By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Can Mario ever be cool again?

NintendoPie said:
super_etecoon said:

It's always been cool to hate on Mario. Those that have been fans have been fans despite people always claiming he was for kids. Even during the Nintendo vs Sega years Mario was made fun of. Nintendo fans have weathered the ridicule for as long as gaming has existed. In retrospect he's been looked upon fondly...but you never went to school with a Mario shirt and thought people were going to say "now that's a cool dude!"

So that must be why the Mario franchise is the best selling of all time. 

There is a difference in sales and image. If you're a 16 year old kid living in the US, and you want to be the "cool" kid at school, you don't stand up in front of a bunch of fellow "cool" kid dude bros and say that Mario is better than COD. You'll just get slaughted.

Around the Network
prayformojo said:

There is a difference in sales and image. If you're a 16 year old kid living in the US, and you want to be the "cool" kid at school, you don't stand up in front of a bunch of fellow "cool" kid dude bros and say that Mario is better than COD. You'll just get slaughted.

I'm a 16 year old living in the US that regularly attends High School and I can say that pretty much everyone would be down for some Mario Kart. 

If you go to school wearing Mario gear you would be laughed at, but you would be laughed at if you wore any type of videogame merchandise.

Soundwave said:

HBninjaX said:
Mario will always be cool among the oldschool

he's only uncool to the poor lost souls that didn't grow up during the golden age of gaming.

These girls grew up in the "golden age" of gaming? I'd rather hang out with them than the sweaty 300 pound unshaven guy camping out for Destiny while complaining about the last Hobbit movie or the dorky 14-year-old boys clamouring for "Calladooty" that their mom has to buy for them.  

If Nintendo put Mario on the iOS shop it would instantly probably be the no.1 download on the app store. Does anyone doubt that? Mario does suffer with insecure 12-19 year old "boys" who think they're cool by liking "dudebros" games until they get to college and realize getting laid is more important than playing video games. And then they get older and realize they had a lot of fun with Mario in their youth and that's "cool" again in their mid/late-20s. 

Women love Mario. Pretty much across the board. 

Whore-aween chicks are outliers

Mario does suffer with insecure 12-19 year old "boys" who think they're cool by liking "dudebros" games until they get to college and realize getting laid is more important than playing video games.

exactly

Baalzamon said:
Busted said:
It is not Mario that has changed, its us

Totally this.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LV0wTtiJygY

NintendoPie said:
prayformojo said:

I'm a 16 year old living in the US that regularly attends High School and I can say that pretty much everyone would be down for some Mario Kart. 

If you go to school wearing Mario gear you would be laughed at, but you would be laughed at if you wore any type of videogame merchandise.

There's a ton of Mario t-shirts made for adults, I don't think you'd get laughed at for wearing this:

Depends on who wears it I guess, but these shirts are made for adults. I see hipsters wearing stuff like this all the time. 

Around the Network
HBninjaX said:
Soundwave said:

HBninjaX said:
Mario will always be cool among the oldschool

he's only uncool to the poor lost souls that didn't grow up during the golden age of gaming.

These girls grew up in the "golden age" of gaming? I'd rather hang out with them than the sweaty 300 pound unshaven guy camping out for Destiny while complaining about the last Hobbit movie or the dorky 14-year-old boys clamouring for "Calladooty" that their mom has to buy for them.  

If Nintendo put Mario on the iOS shop it would instantly probably be the no.1 download on the app store. Does anyone doubt that? Mario does suffer with insecure 12-19 year old "boys" who think they're cool by liking "dudebros" games until they get to college and realize getting laid is more important than playing video games. And then they get older and realize they had a lot of fun with Mario in their youth and that's "cool" again in their mid/late-20s. 

Women love Mario. Pretty much across the board. 

Whore-aween chicks are outliers

Mario does suffer with insecure 12-19 year old "boys" who think they're cool by liking "dudebros" games until they get to college and realize getting laid is more important than playing video games.

exactly

Not really. Women in general love Mario. I used to have a Mario ring tone on my phone and girls would always comment on it when they heard it "ohmygawd, I played that all the time, I love Mario! I could kick your ass at Mario Kart!" blahblahblah. I basically picked up a hot  girl at a Starbucks basically because of that one time, lol, she started up the conversation based on my ringtone ... thanks Mario. Nintendo's problem here is that they can't get this crowd to buy a Wii U/3DS, because of the iPhone launched so they're kinda at an impasse. 

You can go to a college frat/Halloween party ... you won't see girls dressed up as Halo characters or Call of Duty or Uncharted (lol) characters or something because that's dorky to them. 

NintendoPie said:
prayformojo said:

I guess times have changed. Either that or your school is odd. When I was in high school (94-98) your sexuality/maturity would have been questioned for admitting that you play MK or for that matter, any Nintendo game.

But I have question. If what you're saying is true, why is PS4/Xbone pretty much the only consoles more teenagers want to play? Wouldn't the Wii-U be the #1 console if what you were saying was true?

prayformojo said:
NintendoPie said:
prayformojo said:

I guess times have changed. Either that or your school is odd. When I was in high school (94-98) your sexuality/maturity would have been questioned for admitting that you play MK or for that matter, any Nintendo game.

But I have question. If what you're saying is true, why is PS4/Xbone pretty much the only consoles more teenagers want to play? Wouldn't the Wii-U be the #1 console if what you were saying was true?

What does what he said have to do with Wii U sales? He said most kids at his school would be down for some Mario Kart, which just means they  enjoy playing it, not that everybody at his school instantly runs out to buy a $300 console to play Mario Kart.

When the herd loses its way, the shepard must kill the bull that leads them astray.

When was Mario ever cool?

Masterpieces aren't supposed to be 'cool'.

zorg1000 said:
prayformojo said:
NintendoPie said:
prayformojo said:

What does what he said have to do with Wii U sales? He said most kids at his school would be down for some Mario Kart, which just means they  enjoy playing it, not that everybody at his school instantly runs out to buy a $300 console to play Mario Kart.

Usually, people buy consoles that feature the games they want to play. So one can decuce that obviously, the majority of teenagers don't, infact, want to play MK. I mean, I play MK. I own a Wii-U. But bringing it up at work with other guys? It's just...it's not possible. All I ever hear is "you getting on COD bro" and "I played Madden last night online against this guy...." 

I honestly don't believe the majorty of teenage boys would be caught dead playing it. I'm sure it's one of those things where the majorty of them actually DO like it, or would like it, but peer pressure at that age>you own wants or needs.