator or Rival Schools.

Hmm, pie.

I say it's not a big deal because people only seem like they cared for 3 days and went right back to talking about Tomb Raider.

Plus by the time this comes out Killer Instinct will be on season 4 or 5.