By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - What do yo think will be the hardware specifications of PS5 if it arrives arround 2019-2020?

Intrinsic said:

GDDR6 is good enough. The benefits of HBM2 compared to GDDR6 doesn't offset the much higher costs of HBM2. best HBM2 is around 901GB/s of bandwidth while the best GDDR6 is around 864GB/s. And we will not see those consoles come with an M.2 nvme SSD. But my money is on the interface being there. So we will use an m.2 slot that supports nvme drives but will come shipped with a sata based drive. Probably 1TB of it. But the option will always be there for the users to throw in an nvme drive. 

GDDR6 is good enough, but it does not fit the console design nicely. HBM is like a perfect marriage for an APU and a console. It is the ultimate in effeciency in current tech. 

I think even if they launched with GDDR6, they would eventually switch to HBM in a revision. The way I work, I wouldn't even waste the time with GDDR6, and just do things right the first time with HBM. There is no rush, so no reason to do a short term work around.

As far as Storage goes, I think that has to be the absolute minimum. If NVMe is not at least supported, I am going to be very, very disappointed. I look at it the same way as the RAM though. There is no hurry for a next gen device, so don't force something if you don't have to. A new platform splits the userbase, and even with full B/C, you are starting a zero again. Best not make that commiment until you have something well worth the it.

Stop hate, let others live the life they were given. Everyone has their problems, and no one should have to feel ashamed for the way they were born. Be proud of who you are, encourage others to be proud of themselves. Learn, research, absorb everything around you. Nothing is meaningless, a purpose is placed on everything no matter how you perceive it. Discover how to love, and share that love with everything that you encounter. Help make existence a beautiful thing.

Kevyn B Grams
10/03/2010 

KBG29 on PSN&XBL

Around the Network
VGPolyglot said:
AlfredoTurkey said:

If this is true, and there is no solution, then I have a hard time not feeling negative about the industry as a whole. How can we keep it running like this if the console cycles are going to be ten years? These things aren't cell phones. They're not necessities. People won't upgrade yearly just because. So where are we going to go from here? If I'm burning out at the idea of seven year cycles, how do you think people will deal with longer ones? I mean, it just seems like a massive problem and no one wants to address it.

Well, the question is whether or not we really need to advance much further gaming-wise. I think we're reaching the point of diminishing returns.

That’s what VR is for.

KBG29 said:
Intrinsic said:

GDDR6 is good enough. The benefits of HBM2 compared to GDDR6 doesn't offset the much higher costs of HBM2. best HBM2 is around 901GB/s of bandwidth while the best GDDR6 is around 864GB/s. And we will not see those consoles come with an M.2 nvme SSD. But my money is on the interface being there. So we will use an m.2 slot that supports nvme drives but will come shipped with a sata based drive. Probably 1TB of it. But the option will always be there for the users to throw in an nvme drive. 

GDDR6 is good enough, but it does not fit the console design nicely. HBM is like a perfect marriage for an APU and a console. It is the ultimate in effeciency in current tech. 

I think even if they launched with GDDR6, they would eventually switch to HBM in a revision. The way I work, I wouldn't even waste the time with GDDR6, and just do things right the first time with HBM. There is no rush, so no reason to do a short term work around.

As far as Storage goes, I think that has to be the absolute minimum. If NVMe is not at least supported, I am going to be very, very disappointed. I look at it the same way as the RAM though. There is no hurry for a next gen device, so don't force something if you don't have to. A new platform splits the userbase, and even with full B/C, you are starting a zero again. Best not make that commiment until you have something well worth the it.

You couldn't be more wrong on that. GDDR6 fits perfectly with how consoles are made. HBM is always going to be more expensive and complicated than just soldering chips onto a MB. And with HBM you introduce the issue of lower yields per package. More things can go wrong. And that doesn't sit well with how consoles are to be designed. Further more, the benefits doesn't justify it adoption for consoles. 

As i adhered to previous and this time i would be more detailed. 16GB GDDR6 with 256-bit bus will give you 576GB/s. 24GB of GDDR6 with a 384-bit bus will allow for around 860GB/s of bandwidth. All options would cost less than going with HBM. They can one day transition to HBM, but only when the tech and its implementation is cheaper than GDDR6.

You also seem to be of the impression that by 2020 there wouldn't be enough in the tech space that can be implemented in a $400/$500 price point that would justify the jump to next gen. I think you are wrong and would be pleasantly surprised.

My theory, is that the PS5 will come in at $499. I believe that GDDR6 would be well developed tech by then and as such cheaper than it obviously would be today. I also believe that we will see a return to a split CPU and GPU in the consoles even tho they are both from AMD. This would drive the cost of the CPU+GPU up by around 50% but would result in a significantly more powerful console at launch. So rather than seeing a 12TF GPU we could be looking at an 20 to 24TF one instead. If and only if they go with a split architecture. 

Intrinsic said:

You couldn't be more wrong on that. GDDR6 fits perfectly with how consoles are made. HBM is always going to be more expensive and complicated than just soldering chips onto a MB. And with HBM you introduce the issue of lower yields per package. More things can go wrong. And that doesn't sit well with how consoles are to be designed. Further more, the benefits doesn't justify it adoption for consoles. 

