By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Realistically, what is the biggest franchise that Microsoft can buy out that would give them first place in console sales?

Microsoft already has three big blockbuster franchises. Halo, Gears of War and now Minecraft. However, I don't think this will be enough for Microsoft to be first place. What franchise could achieve this? I think overall, only COD will be able to do this. Maybe GTA, but that isn't a yearly title.

Around the Network

Cod is on a slow decline, although this years sales is on par with Ghosts, but I would still choose COD or Mario Kart (which is very unrealistic and will never happen)

http://www.whoisjesus-really.com/

Wii U + PS4 

Consoles>Mobile

Well, imo, I think GTA is more of a system seller than cod is... Just look at GTA V's sales! Sure, it doesn't get releases yearly but imo, it doesn't need to! The brand of GTA is way stronger than cod is so if MS buys GTA and makes it exclusive, a shit ton of fans will have a melt down and it will sell a shit ton of systems! (Unless they port it to the PC that is cause then the impact will be less but fanboys will cry none the less)

But at the sametime... Its not just about owning the IP... They also have to make sure they develop it correctly or else it wont really do anything

PC Specs: CPU: 7800X3D || GPU: Strix 4090 || RAM: 32GB DDR5 6000 || Main SSD: WD 2TB SN850

sweetoothj said:

Microsoft already has three big blockbuster franchises. Halo, Gears of War and now Minecraft. However, I don't think this will be enough for Microsoft to be first place. What franchise could achieve this? I think overall, only COD will be able to do this. Maybe GTA, but that isn't a yearly title.

Nothing. Period.

One game does not make a console #1

Captain_Tom said:
sweetoothj said:

Nothing. Period.

Halo says hi...

However I think it's going to a number of games. COD would have a massive impact, along with games like GTA or straight just buying out EA.

Around the Network
DJEVOLVE said:
Captain_Tom said:
sweetoothj said:

Nothing. Period.

Halo says hi...

However I think it's going to a number of games. COD would have a massive impact, along with games like GTA or straight just buying out EA.

Says hi to 24 million sales vs the PS2's 160 million lol!!!  Learn to read I said #1.  

There is no one single franchise that will bring about first place. They need a variety of them, which they have been doing pretty good at the past few months.

"Trick shot? The trick is NOT to get shot." - Lucian

DJEVOLVE said:
Captain_Tom said:
sweetoothj said:

Nothing. Period.

Halo says hi...

What about Halo? Has it given them first place in the console war...ever? Don't think so.

Captain_Tom said:
DJEVOLVE said:

Halo says hi...

Says hi to 24 million sales vs the PS2's 160 million lol!!!  Learn to read I said #1.  

With out Halo, there would be no xbox at all, so essentially that one game saved a whole system.

DJEVOLVE said:
Captain_Tom said:
DJEVOLVE said:

Halo says hi...

With out Halo, there would be no xbox at all, so essentially that one game saved a whole system.

LOL yes a console must have 1 game to sell at all.  What a brilliant (And off topic) point you just made.