By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Realistically, what is the biggest franchise that Microsoft can buy out that would give them first place in console sales?

sweetoothj said:
small44 said:
DJEVOLVE said:
Captain_Tom said:
sweetoothj said:

Microsoft already has three big blockbuster franchises. Halo, Gears of War and now Minecraft. However, I don't think this will be enough for Microsoft to be first place. What franchise could achieve this? I think overall, only COD will be able to do this. Maybe GTA, but that isn't a yearly title.

Nothing. Period.

One game does not make a console #1

Halo says hi...

However I think it's going to a number of games. COD would have a massive impact, along with games like GTA or straight just buying out EA.

I think Halo didn't say the first xb

Actually it did, it outsold the Gamecube and making xbox at least somewhat relevant. Just like how it contribute in Xbox one outseling the Wii U despite the Wii U being cheaper and having a year head start. Halo did a lot. I wonder what a Minecraft sequal will do.

It wouldn't outsell wii u if they are not cod,assasin creed bundle and aggresive deal

PS4 - over 100 millions let's say 120m
Xbox One - 70m
Wii U - 25m

Vita - 15m if it will not get Final Fantasy Kingdoms Heart and Monster Hunter 20m otherwise
3DS - 80m

Around the Network
small44 said:
sweetoothj said:
small44 said:
DJEVOLVE said:
Captain_Tom said:
sweetoothj said:

Microsoft already has three big blockbuster franchises. Halo, Gears of War and now Minecraft. However, I don't think this will be enough for Microsoft to be first place. What franchise could achieve this? I think overall, only COD will be able to do this. Maybe GTA, but that isn't a yearly title.

Nothing. Period.

Halo says hi...

However I think it's going to a number of games. COD would have a massive impact, along with games like GTA or straight just buying out EA.

Actually it did, it outsold the Gamecube and making xbox at least somewhat relevant. Just like how it contribute in Xbox one outseling the Wii U despite the Wii U being cheaper and having a year head start. Halo did a lot. I wonder what a Minecraft sequal will do.

It wouldn't outsell wii u if they are not cod,assasin creed bundle and aggresive deal

Original xbox outsold gamecube with just halo and xbox live. The gamecube had more games and was cheaper ,but still lost.

sweetoothj said:
small44 said:
sweetoothj said:
small44 said:
DJEVOLVE said:
Captain_Tom said:
sweetoothj said:

Nothing. Period.

Halo says hi...

Original xbox outsold gamecube with just halo and xbox live. The gamecube had more games and was cheaper ,but still lost.

3rd party games does better on xbox then gamecube.

And for Mincraft sequel it won't do anything to the system but will sold a lot

PS4 - over 100 millions let's say 120m
Xbox One - 70m
Wii U - 25m

Vita - 15m if it will not get Final Fantasy Kingdoms Heart and Monster Hunter 20m otherwise
3DS - 80m

MoHasanie said:
Maybe GTA + COD would put them in first place.

READ the OP people.  "What it is the biggest franchise that MS can buy..."

MS will NEVER be able to buy GTA or COD (Unless COD goes majorly downhill in a couble years).  Tomb Raider is an example of a franchise that was just bairly unsuccessful enough to allow MS console exclusivity for a few months.  What else is out there like that?

Maybe Bioshock?  They could buy the rights to that I suppose and continue the franchise.

sweetoothj said:
small44 said:
DJEVOLVE said:
Captain_Tom said:
sweetoothj said:

Nothing. Period.

Halo says hi...

Yeah but the Gamecube actually profited.  The OG Xbox dug the Xbox division into a 7 billion dollar whole they still haven't dug out of.

Around the Network
Captain_Tom said:
sweetoothj said:
small44 said:
DJEVOLVE said:
Captain_Tom said:
sweetoothj said:

Nothing. Period.

Halo says hi...

Yeah but the Gamecube actually profited.  The OG Xbox dug the Xbox division into a 7 billion dollar whole they still haven't dug out of.

So? It still sold more. Besides Microsoft is richer than Nintendo and Sony combine. They've been using xbox as a way to get more developers on their platform and as a way to get gaming on pc more popular. Thanks to xbox, third party games are now coming on PC because Xbox forced Playstation to make a platform with similar architecture to a PC. This will benefit windows PC in the long run which is where they make most of their money. Plus, Microsoft are projected to break even on Xbox this generation.

Captain_Tom said:
sweetoothj said:

Nothing. Period.

FF7 made not just the psone but playstation as a whole..

I do not believe that is possible at this point.

If it is possible, it would be GTA.

It would also be a purely hypothetical scenario, as GTA's value to Microsoft would related purely to Xbox (as opposed to Minecraft which has multiple applications), would cost billions of dollars, and they would not recoup that investment.

starcraft - Playing Games = FUN, Talking about Games = SERIOUS

So? It still sold more. 

HAHAHAHA!  I'm sorry you just made my night.  The amount of bias it would take to think selling 9% more than the competition make up for losing 7 billion dollars (Instead of profiting like Nintendo did) is just too comical...

generic-user-1 said:
Captain_Tom said:
sweetoothj said:

Nothing. Period.

FF7 made not just the psone but playstation as a whole..

LOL are you crazy?!  It wasn't the CD player, GT, Spyro, Crash (Which was a more recognizable mascot than Mario for a year), Metal Gear Solid, and the 1 year head start it had on the N64?

Hell GT was the best selling game on the PS1, not FF7.  Does anyone around here actually fact check anything they say?