By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - What do yo think will be the hardware specifications of PS5 if it arrives arround 2019-2020?

Dark_Feanor said:
16gb of VRAM is more than enough to display 4k and have high quality textures.

You only need to look at Xbox One X to have an idea of what the next generation will be capable.

The extra juice will come with better CPU per core performance. 10 cores could be good enough to reach 60 GP

Maybe you are right, 

I would like to know how PCs manage memory vs this gen consoles. 

Quantum break, Battlefront 2 are asking for 16 GB of ram and 4/3 GB of VRAM. Recommended.

Cod WWII 12 GB of ram and 6 GB. Recommended. 

They run on current premium consoles, but that gives me an idea that if they make a 16 GB of ram console, games are going to stall. I mean, next gen would last for at least 7 more years. Last time they add 16 x more RAM. If they only double it, it would become a bottleneck in the years to come. But it can happen.

Around the Network
CrazyGPU said:

Maybe you are right, 

I would like to know how PCs manage memory vs this gen consoles. 

Quantum break, Battlefront 2 are asking for 16 GB of ram and 4/3 GB of VRAM. Recommended.

Cod WWII 12 GB of ram and 6 GB. Recommended. 

They run on current premium consoles, but that gives me an idea that if they make a 16 GB of ram console, games are going to stall. I mean, next gen would last for at least 7 more years. Last time they add 16 x more RAM. If they only double it, it would become a bottleneck in the years to come. But it can happen.

They tend to be downgraded experiences on console verses the PC though.
Even the Xbox One X isn't matching the PC's ultra.

CrazyGPU said:

why Vega based? maybe Navi is ready for oct-nov 2020. 

We would probably be looking at AMD's next gen GPU architecture by then.

fatslob-:O said:

Honestly if the memory chip module manufacturers can't provide HBM at reasonable prices for console manufacturers then instead of using a short term workaround like GDDR6, I would wait and hope for the JEDEC board to standardize GDDR7 by 2020 and wait for console manufacturers to release their next gen systems by 2021 to coincide with the successor to the Navi microachitecture ... (next generation maybe our last generation since we could run out of maximizing transistor technology so we need a reasonable baseline for next generation in terms of both new hardware features and raw power to provide a high incentive for customers to purchase new systems but hopefully Samsung will ramp up EUV for this year so that we can use the technology to enable higher performance and density for DRAMs) 

GDDR7 would be amazing. But I doubt JEDEC would have gotten off their ass and ratified the standard by 2020 considering how long we were sitting around with GDDR5.

Dark_Feanor said:
16gb of VRAM is more than enough to display 4k and have high quality textures.

You only need to look at Xbox One X to have an idea of what the next generation will be capable.

The extra juice will come with better CPU per core performance. 10 cores could be good enough to reach 60 GPS.

16GB of VRAM is certainly enough for 4k and high-quality texture. If it was completely dedicated to graphics.
Throw in system memory, OS memory, apps, background tasks and cats... And then 16GB of total Ram starts to look antiquated.

--::{PC Gaming Master Race}::--

Bofferbrauer2 said:
SvennoJ said:

What makes you think that's enough to do 4K at 30fps? Thats a 4x increase in resolution, while ps4 already has trouble maintaining 30 fps with a 2.25 increase in resolution.

I hope you're right because by 2019 I'll be all 4K, yet my gut tells me there will be another gen of upscaling 1440p/1600p before we get native 4K.

32GB memory sure, memory is not that expensive. 1TB SSD nah, easiest to keep the cost down by including a cheap HDD. Somehow I also expect to see a 16 core CPU before going back to 3-4 Ghz. More focus on GPGPU as well.

32GB Ram still cost at least 250€, that's way too much for a console. If the prices don't start dropping soon, next gen might as well just have 16GB

Hmm it's 4 years later now and I lost interest in 4K lol. What does it need for VR at a decent resolution is the question now :)
16GB ram will be plenty as those 4K textures won't be necessary.

SvennoJ said:
Bofferbrauer2 said:

32GB Ram still cost at least 250€, that's way too much for a console. If the prices don't start dropping soon, next gen might as well just have 16GB

Hmm it's 4 years later now and I lost interest in 4K lol. What does it need for VR at a decent resolution is the question now :)
16GB ram will be plenty as those 4K textures won't be necessary.

Actually for VR we will want even higher resolution textures, because you can zoom in on everything. Muddy low res textures, will be very illusion breaking when the graphical fidelity and resolution is enhanced. 32GB of RAM is the absolute minimum the next gen consoles should have. 24GB for Games, and 8GB for the OS, Multitasking, Apps, Streaming, etc. should be good enough to make TV gaming look a bit prettier, and make a signifcant leap in VR. 

Stop hate, let others live the life they were given. Everyone has their problems, and no one should have to feel ashamed for the way they were born. Be proud of who you are, encourage others to be proud of themselves. Learn, research, absorb everything around you. Nothing is meaningless, a purpose is placed on everything no matter how you perceive it. Discover how to love, and share that love with everything that you encounter. Help make existence a beautiful thing.

Kevyn B Grams
10/03/2010 

KBG29 on PSN&XBL

12-14TF, a decent Navi CPU, 32GB of RAM or
24GB of high quality RAM. Am UHD disc drive so games can be 100GB and a 2TF SHHD. Launch price between $400 and $500. Launching during the holiday period of 2020 or 2021. Depending on how low Sony wants the launch price to be.

Please excuse my (probally) poor grammar

Around the Network
Pemalite said:

GDDR7 would be amazing. But I doubt JEDEC would have gotten off their ass and ratified the standard by 2020 considering how long we were sitting around with GDDR5.

