By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Sony Cyber Attack Casts Microsoft In A Bad Light

Edited the thread title to be a bit more clear.

Around the Network
nanarchy said:

http://www.buzzfeed.com/tomgara/sony-hack
"The roughly 40GB of company information now available online sat on company servers without encryption, with a vast majority of the sensitive personal and financial files containing no password protection. Currently, the stolen data trove is available to download, potentially placing the information in the hands of any hacker, scammer, criminal, media organization, or curious citizen who knows their way around a torrent file."

I was just about to say there is no one to blame but the hackers and then I read this. Seems like Sony just made it a little too easy for them lol

To blame Windows is pretty dumb imo. Had Sony been using a majority of Macs, I'm sure the hackers would have found vulnerabilities there and found their way in. Damn near anything is hackable these days with the right skills. Also I wouldn't call Sony cheap for not using Apples products, a lot of big businesses use Windows not only because it's cheaper but it's what most people are used to and at times, possibly even in Sony's case, better suited for their needs.

Reaching. Windows is basically a monopoly in PC OS. What kinda company would be using a majority of macs anyways?

All of these blame articles keep trying to shift the focus away from Sony being incompetent with their security.

jlmurph2 said:
Reaching. Windows is basically a monopoly in PC OS. What kinda company would be using a majority of macs anyways?

All of these blame articles keep trying to shift the focus away from Sony being incompetent with their security.

i bet not even apple is using a majority of macs...

and why should the hackers touch apple? they wanted hard data and not someones  highschool art project...

Um, what?

You're Gonna Carry That Weight.

Xbox One - PS4 - Wii U - PC

Around the Network

Reaching, tis like blaming cars for accidents.

In this day and age, with the Internet, ignorance is a choice! And they're still choosing Ignorance! - Dr. Filthy Frank

TO be fair to both MSFT and SONY - if a state sponsored attack with all the resources, expertise and scope is made on a company, that company doesn't really stand much hope.

Ms should stop being cheap and invest those Billion in profits torwards making Windows system more resilient to hacks. A member teached me that if you throw enough money at it you can be hack safe.

duduspace11 "Well, since we are estimating costs, Pokemon Red/Blue did cost Nintendo about $50m to make back in 1996"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=8808363

Mr Puggsly: "Hehe, I said good profit. You said big profit. Frankly, not losing money is what I meant by good. Don't get hung up on semantics"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=9008994

Azzanation: "PS5 wouldn't sold out at launch without scalpers."

iTechHeads said:

http://wallstreetpr.com/sony-corp-adr-nysesne-cyber-attack-casts-microsoft-corporation-nasdaqmsft-in-a-bad-light-34439

Only Windows computers were compromised. Macs were left untouched.

So who do we blame here? Sony, the victim? The hackers? Or Microsoft?

I think the blame here lies with each of them. Sony for being cheap and buying Windows computers instead of Mac. The hackers for attacking Sony and Microsoft for having a vulnerable operating system.

Discuss.

Fuh dat! They shoulda gone Linux. 

Who to blame? The hackers and that's all. You blame the home owner or the lock maker when their house gets burgled? Every security system is hackable with enough time, skill and determination.

“The fundamental cause of the trouble is that in the modern world the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt.” - Bertrand Russell

"When the power of love overcomes the love of power, the world will know peace."

Jimi Hendrix

There are a lot of missing details. Were all Sony computers updated to the latest version of updates? Didn't they have a firewall which could be circumvented? When not, why not?
And let's not pretend that the huge amount of data stolen leads more to the fact that the security policies were close to non-existent in this case. There a lot of ways to secure and hide your data if you really want to.
Of course this is also partly an issue of Windows but if I am aware of this then if I'd be the person responsable for the network and company security (then you *have* to be aware of this) I would take appropriate counter-measures, especially for company-sensitive data.