By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - What do yo think will be the hardware specifications of PS5 if it arrives arround 2019-2020?

Intrinsic said:

You do know that the OG PS4 and PS4pro both use and support mixed Ram right?

No they don't. The additional ddr3 is not connected to the APU, it is connected to a secondary ARM-type chip that supports some bachground/sleep mode tasks with its lonely ddr3 memory chip. There is no ddr3 interface in the APU, obviously there is an APU/ARM connection somewhere.

Around the Network
drkohler said:
Intrinsic said:

You do know that the OG PS4 and PS4pro both use and support mixed Ram right?

No they don't. The additional ddr3 is not connected to the APU, it is connected to a secondary ARM-type chip that supports some bachground/sleep mode tasks with its lonely ddr3 memory chip. There is no ddr3 interface in the APU, obviously there is an APU/ARM connection somewhere.

OK... so you are aying its impossible to have an APU that uses two seperate pools of different types of Ram?

Specs

CPU: Ryzen 3rd generation 3.2Ghz 6 core processor (12 Threads)
GPU: 12TF-14TF Navi based custom processor - with next gen features
Memory: RAM: 16GB GDDR6
Storage: 2TB HDD 2.5"
Optical Drive: 4K Ultra HD Bluray drive
Peripheral: Dual Shock 5 - HD rumble. Capacitive buttons

£399, $450 US. Fall 2020.

Pemalite said:
EricHiggin said:

How many games specifically require all 8GB? Would more RAM and a $500 launch price have been a better idea for PS4, because 75 million PS4 owners and many more console owners in general don't seem to mind.

Lots of games potentially. But they have no real choice on console.
Many games on PC do indeed exceed 8GB of System Memory + 2GB of video memory + Gigabytes for the OS and other crap.

While I can't say consoles don't offer limitations to some degree, they are by far, not the only reason why. A games model, budget and timeline factor in, along with it's individual devs themselves. Then you also have what people can afford and what they simply want to pay, not to mention how greedy the software publishers are or are not. That's just a start. Having nothing but the best devs with unlimited freedom and budgets, as well as all willing consumers always having the latest and greatest gaming tech would be awesome, but that in itself doesn't actually fit the console model, and that model exists for good reason, unfortunately.

Consoles are like a beach. PC's are mountains, and mobile is the Mariana Trench, in terms of hardware anyway.

It will be AMD Zen2 with 16GB GDDR6 and Vega Graphics. I would also like to see at least 128GB M.2 standard with slot for 2.5" HDD for expansion. I doubt that will happen due to price but it would be nice. I am betting it will be 802.11A/C, HDMI 2.1 and probably have 4K Blu-Ray support.

Price will stay at $399 May go to $499 but I doubt it.

Around the Network
Pemalite said:

Sony had never released a Pro before. Period.
This is entirely new territory.

Aside from maybe the PSP 2000 where they increased the amount of memory and some games made use of it! 

Pemalite said:

The Goal Posts still haven't moved for you.

Ignore him and don't take him too seriously, he strikes me as a person with lot's of extreme prejudices ...

Pemalite said: 

Allot of people do care about functionality. - I very much cared that my Xbox One X wasn't able to exceed 1080P on my Quad HD display, I enjoyed that some of my favorite games got "enhanced" for free.

But that is not going to be applicable to everyone.

During the Playstation 3 era, Sony gamers were consistently lambasting the Xbox 360's lack of functionality, especially in regards to Wifi, Blu-Ray, Card Reader, User replaceable Hard Drive, Backwards Compatibility... List goes on. And they were genuine, relevant criticisms... The Xbox 360 was indeed lacking.

They are checkbox features, some will care for them, some will not, and that is okay.
And it's been good advertising for Microsoft, especially with Digital Foundry and other outlets doing comparisons on a pretty decent cadence.

Their opinion was the minority as shown in last gen when the Wii won with the LEAST amount of multimedia functionality ... 

The fact that most of the PS3 games ran worse in comparison to the 360 means it was questionable if BC itself was a worthwhile endeavor especially in PS4's case where it could've ran PS3 games SLOWER than the original hardware itself ... 

When a great portion of PS4's userbase were new or returning PS users, that there was a market for remastering games and the technical benefits that come with it being that PS4 itself was a massive leap over the PS3 in performance it became much clearer to them in which direction they were headed to delivering older content ... (I don't think it would've been all that ideal to emulate what were technically inferior versions of games and then obtain even worse performance)

Captain_Tom said:
CrazyGPU said:

The PS4 is a great console, It has a CPU with 8 little cores that achieves a Core I3 like multithreading performance, a nice 18 core shader graphic card derived from Radeon HD 7870-7850 that gives 1,84 Tflops and 8 GB of DDR5 with 176 GB/s of Bandwith. With these specifications it can run almost every game at 1080p 30 FPS. It could have been a little more powerfull, but its enough for 1080p mantaining a good console size and power consumption. 

