By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Will anyone ever beat Nintendo's current record of 17 titles over 20 million in sales?

tbone51 said:
prayformojo said:
spurgeonryan said:
KyleeStrutt said:
It ultimately matters on how many Grand Theft Auto games are released.

Technically, only one GTA game has ever passed 20 million on one system....

How many 20 million sellers does Nintendo have which weren't bundled games and wasn't on the Wii?

Pokemon Red/Blue + Pokemon Gold/Silver + NSMB + Nintendogs + Mario KartDS + BrainAge + Super Mario World (i dont thinkthis was bundled).

And just 1 GTA game so only 8 games if it didn't include heavy bundling + excluding Wii games

So Nintendo has 7 x 20 million sellers on handhelds, and 1 x 20 million seller on home consoles, if you exclude bundles?

Around the Network
DM235 said:

So Nintendo has 7 x 20 million sellers on handhelds, and 1 x 20 million seller on home consoles, if you exclude bundles?

I believe NSMBWii, Wii Fit and Wii Sports Resorts also reach 20M before bundle.

Proud to be the first cool Nintendo fan ever

Number ONE Zelda fan in the Universe

DKCTF didn't move consoles

Prediction: No Zelda HD for Wii U, quietly moved to the succesor

Predictions for Nintendo NX and Mobile

DM235 said:
tbone51 said:
prayformojo said:
spurgeonryan said:
KyleeStrutt said:

How many 20 million sellers does Nintendo have which weren't bundled games and wasn't on the Wii?

Pokemon Red/Blue + Pokemon Gold/Silver + NSMB + Nintendogs + Mario KartDS + BrainAge + Super Mario World (i dont thinkthis was bundled).

And just 1 GTA game so only 8 games if it didn't include heavy bundling + excluding Wii games

No that was also excluding any Wii game. It's called moving the goalposts, or cherrypicking... It's kind of like counting the number of 10 million seller on PS3 but not including Call of Duty.

Nintendo has 17 x 20 million seller in total. Super Mario Bros. and Wii Sports were forced bundles for much of their respective consoles lives in America  (And WS also forced in PAL) so I can understand why people want to discount them, but both of those games are so huge it was more them selling the system than the other way around. So I tend to count both (though would add an asterisk to point out they certainly wouldn't have managed 40+ & 80+ million sales alone.
Duck Hunt was also forced though, and I would definitely discount it from this kind of list as it probably wouldn't have reached 2 million, never mind 20.
Tetris I believe was also bundled in America, but not sure how much... I suspect it should also be discounted from a "20 million sellers" list.
Wii Play wasn't bundled with the console, at least not officially, but it was essentially a budget game that everyone bought because they wanted a second controller... If it was sold alone without the controller (for $10-15) then it would have still sold well, not sure about 20 million though... I tend to discount it because keeping both Wii Sports & Wii Play in does seem unfair.
Wii Fit was "bundled" but it was with an accessory that was barely used for any other games and meant the purchase was twice the cost of a normal game, so I don't see why it should be discounted.
NSMBWii, MKWii & Wii Sports Resort all reached 20 million before they were included in any official bundle so again no reason to discount them.
Not sure about Wii Fit Plus.
I think I remember SMW was bundled for the SNES in America, but not sure how significantly... given that it is only a little over 20 million though it was probably pushed over by bundling.

So totals = 5 on handhelds and 6/7 on home consoles (depending on if you want to include WiiFit+)

It depends how you look at it. Games on a single platform probably not, but if you look at Nintendo as a publisher it could be beaten. A lot of COD games sold 20m plus in total for example.

bubblegamer said:
spurgeonryan said:

PS2 outsold everything.

PSone beat all Nintendo consoles to date.

Nintendo has not won in total million sellers in over a decade, yet when it comes to 20 plus they hold a stranglehold on the market.

Or do you consider multiplates in this battle?

We do not know if they would sell just as much on one system, so I think we must not include them.

We can leave mobile and PC out of it....

Because those have already done so?

#1 because the games usually dont cost 50-60 bucks

#2 becuase whiney people always say "My console is better than yours HAHA! ..... OH NO OH NO PLEASE GOD DONT COMPARE IT TO THE PC BECAUSE WE WILL LOSE! Its unfair I was just winning my nonsensical console power argument  T.T.....:"
(also called arbitrary rule)

Long story short. Price and "arbitrary consoles only" rule. We also have no indication of the potential PC userbase etc and mobile games are digital only and alot of games are free OR are free for a limited time like amazons free app of the day etc. (Does amazon/developer count sales or how many people use the product and then "guess" sales?)

Around the Network
tbone51 said:
prayformojo said:
spurgeonryan said:
KyleeStrutt said:

I'm talking consoles. I assumed this thread was talking about consoles as well? I mean, Sony has only had handhelds on the market for 10 years and MS has NEVER had one. 

spurgeonryan said:

PS2 outsold everything.

PSone beat all Nintendo consoles to date.

Nintendo has not won in total million sellers in over a decade, yet when it comes to 20 plus they hold a stranglehold on the market.

Or do you consider multiplates in this battle?

We do not know if they would sell just as much on one system, so I think we must not include them.

We can leave mobile and PC out of it....

So they hold a strong hold on give aways, and. 

Doubtful, since sony and microsoft don't bundle games with their systems the way nintendo does, which is where the lion's share of their 20 million selling games come from.

We will probably never again see a single game bundled with every console sold from Microsoft or Sony, so probably not. Nintendo might, and they tried it with Nintendoland for awhile, but I'm not certain about that, either.

You should definitelycombine multiplats. They're still games even if they don't release on Nintendo platforms.

EDIT: Note that I mean that you combine the sales of the game on each platform. So GTAV for instance has sold 40 million +