By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

VanceIX said:

Many times complications come up during development that require the game to be delayed. This generation especially, where the codes for games are so complex, there is a high chance for a game to come out buggy. Publishers will try to force a release date to meet holiday rush and appease stock holders, but this has negatively affected games. Sometimes, publishers just need to admit defeat and give the devs more time to polish their work.

Every software development team faces that and if it have to be delayed it is because the Project was bad managed / planned.

You are giving excuses to delays... there is no excuses.

This is in every single book/article about Project Management Mistakes.

Around the Network
ethomaz said:

VanceIX said:

Many times complications come up during development that require the game to be delayed. This generation especially, where the codes for games are so complex, there is a high chance for a game to come out buggy. Publishers will try to force a release date to meet holiday rush and appease stock holders, but this has negatively affected games. Sometimes, publishers just need to admit defeat and give the devs more time to polish their work.

Every software development team faces that and if it have to be delayed it is because the Project was bad managed / planned.

You are giving excuses to delays... there is no excuses.

This is in every single book/article about Project Management Mistakes.

Are you a AAA dev? If not, I don't think you can comment on how much work it takes to make a AAA game. The publishers are pressuring devs more than any other generation to meet deadlines with the same development time as previous gens, which simply isn't possbile due to how complex games are now.

You're Gonna Carry That Weight.

Xbox One - PS4 - Wii U - PC

VanceIX said:

Are you a AAA dev? If not, I don't think you can comment on how much work it takes to make a AAA game. The publishers are pressuring devs more than any other generation to meet deadlines with the same development time as previous gens, which simply isn't possbile due to how complex games are now.

For gaming? No... but I'm a dev and work with that every single day.

To be fair you see a lot of heads rolling with these delays... there are project mistakes/errors... bad schedulle... bad management... no matter how you spin it if something wrong happens it is your fault... you need to predict these things and do a proper job.

ethomaz said:

VanceIX said:

For gaming? No... but I'm a dev and work with that every single day.

To be fair you see a lot of heads rolling with these delays... there are project mistakes/errors... bad schedulle... bad management... no matter how you spin it if something wrong happens it is your fault... you need to predict these things and do a proper job.

So, no blame at all goes to publishers?

Alright, to each his own. I'd rather see my games not be terrible, though, even if it means a slight delay.

You're Gonna Carry That Weight.

Xbox One - PS4 - Wii U - PC

ethomaz said:

Your new stance is a excuse for poorly developer/publisher schedule and management.

The game don't need to be delayed to be good... it needs to be planned with the right date... instead to push a holiday 2014 launch just say your game is scheduled to March 2015.

Say we needs delays is a terrible ideia... anybody that works on any software project knows if you need delay a project is because you planned it wrong.

Games needs to have good planning.

I agree with you, but once that bad management has happened, publishers have 2 options: either launch the game/product broken or delay it to get it fixed.

The problem comes when publishers opt for the first option instead of the second one.

Please excuse my bad English.

Currently gaming on a PC with an i5-4670k@stock (for now), 16Gb RAM 1600 MHz and a GTX 1070

Steam / Live / NNID : jonxiquet    Add me if you want, but I'm a single player gamer.

Around the Network
kitler53 said:
@1 - game delays can be good. i feel this is situational as some delay can be absurd (TLG i'm looking at you). really what we need is fewer announcements that are 2+ years out. when a game is announced they should be confident they can ship within a year.

@2 - no opinion, i'm not a fan of the franchise at all.

@3 - my opinion has changed here too. ubi used to be pretty cool but this gen it has been failure after failure.

Other than AC Unity, what else has Ubisoft done wrong? 

NNID: FrequentFlyer54

VanceIX said:

So, no blame at all goes to publishers?

Alright, to each his own. I'd rather see my games not be terrible, though, even if it means a slight delay.

I wrote Publisher/Developer like the same in the first phase...

Nobody see them like a separated team.

I have two IBM difference teams working for the same Customer... for the Customer everybody is IBM but internally our are difference developer teams working for IBM (it will be a bit hard to explain the estructure so just think each project at IBM is individual working for a big publisher called IBM).

If one of the teams make a mistake or dealy something everything goes to IBM... no matter how I say but my projet/team is on schedule.

Bad management is bad management... if you delayed something is becuase your plan was wrong.

MoHasanie said:
kitler53 said:
@1 - game delays can be good. i feel this is situational as some delay can be absurd (TLG i'm looking at you). really what we need is fewer announcements that are 2+ years out. when a game is announced they should be confident they can ship within a year.

@2 - no opinion, i'm not a fan of the franchise at all.

@3 - my opinion has changed here too. ubi used to be pretty cool but this gen it has been failure after failure.

Other than AC Unity, what else has Ubisoft done wrong? 

Watch_Dogs, The Crew, Soon to be The Division

PC Specs: CPU: 7800X3D || GPU: Strix 4090 || RAM: 32GB DDR5 6000 || Main SSD: WD 2TB SN850

Interesting thread.
I actually very much agree on delays and ubisoft. I haven't played gta5 yet so I can't comment, but I previously felt the same way about those points.
I'm actually pretty upset with all three big companies right now because it's painfully obvious that Sony, MS, and Ubi all released semi-broken games just so that they'd have a big-ticket title in time for the holidays.

JEMC said:

I agree with you, but once that bad management has happened, publishers have 2 options: either launch the game/product broken or delay it to get it fixed.

The problem comes when publishers opt for the first option instead of the second one.

I agree... delays are needed if the "bad" happened but you can't start to expect that games needs to be delayed... it is wrong to expect that... Publishers/Developers needs to get the shit right and give proper dates and no delays.

"My New Stance: We need more delays."

There is so many things wrong in this prase that it is killing the industry.

We don't need more delays... we need good developements in the right time... if the right time is March 2015 then plan the game for the March 2015 instead Holidays 2014.