Now, what do you think the next PS5 will bring us in terms of hardware specifications? I think next gen console should be able to handle at least 4k Resolution at 30 FPS to take advantage of new TVs.  What do you think should be the capabilities and hardware of the next sony console  if it comes arround 2019-2020 to convince you to buy it? 

2019 would be the latest I think it might come out (Expect sooner).  But when it does I would expect:

-Something like an R9 770X or whatever would be like 8 times stronger than the 7870 in the PS4

-16 or 32GB of HBM memory bringing the bandwidth to 1 or 2 TB/s

-An 8-core CPU clocked at 3 - 4.0 GHz with much better IPC than the PS4's cpu, and a second quad-core cpu for background tasks.

-Full backwords compatibility with the PS4.

-Expect the PS5 to perform as well at 4K as the PS4 does at 1080p now with the obvious advantage of much better effects/AI/Physics.  60 FPS should also be at least decently easier for the PS5 to do than it is for the current consoles (Due to the faster CPU and RAM).

-Possibly a 1 TB SSD for fast load times.  Expect at least a hybrid solution.

This will cost $899.99 in 2021

Superman4 said:
It will be AMD Zen2 with 16GB GDDR6 and Vega Graphics. I would also like to see at least 128GB M.2 standard with slot for 2.5" HDD for expansion. I doubt that will happen due to price but it would be nice. I am betting it will be 802.11A/C, HDMI 2.1 and probably have 4K Blu-Ray support.

Price will stay at $399 May go to $499 but I doubt it.

if they do that it will actually cost them less soldering the nand flash chips directly onto the MB of the console.No need having two seperate storage interfaces. So they couls very well solder 240GB of nand flash onto the board connected via a PCIe link to the APU as a foem of game cache and still ship the console with a 1TB HDD. Right now a 240GB SSD is as low as $62 and a 1TB HDD is as low as $50 at retail. Obvioisly prices for sony would be significantly lower. Especially by 2020. But lookibg at those prices then its possible to have a a solution like that for a toral of under $45. 

On the other hand, they could just go the exclusive M.2 route..... But right now the cheapest you can get a 500GB M.2 ssd at retail is around $139. Its a long ways to go before we can comfortably say sony can get 1TB of that for under $50.

fatslob-:O said:
Pemalite said:

Sony had never released a Pro before. Period.
This is entirely new territory.

Aside from maybe the PSP 2000 where they increased the amount of memory and some games made use of it! 

Well. The PSP 2000 wasn't the overhaul that the Playstation 4 Pro or Xbox One X was.

Heck, even Nintendo increased the clocks on it's chips, sprinkled more DRAM in it's iterative handhelds with the New 3DS and DSi lines.

Their opinion was the minority as shown in last gen when the Wii won with the LEAST amount of multimedia functionality ...

Regardless if they were the minority or not, the functionality is important to some. :)
If you can add such functionality without increasing costs, then why not? Win/win for us consumers.

The fact that most of the PS3 games ran worse in comparison to the 360 means it was questionable if BC itself was a worthwhile endeavor especially in PS4's case where it could've ran PS3 games SLOWER than the original hardware itself ...

Well. That depends on how they approach backwards compatibility of course.
Microsoft's mixed approach has shown it to offer some pretty interesting results when all is said and done.

But Microsoft did retain some backwards compatibility natively in hardware, leveraged virtualization, repacked games and so on, so Microsoft likely had this planned from the very start.

When a great portion of PS4's userbase were new or returning PS users, that there was a market for remastering games and the technical benefits that come with it being that PS4 itself was a massive leap over the PS3 in performance it became much clearer to them in which direction they were headed to delivering older content ... (I don't think it would've been all that ideal to emulate what were technically inferior versions of games and then obtain even worse performance)

Many Backwards Compatible Xbox 360 games actually got improved with better texture filtering, framerates, frame pacing and in some instances even resolution.
So there is some advantages to backwards compatibility when done right that can negate where the Playstation 3 fell short to some degree.

For the most part though, unless you have a massive invested library (I have several hundred Xbox 360 and several hundred Original Xbox games) then Backwards compatibility is of limited value anyway.
And to be fair... I haven't played a single backwards compatible game from optical Disk yet, But I do rather enjoy seeing my Xbox 360 digital library popping up on my Xbox One X console over time though, now I just need Microsoft to hurry up with that 1440P update.

--::{PC Gaming Master Race}::--

Mar1217 said:
People are basically asking for a high-end PC for cheap.

Don't be surprised if the think cost 450$-500$ on release ...

That's right.