By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Street Fighter 5 was a necessity, not a win.

They coulda bought out Bleach, and tried to increase its popularity in the west. But that would have required actual work.

“The fundamental cause of the trouble is that in the modern world the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt.” - Bertrand Russell

"When the power of love overcomes the love of power, the world will know peace."

Jimi Hendrix

Around the Network

Not that much.... but I see that Capcom must be in some intrincate/delicate financial issues to accept Sony´s money for the exclusivity

The only thing that makes me look at SFV with a certain degree of uncertainty is that the trailer has exactely the same art style of SFIV, so even with the upgraded visuals if feels more like a SFIV.5 for me than a completely new game. I really hope I´m wrong.

Yoshida : We will make SFV a console exclusive

Boyes : Yoshida, It' impossible !

Yoshida : No... Its necessary

https://www.google.fr/url?sa=t&source=web&rct=j&ei=ZyeIVI7mI8mAU7KHgZgM&url=http://m.youtube.com/watch%3Fv%3DbYa5luHb2DA&ved=0CD0QtwIwDA&usg=AFQjCNFOdiYD56cPl72tDcoNmQbwFXHCKQ&sig2=8jLd0dFl7P7DEnA2bfZIVA

Predictions for end of 2014 HW sales:

PS4: 17m   XB1: 10m    WiiU: 10m   Vita: 10m

Well if Sony felt they needed a great fighting exclusive SF certainly accomplishes that.

I'm a SF fan, but Killer Instinct is amongst the greatest fighting games ever so that softens the blow.

Recently Completed
River City: Rival Showdown
for 3DS (3/5) - River City: Tokyo Rumble for 3DS (4/5) - Zelda: BotW for Wii U (5/5) - Zelda: BotW for Switch (5/5) - Zelda: Link's Awakening for Switch (4/5) - Rage 2 for X1X (4/5) - Rage for 360 (3/5) - Streets of Rage 4 for X1/PC (4/5) - Gears 5 for X1X (5/5) - Mortal Kombat 11 for X1X (5/5) - Doom 64 for N64 (emulator) (3/5) - Crackdown 3 for X1S/X1X (4/5) - Infinity Blade III - for iPad 4 (3/5) - Infinity Blade II - for iPad 4 (4/5) - Infinity Blade - for iPad 4 (4/5) - Wolfenstein: The Old Blood for X1 (3/5) - Assassin's Creed: Origins for X1 (3/5) - Uncharted: Lost Legacy for PS4 (4/5) - EA UFC 3 for X1 (4/5) - Doom for X1 (4/5) - Titanfall 2 for X1 (4/5) - Super Mario 3D World for Wii U (4/5) - South Park: The Stick of Truth for X1 BC (4/5) - Call of Duty: WWII for X1 (4/5) -Wolfenstein II for X1 - (4/5) - Dead or Alive: Dimensions for 3DS (4/5) - Marvel vs Capcom: Infinite for X1 (3/5) - Halo Wars 2 for X1/PC (4/5) - Halo Wars: DE for X1 (4/5) - Tekken 7 for X1 (4/5) - Injustice 2 for X1 (4/5) - Yakuza 5 for PS3 (3/5) - Battlefield 1 (Campaign) for X1 (3/5) - Assassin's Creed: Syndicate for X1 (4/5) - Call of Duty: Infinite Warfare for X1 (4/5) - Call of Duty: MW Remastered for X1 (4/5) - Donkey Kong Country Returns for 3DS (4/5) - Forza Horizon 3 for X1 (5/5)

No it's not, but it's just a move to tackle Xbox money hating monopoly in Industry.

Around the Network
The Fury said:

I'll hear none of it (I know you are right as relaunch of SF in the new style was so successful it was a little silly, it accounts for near 20% of all SF sales).

Yet surely then Tekken being more Playstation aligned means Tekken was the franchise Sony needed to go for not SF. 

Here's the thing...

Street Fighter has more hardware moving potential than a Tekken game. Also, SF is more desired by Xbox fans than Tekken. So SF was more desired by Sony.

Recently Completed
River City: Rival Showdown
for 3DS (3/5) - River City: Tokyo Rumble for 3DS (4/5) - Zelda: BotW for Wii U (5/5) - Zelda: BotW for Switch (5/5) - Zelda: Link's Awakening for Switch (4/5) - Rage 2 for X1X (4/5) - Rage for 360 (3/5) - Streets of Rage 4 for X1/PC (4/5) - Gears 5 for X1X (5/5) - Mortal Kombat 11 for X1X (5/5) - Doom 64 for N64 (emulator) (3/5) - Crackdown 3 for X1S/X1X (4/5) - Infinity Blade III - for iPad 4 (3/5) - Infinity Blade II - for iPad 4 (4/5) - Infinity Blade - for iPad 4 (4/5) - Wolfenstein: The Old Blood for X1 (3/5) - Assassin's Creed: Origins for X1 (3/5) - Uncharted: Lost Legacy for PS4 (4/5) - EA UFC 3 for X1 (4/5) - Doom for X1 (4/5) - Titanfall 2 for X1 (4/5) - Super Mario 3D World for Wii U (4/5) - South Park: The Stick of Truth for X1 BC (4/5) - Call of Duty: WWII for X1 (4/5) -Wolfenstein II for X1 - (4/5) - Dead or Alive: Dimensions for 3DS (4/5) - Marvel vs Capcom: Infinite for X1 (3/5) - Halo Wars 2 for X1/PC (4/5) - Halo Wars: DE for X1 (4/5) - Tekken 7 for X1 (4/5) - Injustice 2 for X1 (4/5) - Yakuza 5 for PS3 (3/5) - Battlefield 1 (Campaign) for X1 (3/5) - Assassin's Creed: Syndicate for X1 (4/5) - Call of Duty: Infinite Warfare for X1 (4/5) - Call of Duty: MW Remastered for X1 (4/5) - Donkey Kong Country Returns for 3DS (4/5) - Forza Horizon 3 for X1 (5/5)

kupomogli said:
Zackasaurus-rex said:

Tekken was bigger years back, but Street Fighter is much bigger today. Plus, Tekken is strongly PlayStation-aligned anyway. It may be exclusive. But, if it's not, it will still sell immensely more on the platform based on previous fan alignments. 

Tekken was only bigger because the casual fighting game fans got burnt out by the constant milking of the franchise.  Street Fighter 4 came along after the series has been pretty much dead for so long, only for Capcom to once again milk the franchise to death. 

When Street Fighter 5 releases on PS4, it'll sell worse than the PS3 version of Street Fighter 4.

I think its weird that you think the only reason tekken became as big as it was was because SF was being milked and buyers were getting tired of it.

Then again, whenever I see or find people making vcertain kinda comparisons between Sf and Tekken it makes me think those people don't really know what they are talking about. For one simple reason, the only thing tekken and SF have in common is that they are both fighting games. They are both so different that gamers that like one usually, mostly dislike the other. At their very core they have a completely different gameplay language that really doesn't mix.

You are right though that SF tends to get milked to infinity and back. I have no idea why capcom does that, sometime sthey even make 2 versions of SF in the same year.

Sony has sold more than 11 million PS4 in one year, and it will probably reach 50% of the market before the year ends. Why would Sony need SFV exclusivity so badly?

You know it deserves the GOTY.

Come join The 2018 Obscure Game Monthly Review Thread.

Meh, looking forward to Mortal Kombat much more anyways at this point. Im still in ultra master remix voodoo whoodoo youdeeyou ultimate street fighter 4 fatigue.

Is everyone here forgetting how huge Tekken 3 was when it came out?