By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Nintendo files patent for Game Boy emulation on mobile phones, PDA's, PC and more

What will this lead to?

Demos for phones that wil... 25 25.00%

Nintendo's putting their... 42 42.00%

Nothing will come out of this. 32 32.00%

Total:99

I see this as a preemptive strike to thwart pirates. Since little can be done about general piracy, a lot can be done regarding violating international patent laws.

The Carnival of Shadows - Folk Punk from Asbury Park, New Jersey

http://www.thecarnivalofshadows.com 

Around the Network
KLXVER said:

Im not sure they are stupid enough to do that...

It wouldn't be stupid, just a bunch of cease and desist letters. They would be in their complete legal rights. If they get a patent, you have to pay royalties to use of face legal threat.

But, I don't think they will get the patent. To get a patent, the product must be new and innovative. It can't exist in that form, even if it isn't patented and GB emulators do exist. If the revisor has the correct technical knowledge (and usually they choose one that does), the patent won't happen.

Here comes the money?

torok said:
KLXVER said:
Gameboy emulation on PC? Yeah, that's gonna sell well

Current emulators aren't illegal. ROMs are, emulators aren't. But if Nintendo gets a patent, all GB emulators will be automatically illegal and Nintendo could emit cease and desist orders against its developers and start sueing them. If they become really interested in making their emulator the only one, they could start a fight that would, at least, make way less emulators available.

No! I won't allow them to start a fight against the beautiful VBA emulator ;(

I hope they make all GB emulators on Android illegal and taken off the shop.  They then can enjoy paying 3-6 dollars per game.

Around the Network

Seems like an update to patents they already had? Those diagrams look really dated, and PDAs have been dead for a long time now.

Maybe they don't want people using emulators so they're stopping it by eventually gaining the rights to GameBoy emulators

XBOX ONE/Wii U/3DS/PC

RIP Iwata 12/6/1959-7/11/2015

Thanks for all the great memories!

Squeezol said:

No! I won't allow them to start a fight against the beautiful VBA emulator ;(

Let's grab our torches and march towards Nintendo HQ!! They will have to cease their thread against the beautiful emulators!!

Now serious, try Retroarch. It's a multi-system emulator (SMS, Genesis, GB, GBA, PS1, SNES, NES, N64, Virtual Boy and so on) and it's available for Windows, Mac, Linux, Android and so on!

mii-gamer said:
AnthonyW86 said:
mii-gamer said:
XanderXT said:

Not before Sony gives the Wii U PS1 emulation.

oh dude, don't feed it

Well one can always dream right? :-p But Wii-U's install base is to small honestly, bringing some older titles to ps4 would be very profitable for Nintendo.

Nintendo doesn't even bring N64 games on the wii u virtual console :(

I though you could use all the Wii features on Wii-U? Not the virtual console then?