By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - Sonys american Reign has ended.

I think people are overlooking the real story here.

Despite the fact that the PS3 is in "last place" this week, it isn't by much, and it's still 200% up over this time last year in America. That means it's selling 3x as well. Even the most liberal of predictions for the PS3 this year had sales doubling or so, so tripling is absolutely phenomenal. 

The "who's winning?" argument misses the point here. Yes, the PS3 seems to have lost the console war this particular week, but this still represents a dramatic, even profound increase in PS3 sales.  

http://i14.photobucket.com/albums/a324/Arkives/Disccopy.jpg%5B/IMG%5D">http://i14.photobucket.com/albums/a324/Arkives/Disccopy.jpg%5B/IMG%5D">

Around the Network
Torillian said:
I disagree on one point Zen....I don't think you have to hurt from the numbers if you're a Sony Fanboy. Sure if you want the console to win it all this gen then that makes sense, but personally I just want good games to come out, and my console to do better. Both of those seem to be happening. Simply because it lost in NA doesn't mean we should cry about it, just be happy that the PS3 is doing better, even if it isn't no. 1.

You support the PS3 right?  Isn't it coming dead last?

starcraft - Playing Games = FUN, Talking about Games = SERIOUS

Gnizmo said:
darthdevidem01 said:
@coolestguyever

no he was talking about the 360

we tend to not include wii between PS3 vs 360 anymore cus everyone knows they will be thrashed...

No I was talking about the Wii. The PS3 has had an amazing turn around and is doing far better than I expected at this point and I don't mean to diminish that at all. I think this thread being created in the Sony forums is sad and childish. It shows a remarkable level of fanboyism and concern over whether the pony the OP backed will win or not. In a similar breath I will condemn those that try and overstate the achievement. Selling at these levels is good enough without having to resort to over looking competition to brag. It is a shame that people cannot see this amazing accomplishment for what it is and feel the need to cheapen it with over the top, blatantly false claims.

I think the OP is a nintendo fan...

ZenfoldorVGI said:
@Sonyfanboys

Your grasping for numbers like they are going to elude you. If you don't think the PS3 is up for the long haul, then admit it.

Touting victory over supply constrained consoles is gonna lead to your inevitable horrible flaming when these little issues are ironed out.

Personally, I would stay the course. The only two sony fanboys worth their f'n salt are Crazzy and DMeisterJ, at least they admit it hurts when they lose a week instead of explaining it away with numbers gone by, and hoping for supply contraints to help their console.

Those two truely believe the PS3 can win, with no gimmicks, in a real, fair competition, eventually. If you wanna support your system, shouldn't you at least pretend that you believe that, instead of instantly creating damage control?

or... here's another theory, That they are the only two who CARE about Sony's sales number enough to 'hurt'?

Frankly, I see most PS3 owners here really could care less if PS3 gets outsold by 10K or so in US. What we care about is constant good games on the console. Sales number is nothing more than a nice bragging rights. There's no sense getting hurt from it.

And honestly, if I were to listen to Microsoft PR all the time, I'd still think RRoD is at about 3%.

Soriku (Feb 10/08): In 5 years the PS3/360 will be dead.

KH3 bet: "If KH3 comes to Wii exclusive, I will take a 1 month of sig/avatar by otheres open a thread apologize and praise you guys' brilliance." http://vgchartz.com/forum/thread.php?start=50&id=18379
Original cast: Badonkadonkhr, sc94597 allaboutthegames885, kingofwale, Soriku, ctk495, skeezer, RDBRaptor, Mirson,

Episode 1: OOPSY!
selnor
: Too Human I even expect 3-4 mill entire life and 500,000 first day. GoW2 ( expect 7 - 9 million entire life and over 2 mill first day), Fable 2 (expect 5-6 million entire life and 1.5 mill fist day) BK3 (expect 4 - 5 mill sales entire life and 1 mill first day).. Tales/IU/TLR should get to 2 or 3 million! post id: 868878
Episode 2:
Letsdance: FFXIII (PS3+360) first week in NA = 286K
According to pre-order rate in week 13 (post id: 2902544)

Come on guys. All three systems are selling in great numbers. Can't we all just be happy as gamers that the industry is looking very robust this year?

