By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - No brainer: If RARE returned to glory would X1 be your choice over the PS4?

If -- and it's a big if -- Rare managed to make for Xbox One a collection of games comparable to that released during its glory years between 1994 and 2001, then, yes, it would propel that system ahead of PS4. After all, Xbox One and PS4 share much of the same library. Many of the high-profile games of 2015, including Arkham Knight, MGSV, Evolve, and The Division, can be played on either system. Therefore, higher resolution notwithstanding, PS4 has an advantage only with its exclusive software. If Xbox One suddenly received a steady stream of superior exclusive games, many of them masterworks, then it would easily surpass PS4.

But Rare returning to its glory days is a pipe dream, I'm afraid.

Around the Network

Probably not. Sony still has franchises like The Show that set it apart.

"On my business card I am a corporate president. In my mind I am a game developer. But in my heart I am a gamer." - Satoru Iwata

I already picked an X1. Rare being a great again would be great though although I'm keeping my expectations for their next game low.

NNID: FrequentFlyer54

Assuming I didn't have a PS4 like I already do, I'd probably still go with the PS4, but I'd be much more enticed to get an X1 at some point than I am right now.

No, because they could never make a game as good as rose tinted nostalgia glasses make old ones.

Around the Network
BraveNewWorld said:
Probably not. Sony still has franchises like The Show that set it apart.

that series is exclusive for a reason: it barely sells. it's been on a steep decline for the last decade and not a single title has ever come close to breaking even 1m. i'd say that's just as niche as even the lesser rare of recent memory. tho of course you're probably just speaking for yourself here.

No. Considering the only Rare games I truly enjoyed over the years was Battletoads (NES), Donkey Kong Country 2 (SNES), and Goldeneye (N64), I don't really understand the affection it receives.

Serious_frusting said:

Nope. The last thing they did I liked was Golden eye and at that point my donga was so pointless my tongue was
Well lets keep this pg.....
Heres the point. Most people dont know who the hell rare are. They know the symbol from old donkey kong from snes and golden eye from N64.

Nobody knows what banjo is. nobody cares who rare is unless you say those people who created the donkey kong games when we were kids are creating another game. The best reaction you get most time from them is oh well they have gone crap.

Not even my words, just when I say to people guess what dev made this game that has now made this game?

The only thing they had going for them was the fact they could have gone back and made donkey kong. Another dev has done that so rare is like the sexy girlfriend you had years ago who you split up with then met years later to find out she turned into a fat stinking drunk.

Edit: You are putting this dev against aginst a full company of devs consist of:

Polyphony Digital (1)

Naughty Gods (2)

Santa Monica (3)

Japan Studio

Guerrilla (4)

Media Molecule

Need I go on? I know things can be subjective but to me this just seems overly silly. Sorry if I come across overly pompous but some things are just not up for debate. I believe this is one of them.

(1) gran turismo hasn't been good since ps2 days, probably a-spec was the peak of the series. they do nothing else but gt and people aren't exactly clamoring for it. (plus racing simulators are in decline generally: see forza horizon 2's abysmal sales.)

(2) interactive movie makers

(3) last good game was in 2010 (god of war 3); since then biggest game was ps all stars which was a smash bros rip off and more or less objectively a turd of a game (and boy did it sell like one).

(4) are you kidding?

you'll notice i exempt japan studio and media molecule. they're very different from one another but are alike in their commitment to quality at their best. listing a bunch of stuff =/= making a point. and i'm just about the furthest thing from an ms fan.

also i don't know what a donga is but the internet tells me it is "a small ravine with steep sides."

The_Sony_Girl1 said:
Nobody would buy it anyway, because the majority of people on Xbox would be shooter fanatics.

This, that and the other.

Lube Me Up

jetforcejiminy said:
archbrix said:

... and I thought Jet Force Gemini was terrible.