By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Can Mario ever be cool again?

OP - what's wrong with SMS? That is my favorite Mario game.

http://www.whoisjesus-really.com/

Wii U + PS4 

Consoles>Mobile

Around the Network
prayformojo said:
zorg1000 said:
prayformojo said:
NintendoPie said:
prayformojo said:

There is a difference in sales and image. If you're a 16 year old kid living in the US, and you want to be the "cool" kid at school, you don't stand up in front of a bunch of fellow "cool" kid dude bros and say that Mario is better than COD. You'll just get slaughted.

I'm a 16 year old living in the US that regularly attends High School and I can say that pretty much everyone would be down for some Mario Kart. 

If you go to school wearing Mario gear you would be laughed at, but you would be laughed at if you wore any type of videogame merchandise.

I guess times have changed. Either that or your school is odd. When I was in high school (94-98) your sexuality/maturity would have been questioned for admitting that you play MK or for that matter, any Nintendo game.

But I have question. If what you're saying is true, why is PS4/Xbone pretty much the only consoles more teenagers want to play? Wouldn't the Wii-U be the #1 console if what you were saying was true?

What does what he said have to do with Wii U sales? He said most kids at his school would be down for some Mario Kart, which just means they  enjoy playing it, not that everybody at his school instantly runs out to buy a $300 console to play Mario Kart.

Usually, people buy consoles that feature the games they want to play. So one can decuce that obviously, the majority of teenagers don't, infact, want to play MK. I mean, I play MK. I own a Wii-U. But bringing it up at work with other guys? It's just...it's not possible. All I ever hear is "you getting on COD bro" and "I played Madden last night online against this guy...." 

I honestly don't believe the majorty of teenage boys would be caught dead playing it. I'm sure it's one of those things where the majorty of them actually DO like it, or would like it, but peer pressure at that age>you own wants or needs.

There are a bunch of games that people enjoy but won't buy a $300-400 console specifically to play it. Being down with MK could simply mean playing it at a friends house who does own it.

And yes many teenage boys would be caught playing it, I was a teenager just a few short years ago, I was a bit of a jock/popular in high school and most of my friends did enjoy Mario Kart, it doesn't mean they always bought a console specifically to play it but they still enjoyed the game nonetheless.

When the herd loses its way, the shepard must kill the bull that leads them astray.

zorg1000 said:

There are a bunch of games that people enjoy but won't buy a $300-400 console specifically to play it. Being down with MK could simply mean playing it at a friends house who does own it.

And yes many teenage boys would be caught playing it, I was a teenager just a few short years ago, I was a bit of a jock/popular in high school and most of my friends did enjoy Mario Kart, it doesn't mean they always bought a console specifically to play it but they still enjoyed the game nonetheless.

Why would they not buy a Wii-U then? If teenagers love Nintendo games, why aren't they buying Nintendo consoles? I'm being serious here. I just don't get it.

"Ever" is a strong word.

i would take it one step further and ask when will Nintendo be cool again?

Around the Network

Mario is still the greatest video game franchise after all these years, he has never been cool, he is walking on much higher ground.

oniyide said:

Nintendo are the coolest kid on the block :P

zippy said:
oniyide said:

Nintendo are the coolest kid on the block :P

I think sales would argue otherwise

Nintendo was cool just a few years ago, we gonna act like the Wii/DS era some how was 20 years ago? C'mon. 

Apple just stole their thunder, who knows though with Nintendo they have a habit of coming up with something crazy out of nowhere that becomes big. 

prayformojo said:
zorg1000 said:

Why would they not buy a Wii-U then? If teenagers love Nintendo games, why aren't they buying Nintendo consoles? I'm being serious here. I just don't get it.

Nobody said anything about Nintendo games, our entire conversation is strickly about one single series, Mario Kart. For one, a single game is not enough for most people to spend $300 on a console. Also like I said they enjoy, that doesn't necessarily mean they are a huge fan of it, being able to play it casually every once in a while at a friend or family members house may be enough for them.

I'm sure there are plenty things u enjoy but that doesn't mean u are willing to spend a few hundred dollars for it. I'll give an example, a bit of an extreme example but it should get my point across. I enjoy eating toast for breakfast, I eat it at least 1-2 times a week. If toasters cost $300 would i buy one just to eat toast? No, not at all. If I was at a friend or family members house that had a toaster and offered me toast, would i accept? Hell yeah I would.

Just because somebody enjoys or likes something, it doesn't necessarily mean they will own it.

When the herd loses its way, the shepard must kill the bull that leads them astray.