By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Rating your systems for 2014

WiiU: A. Nintendo delivered what a console should this year, great exclusives. 3rd party situation might be bad, but i don't care at this point
3DS; D. Nintendo dropped the ball this year, haven't bought a new game all year. Kirby and Yoshi, god no.
PS4: C. Great multiplats, but lacks any good exclusives beyond Infamous. Objectively biggest "exclusive" this year was a PS3-port
PS3: B. South Park, awesome, Borderlands The Pre-Sequel, very good. Assassin's Creed Rogue, fantastic. I give it a higher grade than PS4 because it gave me things i don't expect from a console who has been replaced

Around the Network

PS4 - A-
Vita - B-

B > Vita, especially because of psplus and awesome J-RPGs

A >PS3, again psplus, better discounts than ever before on digital games and constant flow of games overall

A++ > PC, as I started playing competetively a lot more, but also profited a lot more from steam sales. Probably the system I played the most this year, for the first time.

In the end, not disappointed by any system i own currently. And still waiting for a ps4 and a 2DS in december =D

Xbox One A+
+Has the "IT" factor
+Has great 3rd and 1st party games
+Most powerful console on the market since it can play games and tv at the same time
+Great Online content
+Online Multiplayer
+Beautiful Console design
+Best price for your dollar
+Game capture

PS4 C-
-Lacks quality 1st party software
-Firmware updates counterproductive and leads to malfunctions
-Looks like eraser
+Powerful
+Share Play
+Game capture

Wii U D+
-Lacks games
-Barebones console with limited online capabilities
-Low quality specs
-/+Too many controllers(GameCube, Wii U Pro, Wii Motion Plus, Fat Tablet). Great if you owned a Wii or GameCube negative if you didn't.
-Lack of Free To Play games
+Small emphasis on paid DLC
+Local Co-Op
-Cheap price cheap console

Wii U: A-

3DS: C+

PC: B+

Around the Network

PS3 - B

South Park: Stick of Truth, Grid Autosport, Lightning Returns, Tales of Xillia 2 and Walking Dead Season 2.  That would not be worthy of a B normally, but given that the PS3 is no longer the console maker's main console, I think it has been a pretty good lineup

Vita - B

Daganronpa is fantastic and one of my favorite games in recent years.  I'm counting Danganronpa 2 in my evaluation despite not playing it yet because there is no way I won't enjoy that too. I have enjoyed PS Plus games this year and I am looking forard to playing Tales of Hearts R.  I have lower expectations for handhelds in terms of the amount of games I play each year on them, so Vita gets a B.

PS4 - D (Potential B)

I am quite far behind on PS4 games right now, so I have given it a current score and a potential one.  I got it in August with LoUR and inFamous.  Last of Us is fantastic, but was dulled slightly by the fact I had already played it on PS3.  inFamous was pretty good, I'd give it a 7/10.  Enjoyable and graphically the most impressive game I have played this year, but slightly shallow gameplay wise.  Aside from that, I have played download games, but they have all been good. Child of Light, Valiant Hearts, Transistor, Outlast and PvZ: Garden Warfare I have all enjoyed, especially the latter, really fantastic multiplayer game.  I also borrowed Destiny from a friend, which was a decent game, but the great gunplay couldn't quite save it from the other problems I had with it.  

So if it was that alone, I would say it wasn't a good year for my PS4, but I am far behind like I said earlier.  If I enjoy Alien Isolation, The Evil Within, Driveclub, LittleBigPlanet 3, Far Cry 4, Dragon Age Inquisition, Shadow of Mordor and Diablo 3 as much as I expect to, I would gove the PS4 a B, and consider it a pretty good lineup of games for a first year console.

3DS - E (Potential C)

It gets an E right now, because the only game I have played that came out this year is Theartrhythm Final Fantasy Curtain Call. I picked the game up on a whim and really enjoyed it, put over 30 hours into in the end.  It gets a potential C, for Kirby Triple Deluxe, Fantasy Life, Pokemon Ruby/Sapphire and the Professor Layton trilogy which I hope is still coming this year?

Wii U - D (Potential C)

Mario Kart 8 was good as expected, and I got the Bayonetta special edition, and have played through the first game, which was as good as I remember it.  I am still yet to play Bayonetta 2, Hyrule Warriros or DK: Tropical Freeze, which is why it has a potential of C.  There have been far too many droughts and just not enough big releases, once again, to warrant any higher than a C even if I really enjoy the games I have yet to start