By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Wii U successor 2017 or 2018?

Wii U successor 2017 or 2018

2017 142 41.76%

2018 142 41.76%

Later 56 16.47%

Total:340
Soundwave said:

Why do you guys keep thinking there is a separate platform here coming? Fusion is the successor to both the 3DS and Wii U.

I don't really understand why it's that hard to understand. Iwata has basically spelt it out in his investor meeting comments.

- They will make a devices that's akin to Apple's product line ... meaning several hardware variants that use one software ecosystem like iPad, iPhone, iPod Touch all have the same apps and even a similar chipset.

- Nintendo has even collapsed their handheld and console teams now into one singular entity, there is no longer any seperation, this should be a pretty strong tip-off of what's coming. 

- This will launch approximately two years from May 2014 (so May 2016-ish).

That's straight from Iwata. The age of completely distinct handhelds and consoles with different software libraries from Nintendo is over. A "new definition" is coming in 2016 ... and that's direct from Mr. Iwata speaking to his shareholders. You guys are still thinking in the old, traditional paradigm, but Nintendo is going in a different direction. 

Do you think they launch a variety of hardware at the same time, or simply start off with the HH?  I tend to think the home version will launch after, to avoid any  confusion.

Around the Network
zorg1000 said:
Soundwave said:
Fusion is the successor to both the 3DS and Wii U ... there won't be a "traditional" Wii U successor.

So whenever Fusion launches is when the next Nintendo generation begins and Iwata basically has already said that will be in 2016.

Yep, this is what I see

Jan/Feb 2016-Nintendo Direct announcing both Fusion platforms with launch windows of mid-2016 for handheld variant and holiday 2016 for console version. Probably have 1-2 trailers for games slated for launch.

June 2016-at E3 they will give final details such as price/release date/launch lineup for the handheld variant. I'm thinking maybe June for Japan and August for America/Europe. Expect lots of demos/trailers for games releasing thru spring of 2017.

Sept 2016-Nintendo Direct showing going into more detail of games releasing during the holidays and into spring. Release date/price finalized for console version, which is Nov for America/Europe and Dec for Japan.

I think they will show at next year's E3 to be honest, but probably only the handheld variant first and probably with very limited games shown (perhaps only tech demos). 

I agree though probably a late spring 2016 launch for the handheld variant. The home version could then be spaced into November 2016. 

se7en7thre3 said:
Soundwave said:

Why do you guys keep thinking there is a separate platform here coming? Fusion is the successor to both the 3DS and Wii U.

I don't really understand why it's that hard to understand. Iwata has basically spelt it out in his investor meeting comments.

- They will make a devices that's akin to Apple's product line ... meaning several hardware variants that use one software ecosystem like iPad, iPhone, iPod Touch all have the same apps and even a similar chipset.

- Nintendo has even collapsed their handheld and console teams now into one singular entity, there is no longer any seperation, this should be a pretty strong tip-off of what's coming. 

- This will launch approximately two years from May 2014 (so May 2016-ish).

That's straight from Iwata. The age of completely distinct handhelds and consoles with different software libraries from Nintendo is over. A "new definition" is coming in 2016 ... and that's direct from Mr. Iwata speaking to his shareholders. You guys are still thinking in the old, traditional paradigm, but Nintendo is going in a different direction. 

Do you think they launch a variety of hardware at the same time, or simply start off with the HH?  I tend to think the home version will launch after, to avoid any  confusion.

Yup I agree, seems like a lot of people think Apr-June 2016 for the handheld, and November 2016 for the home one. They need a new handheld and fast anyway. 

Soundwave said:

I don't know about you, but I've seen several people in this thread post as if they think this dubious Fusion console will release.

I'm thinking 2018. Nintendo will want to milk this gen as long as possible (and I think 2018 is the longest possible) to make some of the money back.

Also, everyone knows that the "Fusion" rumor was a total fake right? Or is everyone just using the name "Fusion" since it sounds cool?

Bets:

1. If the Wii U sells closer to 10 million LTD by 1/3/2015 I win. If it sells closer to 9.5 million LTD by 1/3/2015 OfficerRaichu15 wins (winner gets 2 weeks of avatar control)--Lost.

Around the Network
fleischr said:

Minor plot twist: It's a fully portable version of WiiU that can sync up to your TV

I expect something similair, but i expect it in 2016 at the latest. The technology is here already, i don't see  why Nintendo would wait so long.

Why isn't 2016 an option? Fall 2016 seems the most likely release period.

I describe myself as a little dose of toxic masculinity.

NintendoPie said:
Soundwave said:

I don't know about you, but I've seen several people in this thread post as if they think this dubious Fusion console will release.

They can think whatever they want, Iwata thinks differently and only his (and the Nintendo board's) opinion matters. 

A lot of Nintendo fans were also in heavy denial over what the Wii would turn out to be, even after it was unveiled many were convinced it *had* to match the power of the PS3/360, they couldn't fathom a new Nintendo console being only slightly more powerful than the existing GameCube because Nintendo had never done anything like that before. 

Iwata has not only said they are going ahead with this concept he's even given his shareholders a release window (approx. spring 2016). 

I doubt they'll be in a rush. The big worry would be if they launched a new console asap, that it'd just have the exact same effect as the wii U. They need to recapture their audience in some way. Either with more and more wii U games or with a bit of hardware like the wii. Just a new console of the same type would probably fail compared to an already established PS4.

2016 for fusion hybrid Wii U and portable gaming

and 2018 for a new console, yup i bet they will release 2 type of console.