As i adhered to previous and this time i would be more detailed. 16GB GDDR6 with 256-bit bus will give you 576GB/s. 24GB of GDDR6 with a 384-bit bus will allow for around 860GB/s of bandwidth. All options would cost less than going with HBM. They can one day transition to HBM, but only when the tech and its implementation is cheaper than GDDR6.

You also seem to be of the impression that by 2020 there wouldn't be enough in the tech space that can be implemented in a $400/$500 price point that would justify the jump to next gen. I think you are wrong and would be pleasantly surprised.

My theory, is that the PS5 will come in at $499. I believe that GDDR6 would be well developed tech by then and as such cheaper than it obviously would be today. I also believe that we will see a return to a split CPU and GPU in the consoles even tho they are both from AMD. This would drive the cost of the CPU+GPU up by around 50% but would result in a significantly more powerful console at launch. So rather than seeing a 12TF GPU we could be looking at an 20 to 24TF one instead. If and only if they go with a split architecture. 

If they do go for a 2019 - 2020 release then I hope you are right about splitting up the CPU and GPU. They could definitely hit next gen levels if they go that direction. It would be quite the departure from the direction they went with PS4, but perhaps it makes since this time around.

I honestly didn't even consider splitting things up. If they split things up and give us 32GB of GDDR6 and a NVMe slot, then I would be very happy with that device. Even if they ship with a SATA M.2 chip, it would still be about 5 times faster than the current HDD. With a smaller than normal increase in RAM, that would make load times even shorter than this gen, and vastly improve streaming.

Looking at things this way, I can get excited for a 2019 - 2020 PS5! 

Stop hate, let others live the life they were given. Everyone has their problems, and no one should have to feel ashamed for the way they were born. Be proud of who you are, encourage others to be proud of themselves. Learn, research, absorb everything around you. Nothing is meaningless, a purpose is placed on everything no matter how you perceive it. Discover how to love, and share that love with everything that you encounter. Help make existence a beautiful thing.

Kevyn B Grams
10/03/2010 

KBG29 on PSN&XBL

KBG29 said:

Strides are already being made to try and make people happy at both the hardcore end of the market, and the casual end. PS4 Pro and XOX are built for those that want more performance, while PS4 Slim, and XBOS are targeted towards the people that are still looking to join the current gen console space. I believe this will continue going forward, with a wider range of products being available from as little as $100 and up to $1,000. This will allow people to get the expereince they want, at the price they want. It will also allow consoles to make a bigger margin on the higher end devices.

What if the mid-range hardware of the Xbox One X and Playstation 4 Pro isn't enough to satiate ones desires for better hardware though? :P

KBG29 said:

GDDR6 is good enough, but it does not fit the console design nicely.

What did I just read?

KBG29 said:

HBM is like a perfect marriage for an APU and a console. It is the ultimate in effeciency in current tech.

HBM is also expensive. The opposite that a console needs.

If you spend $50 extra on HBM DRAM... That is $50 worth of graphics hardware not going into your consoles box, you know that chip that draws all the pretty pictures? Yeah that thing.

You need to balance the price/performance of a console, you CANNOT have expensive high-end hardware.

KBG29 said:

GDDR6 will be cheaper than HBM. Sony and Microsoft will opt with whatever is cheapest.

GDDR6 will also be mass produced to a higher degree than HBM, so it will have the advantage of scales of economy.
GDDR6 will also see improvements over it's lifetime, not just in terms of cost... But power consumption, densities, bandwidth... And that should transition nicely to a Slim revision.

Intrinsic said:

I also believe that we will see a return to a split CPU and GPU in the consoles even tho they are both from AMD. This would drive the cost of the CPU+GPU up by around 50% but would result in a significantly more powerful console at launch.

That could actually be a very real possibility.
But it actually might reduce the costs.

Building one, giant monolithic chip does have it's advantages... But they also tend to have poorer yields than smaller chips... Which is why AMD took the approach they did with Threadripper by using it's "fabric" and up-to 4 potential smaller CPU dies working together.
More workable chips you can get out of a wafer the better... And that means having the smallest possible chips the better.

The Xbox One and Playstation 4 had relatively large chips (for the time and process) on release.

Interested to see what approach they take on this front though to be honest.

KBG29 said:

If they split things up and give us 32GB of GDDR6 and a NVMe slot, then I would be very happy with that device. Even if they ship with a SATA M.2 chip, it would still be about 5 times faster than the current HDD. With a smaller than normal increase in RAM, that would make load times even shorter than this gen, and vastly improve streaming.

Looking at things this way, I can get excited for a 2019 - 2020 PS5! 

SATA 3 TLC SSD would still allow for a 5-7.5x performance increase over the current hard drives being used in the current consoles.
I don't think people fully understand how shit the hard drives Microsoft and Sony chose really are.

The base Xbox One's Hard Drive is only pulling 80MB/s in sustained.

