By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Wii U successor 2017 or 2018?

Wii U successor 2017 or 2018

2017 142 41.76%

2018 142 41.76%

Later 56 16.47%

Total:340

It'll be announced in 2017, released in 2018.

Around the Network
Soundwave said:
zorg1000 said:
Soundwave said:
Fusion is the successor to both the 3DS and Wii U ... there won't be a "traditional" Wii U successor.

So whenever Fusion launches is when the next Nintendo generation begins and Iwata basically has already said that will be in 2016.

Yep, this is what I see

Jan/Feb 2016-Nintendo Direct announcing both Fusion platforms with launch windows of mid-2016 for handheld variant and holiday 2016 for console version. Probably have 1-2 trailers for games slated for launch.

June 2016-at E3 they will give final details such as price/release date/launch lineup for the handheld variant. I'm thinking maybe June for Japan and August for America/Europe. Expect lots of demos/trailers for games releasing thru spring of 2017.

Sept 2016-Nintendo Direct showing going into more detail of games releasing during the holidays and into spring. Release date/price finalized for console version, which is Nov for America/Europe and Dec for Japan.

I think they will show at next year's E3 to be honest, but probably only the handheld variant first and probably with very limited games shown (perhaps only tech demos). 

I agree though probably a late spring 2016 launch for the handheld variant. The home version could then be spaced into November 2016. 

Ya next E3 is definitely a possibility but I just think they should try giving New 3DS at least a little time in the spotlight and try not hurting holiday 2015 sales. Also we have seen from PS4/XB1 that it's not necessary to announce hardware 1-1.5 years before release.

When the herd loses its way, the shepard must kill the bull that leads them astray.

Soundwave said:

They can think whatever they want, Iwata thinks differently and only his (and the Nintendo board's) opinion matters. 

A lot of Nintendo fans were also in heavy denial over what the Wii would turn out to be, even after it was unveiled many were convinced it *had* to match the power of the PS3/360, they couldn't fathom a new Nintendo console being only slightly more powerful than the existing GameCube because Nintendo had never done anything like that before. 

Iwata has not only said they are going ahead with this concept he's even given his shareholders a release window (approx. spring 2016). 

Iwata doesn't think differently from the users I was telling you about because I said those users think this Fusion thing is real.

Also, do you have sources? I want to read these things because I don't remember them.

2016 if they were smart

It is near the end of the end....

Gonna go with 2017

Around the Network

Even 2016 doesn't seem impossible really.

Soundwave said:

Why do you guys keep thinking there is a separate platform here coming? Fusion is the successor to both the 3DS and Wii U.

I don't really understand why it's that hard to understand. Iwata has basically spelt it out in his investor meeting comments.

- They will make a devices that's akin to Apple's product line ... meaning several hardware variants that use one software ecosystem like iPad, iPhone, iPod Touch all have the same apps and even a similar chipset.

- Nintendo has even collapsed their handheld and console teams now into one singular entity, there is no longer any seperation, this should be a pretty strong tip-off of what's coming. 

- This will launch approximately two years from May 2014 (so May 2016-ish).

That's straight from Iwata. The age of completely distinct handhelds and consoles with different software libraries from Nintendo is over. A "new definition" is coming in 2016 ... and that's direct from Mr. Iwata speaking to his shareholders. You guys are still thinking in the old, traditional paradigm, but Nintendo is going in a different direction. 

1. Fusion is just a rumor. Nothing more; nothing less

2. The fusion rumor suggests two consoles; one handheld and one home console with similar architecture

3. It's a fucking rumor; from a unknown site

4. It's a fucking rumor

3. That "new definition" of entertainment is directly refering to Quality of life

http://www.nintendo.co.jp/ir/en/library/events/141030/05.html

Please stop with your BS

Soundwave said:

Why do you guys keep thinking there is a separate platform here coming? Fusion is the successor to both the 3DS and Wii U.

I don't really understand why it's that hard to understand. Iwata has basically spelt it out in his investor meeting comments.

- They will make a devices that's akin to Apple's product line ... meaning several hardware variants that use one software ecosystem like iPad, iPhone, iPod Touch all have the same apps and even a similar chipset.

- Nintendo has even collapsed their handheld and console teams now into one singular entity, there is no longer any seperation, this should be a pretty strong tip-off of what's coming. 

That's straight from Iwata. The age of completely distinct handhelds and consoles with different software libraries from Nintendo is over. A "new definition" is coming in 2016 ... and that's direct from Mr. Iwata speaking to his shareholders. You guys are still thinking in the old, traditional paradigm, but Nintendo is going in a different direction. 

just because you want that total rumour to happen, doesn't mean it's for granted. so stop treating it as such.

Soundwave said:

Hopefully, it is a rumor because its a terrible TERRIBLE idea.
-multiple hardware variants is the very antithesis of a console which is standardized across the board. The iDevices are essentially the same device in a different form factor, this works for necessities, not luxuries, especially in this day and age.

-combining handheld and console markets results in both being smaller overall

In this day and age, with the Internet, ignorance is a choice! And they're still choosing Ignorance! - Dr. Filthy Frank

Materia-Blade said:
Soundwave said:

just because you want that total rumour to happen, doesn't mean it's for granted. so stop treating it as such.

Iwata making direct comments to his shareholders are not a "total rumor". 

I would like a Playstation FIVE level console from Nintendo next time out, so this has nothing to do with what I personally want, because Nintendo is unlikely to go that route. 

Even Nintendo fans ... they come up with this concept of another Nintendo console ... that it would be like slightly better than a PS4. Well who in their right mind is going to be buy that other than the same 15 million Nintendo fans? By 2017/18, the PS4/X1 will be everywhere, no one will care about a Nintendo console that's just catching up to the PS4 then. And I don't think Nintendo has an interest in a PS5 level machine either, that's pissing match Nintendo doesn't care to get involved in. 

Fusion just makes a lot of sense. Nintendo has nowhere to go in the console business, making a home/portable variant that can play all their games and has a steady flow of games constantly is just their ticket out of that mess. 

A lot of people don't like it, but lets keep in mind a lot of Nintendo fans b*tched loudly when it dawned on them that the Wii was not a "normal" Nintendo console that they were expecting too. But they bought one anyway. 

Some people may not like the idea now, but they will shut up and get all giddy once they see Mario Galaxy 3 or whatever running on it and realize they can now play the mainline Pokemon games at home in HD on their 50 inch TV if that's what they feel like. Then suddenly there will be a whole lot of "wow! what a great idea Nintendo!" from Nintendo fanatics, lol (as there always is).