Around the Network

Here's a simple, hypothetical example to illucidate my point.

If the PS3 was outsold by the Wii 30k to 110k last year, and then was outsold 90k to 120k this year, who won? The Wii still sold more, and the Wii sold more this year than it did last year, but honestly, mocking the PS3 for tripling its weekly sales would be silly.  

http://i14.photobucket.com/albums/a324/Arkives/Disccopy.jpg%5B/IMG%5D">http://i14.photobucket.com/albums/a324/Arkives/Disccopy.jpg%5B/IMG%5D">

kingofwale said:
ZenfoldorVGI said:
@Sonyfanboys

Your grasping for numbers like they are going to elude you. If you don't think the PS3 is up for the long haul, then admit it.

Touting victory over supply constrained consoles is gonna lead to your inevitable horrible flaming when these little issues are ironed out.

Personally, I would stay the course. The only two sony fanboys worth their f'n salt are Crazzy and DMeisterJ, at least they admit it hurts when they lose a week instead of explaining it away with numbers gone by, and hoping for supply contraints to help their console.

Those two truely believe the PS3 can win, with no gimmicks, in a real, fair competition, eventually. If you wanna support your system, shouldn't you at least pretend that you believe that, instead of instantly creating damage control?

or... here's another theory, That they are the only two who CARE about Sony's sales number enough to 'hurt'?

Frankly, I see most PS3 owners here really could care less if PS3 gets outsold by 10K or so in US. What we care about is consist good games on the console. Sales number is nothing more than a nice bragging rights. There's no sense getting hurt from it.

And honestly, if I were to listen to Microsoft PR all the time, I'd still think RRoD is at about 3%.

I actually don't see what he is talking about with DMeisterJ. I think DM is more a crowd control guy. People try to rip the Ps3 and I think he is the guy that steps in and say "guy you need to look at these facts more"

starcraft said:
Torillian said:
I disagree on one point Zen....I don't think you have to hurt from the numbers if you're a Sony Fanboy. Sure if you want the console to win it all this gen then that makes sense, but personally I just want good games to come out, and my console to do better. Both of those seem to be happening. Simply because it lost in NA doesn't mean we should cry about it, just be happy that the PS3 is doing better, even if it isn't no. 1.

You support the PS3 right? Isn't it coming dead last?

But the console itself is selling better than it was before, that is what I mean.  I am happy for 360 doing better than it was last week just as I am happy that PS3 sold more this week.  And Wii I have no idea what it will do week to week so I'm kind of indifferent I guess.

360 will come in last place due to PS3 as a Blu Ray player sales. 360 may have overall better Software sales, but thats the best they can hope for.

Getting an XBOX One for me is like being in a bad relationship but staying together because we have kids. XBone we have 20000+ achievement points, 2+ years of XBL Gold and 20000+ MS points. I think its best we stay together if only for the MS points.

Nintendo Treehouse is what happens when a publisher is confident and proud of its games and doesn't need to show CGI lies for five minutes.

-Jim Sterling

i'm confused. why is there a topic about the ps3 falling out of first place in america which lasted two weeks only because of the combination of very very limited wii supply and perhaps slighly lower 360 sales, and blu-ray's victory pushing ps3 sales for a bit. although while i'm not at all surprised ps3 went back to 3rd where it belongs i am surprised 360 hit over a hundred thousand this week in america. thats bigtime an hd console.

end of '08 predictions: wii - 43 million,  360 - 25 million, ps3 - 20 million

Games I've beat recently: Super Mario Galaxy, Knights of the Old Republic, Shadow of the Collossus

Proud owner of wii, gamecube, xbox, ps2, dreamcast, n64, snes, genesis, 3DO, nes, atari, intellivision, unisonic tournament 2000, and gameboy