I think an SSHD is probably the best we can expect... And in some instances that can provide improvements of 3x.
Even the Xbox One X's 5400rpm hard drive is nothing to write home about. (I can't believe 5400rpm Hard drives even exist in 2018.)

I also can't wait for 2020, technology seems to be lining up for that year, so hopefully Sony and Microsoft bring the goods to wow us.

--::{PC Gaming Master Race}::--

Around the Network

RAM: 12-16 GB HBM2, CPU: Custom 8 core Ryzen, GPU: AMD Vega based, Estimated single-precision performance: around 13 TFLOPS (7 times faster than PS4)... if we see PS5 by 2020. So again mid-high end PC of 2018, if they want to keep less than $400 price tag. That should be enough to comfortably run 2020+ games in 4k 30fps.

Pemalite said:

GDDR6 will be cheaper than HBM. Sony and Microsoft will opt with whatever is cheapest.

GDDR6 will also be mass produced to a higher degree than HBM, so it will have the advantage of scales of economy.
GDDR6 will also see improvements over it's lifetime, not just in terms of cost... But power consumption, densities, bandwidth... And that should transition nicely to a Slim revision.

Honestly if the memory chip module manufacturers can't provide HBM at reasonable prices for console manufacturers then instead of using a short term workaround like GDDR6, I would wait and hope for the JEDEC board to standardize GDDR7 by 2020 and wait for console manufacturers to release their next gen systems by 2021 to coincide with the successor to the Navi microachitecture ... (next generation maybe our last generation since we could run out of maximizing transistor technology so we need a reasonable baseline for next generation in terms of both new hardware features and raw power to provide a high incentive for customers to purchase new systems but hopefully Samsung will ramp up EUV for this year so that we can use the technology to enable higher performance and density for DRAMs) 

Kristof81 said:
RAM: 12-16 GB HBM2, CPU: Custom 8 core Ryzen, GPU: AMD Vega based, Estimated single-precision performance: around 13 TFLOPS (7 times faster than PS4)... if we see PS5 by 2020. So again mid-high end PC of 2018, if they want to keep less than $400 price tag. That should be enough to comfortably run 2020+ games in 4k 30fps.

why Vega based? maybe Navi is ready for oct-nov 2020. 

One one side 400 could be a posibility. But 2020 is 7 years after 2013, and If we think about inflation, those 2013 400 USS are close to 2020 500 USS. Usa inflation usually is near 3% every year if im not wrong. 

IF PS5 is fast enough, they could price it at 500 USS after all XBox one X was priced at 500 in 2017. 

SvennoJ said:
Captain_Tom said:
CrazyGPU said:

The PS4 is a great console, It has a CPU with 8 little cores that achieves a Core I3 like multithreading performance, a nice 18 core shader graphic card derived from Radeon HD 7870-7850 that gives 1,84 Tflops and 8 GB of DDR5 with 176 GB/s of Bandwith. With these specifications it can run almost every game at 1080p 30 FPS. It could have been a little more powerfull, but its enough for 1080p mantaining a good console size and power consumption. 

Now, what do you think the next PS5 will bring us in terms of hardware specifications? I think next gen console should be able to handle at least 4k Resolution at 30 FPS to take advantage of new TVs.  What do you think should be the capabilities and hardware of the next sony console  if it comes arround 2019-2020 to convince you to buy it? 

2019 would be the latest I think it might come out (Expect sooner).  But when it does I would expect:

-Something like an R9 770X or whatever would be like 8 times stronger than the 7870 in the PS4

-16 or 32GB of HBM memory bringing the bandwidth to 1 or 2 TB/s

-An 8-core CPU clocked at 3 - 4.0 GHz with much better IPC than the PS4's cpu, and a second quad-core cpu for background tasks.

-Full backwords compatibility with the PS4.

-Expect the PS5 to perform as well at 4K as the PS4 does at 1080p now with the obvious advantage of much better effects/AI/Physics.  60 FPS should also be at least decently easier for the PS5 to do than it is for the current consoles (Due to the faster CPU and RAM).

-Possibly a 1 TB SSD for fast load times.  Expect at least a hybrid solution.

What makes you think that's enough to do 4K at 30fps? Thats a 4x increase in resolution, while ps4 already has trouble maintaining 30 fps with a 2.25 increase in resolution.

I hope you're right because by 2019 I'll be all 4K, yet my gut tells me there will be another gen of upscaling 1440p/1600p before we get native 4K.

32GB memory sure, memory is not that expensive. 1TB SSD nah, easiest to keep the cost down by including a cheap HDD. Somehow I also expect to see a 16 core CPU before going back to 3-4 Ghz. More focus on GPGPU as well.

32GB Ram still cost at least 250€, that's way too much for a console. If the prices don't start dropping soon, next gen might as well just have 16GB

16gb of VRAM is more than enough to display 4k and have high quality textures.

You only need to look at Xbox One X to have an idea of what the next generation will be capable.

The extra juice will come with better CPU per core performance. 10 cores could be good enough to reach 60 GPS.