By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Target Australia Stop Selling GTA5

Tagged games:

Link: http://www.target.com.au/medias/marketing/corporate/PDF/media-release/GTA-Media-Release-v2.pdf

Target Australia will stop selling the R-rated video game Grand Theft Auto 5 (GTA5) following feedback from customers about the game's depictions of violence against women. Target General Manager Corporate Affairs Jim Cooper said the decision was made following extensive. community and customer concern about the game.

"We've been speaking to many customers over recent days about the game, and there is a significant level of concern about the game's content," Mr Cooper said. "We've also had customer feedback in support of us selling the game, and we respect their perspective on the issue. However, we feel the decision to stop selling GTA5 is in line with the majority view of our customers." Mr Cooper said Target would continue to sell other R-rated DVDs and games.

"While these products often contain imagery that some customers find offensive, in the vast majority of cases, we believe they are appropriate products for us to sell to adult customers. However, in the case of GTA5, we have listened to the strong feedback from customers that this is not aproduct they want us to sell." 

Around the Network

Looking back at the game I can only think of one mission that has you intentionally kill a woman, and even then she does something so mind numbingly stupid that she kills herself.

This is such absolute bollocks.

]

Wow... humanity has once again failed me. Look out for the feminazis

What a silly idea... The classification matches the content within the game. It's restricted to 18+ It's most likely parents whinging because THEY bought the game for their child & had no idea...

I work in retail, I get alot of 12 & 13 year olds trying to buy the game. They cant get it, so get their parents to come back & buy it on their behalf....

Edit: I like the new "feminazis" term being thrown around haha

Critical theory. Simple as that.

Destroy a nation's source of pleasure, and the avoidance of pain (work) will follow.

I WON A BET AGAINST AZUREN! WOOOOOOOOOOAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH

:3

Around the Network

This is why Australian gamer's, always get screwed. We've pushed for the R18+ rating so that games don't get banned, but it seems that hasn't stoppped that. I hope other retailers don't follow suit.

Two department stores in New Zealand have stopped selling all R18 content: games, TV shows and Movies.

“The fundamental cause of the trouble is that in the modern world the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt.” - Bertrand Russell

"When the power of love overcomes the love of power, the world will know peace."

Jimi Hendrix

mii-gamer said:
This is why Australian gamer's, always get screwed. We've pushed for the R18+ rating so that games don't get banned, but it seems that hasn't stoppped that. I hope other retailers don't follow suit.

Actually I think it is probably better if places like target don't stock the R 18+ games as their are a lot of stupid parents that never bother to read stuff and think that a place like target would never have adult content. It only triggers complaints and provides an excuse for government to crack down again.

One completely ill informed, inconsistent, inconsequential step in the wrong direction from Target.

Have never bought a game from them and now I never will.

This is the Game of Thrones

Where you either win

or you DIE

nanarchy said:
mii-gamer said:

Actually I think it is probably better if places like target don't stock the R 18+ games as their are a lot of stupid parents that never bother to read stuff and think that a place like target would never have adult content. It only triggers complaints and provides an excuse for government to crack down again.

Target almost always have the cheapest day one prices for games. I got Advance Warfare, Fifa, Smash Bros and Amiibo cheaper than what Jb, Big W, Eb games, Gametraders, Ozgameshop etc offers :(

Besides, this sets a dangerous precedent for other games