By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Target Australia Stop Selling GTA5

Tagged games:

You know I wish people would realize its not the games, or the retailers, its the parents. "Little Timmy" can't go into a Target and buy these games without an adult present. I know if I knowingly sold a copy of GTA V to a minor I would get fired.

"I think it will be the HDS"-Me in regards to Nintendo's next handheld.

Around the Network

Of course the majority of feedback would be negative seeing as people who don't have a problem with the games' content and/or those who are enjoying it have better things to be doing than leaving feedback . Glad I don't put up with the BS aussie gamers have to endure.

There's just as much (actually there's more) violence against men in GTAV...

That's a dumb thing too. I mean, they will make a small amount of women happy, but not selling such a popular game is a dumb thing to do.

NNID: FrequentFlyer54

Like others have said, it's the parents fault. Not the game. Theyre purposefully ignoring the labels and giving whatever the fuck the kids wants to them. Over here in the states I often see 7-12yr olds getting CoD/GTA and other M-rated games from the parents for their kids without even looking at the label. Theyre the same people that'll complain video games are too violent

Around the Network
Nettles said:
This would have boosted the feminists morale.Not long now until they call for an outright ban of the game in Aus now....

Depends on how you define feminists.  To me this is the wrong tactic to help women achieve equality.  Taking away something from another group just angers them and entrenches their view of you as being an enemy or adversary.  The goal should be dialogue that women want to be treated with dignity and have equal oppurtunities across the globe.  

Video games fall under free expession like all art.  You are free to dislike something, can even state your dislike and encourage others not to partake.  The line is crossed when desire is to ban or restrict others access from art due to your objections. 

Barkley said:

Link: http://www.target.com.au/medias/marketing/corporate/PDF/media-release/GTA-Media-Release-v2.pdf

Target Australia will stop selling the R-rated video game Grand Theft Auto 5 (GTA5) following feedback from customers about the game's depictions of violence against women. Target General Manager Corporate Affairs Jim Cooper said the decision was made following extensive. community and customer concern about the game.

"We've been speaking to many customers over recent days about the game, and there is a significant level of concern about the game's content," Mr Cooper said. "We've also had customer feedback in support of us selling the game, and we respect their perspective on the issue. However, we feel the decision to stop selling GTA5 is in line with the majority view of our customers." Mr Cooper said Target would continue to sell other R-rated DVDs and games.

"While these products often contain imagery that some customers find offensive, in the vast majority of cases, we believe they are appropriate products for us to sell to adult customers. However, in the case of GTA5, we have listened to the strong feedback from customers that this is not aproduct they want us to sell." 

In related news :

Bit by bit, Western nations are adopting Muslim legal standards on blasphemy and on the treatment of women. The excuses are manifold. Racism, cultural differences, Islamophobia, relativism… but it all ends the same way, with Western writers, artists and thinkers being censored and Western women being subject to Taliban treatment.

http://www.frontpagemag.com/2013/dgreenfield/australian-judge-finds-muslim-cultural-differences-valid-excuse-for-rape/

Dumbasses

Nymeria said:
Nettles said:
This would have boosted the feminists morale.Not long now until they call for an outright ban of the game in Aus now....

Depends on how you define feminists.  To me this is the wrong tactic to help women achieve equality.  Taking away something from another group just angers them and entrenches their view of you as being an enemy or adversary.  The goal should be dialogue that women want to be treated with dignity and have equal oppurtunities across the globe.  

Video games fall under free expession like all art.  You are free to dislike something, can even state your dislike and encourage others not to partake.  The line is crossed when desire is to ban or restrict others access from art due to your objections. 

^ This.

BraLoD said:
Vikki said:
Looking back at the game I can only think of one mission that has you intentionally kill a woman, and even then she does something so mind numbingly stupid that she kills herself.

This is such absolute bollocks.

I don't think this is the kind of "violence" they mean there.

It's probably due to the 1st person view and the possibility to make sex while with it.

Even then, that still makes no sense whatsoever. I can go first person and have mild comedic sex with a prostitute and then kill her afterwards. I can also go first person and shoot hoards of civlian men and police officers. 

]

Against women?! Their is a prolonged torture seen with a guy!

Captain_Tom said:
Against women?! Their is a prolonged torture seen with a guy!

Yep... now picture that torture scene with a woman instead. The game would cause such an outcry it'd probably be banned.  Ridiculous.