That may have used to be true in the past but now I'm not so sure anymore since there's nothing stopping their recent momentum. (industry on the verge of transitioning to EUV, Rambus reuniting with JEDEC(!) and higher demand than ever for higher performance DRAM) Before memory standards used to have a much lower turnover rate but currently their bringing out new memory standards faster than they did in the past. GDDR3 standard wasn't developed by JEDEC since they adopted it from ATi Technologies at the time, the specifications for the GDDR4 standard was released in 2006 by JEDEC, GDDR5 standard was released in 2007, GDDR5X standard was released in 2016 and the GDDR6 standard released a year after that. Consequently the original HBM standard was adopted in 2013, HBM 2 standard was finalized in 2016 but HBM 3 standard could get finalized by as early as the end of this year ... 

The final DDR5 standard is about to be published this year too ... 

globalisateur said:
Trumpstyle said:

I wrote down these specs in another post recently:

"I expect a 4 core cpu with 8 threads (2,8ghz), 9 TF gpu, 16 GB gddr6 (448 GB/s bandwidth) and a mechanical hard drive for laptops (140+ mb/s read speed)."

But I'm changing that, I now expect a 7 core with 14 thread ryzen cpu (most likely zen2 will the architecture) with 2,3 ghz clock speed. With 6 cores available for games and 1 core is for the OS. Rest of the specs remain the same in my prediction.

A 4 core cpu would just not be good enough for next-gen system especially with 1 core being taken by the OS. If you wondering why exactly 7 cores instead of 8 cores it's cause it will be cheaper to produce with 1 core disabled.

SMT (2 threads by core) is not ideal for a console, apparently it's kind of random. I think it would make much more sense (and be less expensive anyways) for 8 cores, 8 threads. Also BC with PS4 would be much easier like this.

AMD produce their CPU by chunk of 4. So it would be 6 cores (with 2 disabled) or 8.

Yep, edited my post again. It will probably be 8/8 core zen cpu with 2,6 ghz. I'm not certain you're 100% correct but I believe Sony will stick with simple specs for ps5.

6x master league achiever in starcraft2

Beaten Sigrun on God of war mode

Beaten DOOM ultra-nightmare with NO endless ammo-rune, 2x super shotgun and no decoys on ps4 pro.

1-0 against Grubby in Wc3 frozen throne ladder!!

I think the PS5 power will be about the same as the XBX

Seems I got the spec with the lowest performance in my Ps5 prediction. I believe I'm right and a lot of people here will be disappointed in ps5.

8/8 core ryzen cpu with 2,6 ghz clock speed (no extra threads), 9 TF navi gpu, 16 gb gddr6 (with 448 GB/s bandwidth) and a 2 TB laptop mechanical hard drive (140 mb/s read speed). These are my specs for Ps5.

Keep in mind power consumption and cost when making the prediction. The Gpu need to draw about 120W and the CPU about 15-20W and the rest about 10W. Otherwise they need more expensive cooling system like the Xbox one X is using and it's very unlikely Sony will go that route.

On 7nm transistor technology it's very unlikely we see a GPU with more than 10 TF because then power consumption will go above 120W, Sony will likely just double the gpu cores (compared to the ps4 pro) with some clock speed increase which give 9 TF. On memory bandwidth I expect sony not to go with the fastest GDDR6 memory speed because of cost and power consumption. And on Cpu a 8/8 Core ryzen with 2,6 Ghz clock speed should pull about 15-20W on 7nm.

I don't expect Sony to do anything fancy with the Ps5, like an additional ddr4 to run the OS, a flash drive to give shorter loading times and more RAM or some kind of HBM+DDR4 combo. This is because of Cost, need to keep it down.

Last edited by Trumpstyle - on 18 February 2018

6x master league achiever in starcraft2

Beaten Sigrun on God of war mode

Beaten DOOM ultra-nightmare with NO endless ammo-rune, 2x super shotgun and no decoys on ps4 pro.

1-0 against Grubby in Wc3 frozen throne ladder!!

CrazyGPU said:
Kristof81 said:
RAM: 12-16 GB HBM2, CPU: Custom 8 core Ryzen, GPU: AMD Vega based, Estimated single-precision performance: around 13 TFLOPS (7 times faster than PS4)... if we see PS5 by 2020. So again mid-high end PC of 2018, if they want to keep less than $400 price tag. That should be enough to comfortably run 2020+ games in 4k 30fps.

why Vega based? maybe Navi is ready for oct-nov 2020. 

One one side 400 could be a posibility. But 2020 is 7 years after 2013, and If we think about inflation, those 2013 400 USS are close to 2020 500 USS. Usa inflation usually is near 3% every year if im not wrong. 

IF PS5 is fast enough, they could price it at 500 USS after all XBox one X was priced at 500 in 2017. 

The simple reason is cost. Top tier graphic cards usually cost more than whole, brand new console. Of course they could get a good deal from AMD, but it's more reasonable to think that they'll stick with cheaper and already well tested option. 

In terms of price tag, I seriously doubt that they'll do the same mistake as they did with the PS3. That $400 price is a psychological barrier, regardless the inflation. It turned out pretty well for them with PS4 and I don't see no reason why they wouldn't attempt to repeat it. Bare in mind that this time around MS will be much smarter and more competitive in the field of pricing. XBox One X is targeted towards enthusiasts and I don't see it (or PS4 pro) outselling base PS4 any time soon ... or ever, unless we see some huge price cuts.

Last edited by Kristof81 - on 18 February 2018